Fed up with my bladder

Posted , 6 users are following.

Eight weeks on from having a rectocele and enterocele op my bladder has been playing up . At first I thought that I had a bladder infection but tests came back negative. The surgeon had noted before the op that my cystocele was noticeable but did not rpair at same time as other as would have been too complicated. Having seen the GP again today she has sent my surgeon a letter to see if he can bring forward my appointment from March as she thinks it is cystocele causing the problem. I am so fed up. I dare not leave the house for long as both my bowel and bladder are completely unreliable.

GP told me to drink only water and eat less fruit and veg temporarily and if bowel still bad after a day to take Immodium.I had stopped taking Lavido stool softener two days ago but I am terrified of going the other way and becoming constipated!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Angela I am six weeks post op posterior repair for stage 3 rectoenterocele. I had exactly the same problems with my bladder last week and saw gp and she gave me antibiotics - a little bit has improved but still have burning and pain went back to gp and she said results said only weak infection and the antibiotics should of cleared it! Am worried incase I have issues of cystocele as that's why I was originally referred to urogynaecologist after pelvic floor therapy because they and gp said I had cystocele but surgery didn't seem mention this!! Had post op the other day and didn't mention cystocele as I am worried it's all failed anyway as I feel worse than before but from this forum I believe that could be part of recovery so hopefully not but it does make you think. Hope you are ok and find out what's wrong x

• Posted

It sounds similar doesnt it? The surgeon noticed my cystocele but said it was mild and concentrated on rectocele and enterocele. I also had a sacro something that is a stitch to my buttock pulling up vaginal vault. I hope he does bring forward my appointment so at least I will know what to expect. I am having to rely on so many people at the moment for school runs and my horse and normally I look after my one year old grand daughter but cant lift her. Lets hope we both have a sudden feeling better day!
    • Posted

Yes it does feel similar that's what I thought when I read your post. I don't know what has happened to the cystocele that they thought I had originally but you ask so many things at appointment that I forgot! I know what you mean - I've got a sickness meeting at work this week and they are going to wonder when I'm hoping to come back and I don't have a clue as yet as it's a physical job! I am getting quite depressed with how I am feeling and worrying whether it has failed or not and when I can get back to doing more usual things as like you I am usually busy so that's making me more irritable and grumpy!!! Good luck with getting your appointment soon and let us know how it goes x Take care x

• Posted

I am going through the same thing. I am 9 weeks post rectocele and started having problems with bladder, constant urge to pee and burning pain in lower abdomen. Went to gp she didn't check my urine but gave me nitrofurantoin for 7 days, took them no improvement what so ever so back to gp. This time took a sample sent it of to lab came back with ecoli infection so he gave me trimethoprim 14 day course I am on day 7 and maybe there has been a slight improvement not much. If you still feel like you have infection go back to gp and get another sample tested at lab. Some of the ladies here have recommended d mannose for uti which you can get online I have got some and going to give it a go. Will let you know how I get on. I am going to take it alongside the antibiotic.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, hope you feel better soon x That is exactly the medication the gp gave me a 7 day course of nitrofurantoin! I said to the gp if I still have the symptoms next week I'll go back because when they said it was only a mild infection I just thought the symptoms must be related to recovery but I will go back now next week as it could be something else! Thank you for letting us know x Hope the new medication works soon for you x

• Posted

Yes that is the antibiotic that she gave me but the test came back negative but she said if still bad on Monday to put in another urine specimen, maybe a stool specimen and some blood tests. I hope they sort it out soon. My daughter in law thinks she may have to get a childminder if i am not better soon and I hate the idea. I have got to be better enough to see my little boy in his show in two weeks but at least there are toilets there. I cant go and see my horse even as the car takes twenty mins to get to farm and no toilets there. normally I can manage to go in a bucket when I am well but it is a bit more complicated at the moment ha ha! Do you feel like your bladder does not fully empty too?

• Posted

Yes I feel like I want to go all the time even after I have gone the feeling never goes. I was worried that is was something to do with the surgery at first but when the sample can back positive I thought that was good in a way. But 4 weeks on I am just worn out with it all. I know what you mean about going out. I just want my life back.
    • Posted

I am on day 9 of my antibiotics and feel a little better today. My gp has said to put another sample in even though I am still on antibiotics for another 5 days. Does anyone know as I am on antibiotics will that affect the result of the culture?
  • Posted

Hi, I too had a rectocele repair on 31.8.16 then 4 weeks later started to have bladder problems, constantly needing a wee sometimes with great urgency only to find when I got to the toilet I hardly passed anything. Occasional leakage too, something I didn't have before the op. I went to my gp incase I had an infection he gave me an antibiotic and sent sample off. It came back negative.

