Feedback from keen exercisers before surgery...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Booked in for a posterior vaginal wall prolapse repair on 26 August (live in Aust) and I am petrified after reading all the books I was advised to get that I will just become overweight. I am 50 and have always exercised alot jogging, spin bike classes, pump weight classes & pilates.  It helps me mentally as I suffer from depression and I also have to be careful not to put on weight as diabetes is in my family.  After reading through the discussions it seems you really have to do nothing at all for quite some time.  I am worried that my life won't return to the way it was before.  I would appreciate any feedback from ladies that were avid exercisers before a similar surgery.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rita,

i had this op in January and had the same fears as you. Started walking after 2 weeks and after 3 days and an hour walking each day I realised I was doing too much when I had some new but slight bleeding and a bit of an ache in my lower abdomen. Immediately had a few more days rest then restarted walking but building up very gradually.. 15 mins, 30 mins and so on. I was

careful with my diet-no wine or sweets and no eating between meals and

my weight remained stable. Didn't resume swimming or any other exercise other than walking until 6 weeks after. Was advised by a physio to avoid anything high impact as this may cause further prolapse so have decided to do some different classes. Cycling should be ok but maybe not spinning-check with your instructor.Pilates would also be good but again let your instructor know as you may have to adapt or miss out some things

I would think lifting weights may be a no. However ,everyone is different and I am older(59) so you may heal better and be able to do more in time. Doing pelvic floor exercises is a must but they are tricky to do so a session with a physio might be a good idea.

Try not to worry,many people who don't use this site will have no further problems and you may be one of the lucky ones. Don't be too impatient, just be careful with your diet and think positive. Linda

p.s