I then noticed another lump and began to think I had a cystocele (there was mention of a small one at my very first appt.) At my post op check this was confirmed but healing on first op was slow. I had to have urodynamics test done which I think proved nothing.

At a follow up yesterday consultant seems to think small cystocele plus bladder problem so now trying a medication to lessen urgency. Anyone else tried this? He did say they would operate if necessary. I am just fed up of not being able to do a full day on my feet as this seems to make it worse and I spend my evenings in the bathroom!

• Posted

Thats interesting and similar to my problem.If I am on my feet or even sitting upright the urgency to pass urine is terrible but lying down I can go for much longer so it seem like something presses on my bladder when I am more upright. 

I hope the medication helps you and that maybe you will not need more surgery

• Posted

I also feel better when I am lying down. I did not have any problems with bladder before surgery, but was kept awake last night with burning pain in lower abdomen.
    • Posted

Ladies, I'm exacly in same boat.

I had posterior repair, TVT and scra something 13 weeks ago. I did't have any bladder problem before surgery.

A week ago, I found anterior wall slip in and GP admittet it. Today I'm going to toilet every hour and having awful tampon feeling which I never had with posterior wall. Don't know what to do.

• Posted

Hi, I know its been a while but I had anterior repair and TVT(sub urethral sling) at the end of may all was fine until 3 weeks ago when i had all symptoms of a urine infection. Sample came back clear but i had already started anibiotic. things got better for a week or so then last week it started again. Sense of urgency to pass urine, trouble urinating, pain when urinating, passing very little, low abdominal pain, blood in urine some days. 2 samples sent for testing both came back negative for infection. Really puzzled have Dr appointment monday as something isnt right.

I was wondering how your recovery was going after your TVT as it was longer ago than mine? I'm hoping my problem isnt connected to my op. Both my prolapse repairs seem fine.

• Posted

Hi Julie. I've been reading your older posts as I'm having bladder problems after a posterior repair and sacrospinous fixation for vault prolapse early May. in All has gone well until about 3-4 weeks ago I started having bladder problems like stinging, needing to go for a wee every 20-30 mins when on my feet but longer if lying downand a heavy sensation inside vagina and rectum. I'm feeling so tired and out of sorts as I'm now almost 14 weeks post op and very upset as everything seemed to be healing well. My GP has given me some anti biotic named Genfura to take for one week. I couldn't get a urine check sent off Friday PM  as it was too late to send it  due to the weekend and lab must be closed. My doc dipped it and said was a bit dodgy, whatever that means. I have to take it next week but not sure if it will show anything due to taking the anti biotics so may wait until they are finished. I've had a few problems emptying bladder since surgery, have to change position several times so I think there must be some swelling inside still. I was told originally that recovery would take at least 3-4 months and maybe longer. I'm now 74 so I think that it may be the reason it is taking longer, weaker skin/tissues post meno! I tried the Estriol cream prior to surgery but had to stop as it caused a bad reaction to my skin in that area, very sore and painful. I had a bad reaction to the pills which are supposed to reduce urgency too. I think we are more prone to these types of infection post surgery and can't really avoid them even with good hygiene. ( I'm thinking of public loos when we're out!) I'm now praying that I don't have an anterior prolapse, I don't think I can face more surgery as this was my 3rd pelvic prolapse, the others were 34 and 15 years ago. This time  mostly due to not being advised post ops on what type of work and activities to avoid if I did not want it to happen again! I hope you have better news on Monday.

PS, I've not had a post op appointment yet as they are all running late at my hospital  due to staff problems! rolleyes

• Posted

Oh dear, doesn't sound like you are having much fun either.

All my results they said came back clear! Which is most odd as the last one was blood colour!

?I had been looking on the internet and came up with Urethritis or abcaterial cystitis both were my symptoms to a tee. They said white blood cells in sample show infection but not bacterial. I saw a locum and told her my findings she seemed to agree with me and when she looked at results said yes your white blood cells were high! (my own doctor hadn't picked up on this!) as I was better when I went, typical!, she gave me a form and sample bottle for if it flares again plus a prescription to get straight away. As I go on holiday in 5 weeks if I haven't got it dispensed I am going to do so to take it with me just in case!

?I hope you do get sorted soon and it is just a case of longer recovery, take it easy. I hope your appointment comes soon.

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm still not back to normal either but not taken another sample in yet as I've only just finished the antibiotics which caused some nasty side effects for me. Joint and muscle pains have become really bad,

( I have arthritis.) These were among the listed side effects and I'm now loth to try them again as I think the infection has improved. If you think you may need the pills on holiday I would get them soon as the prescription only lasts a couple of weeks or so from date on it I think. Poll X rolleyes 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.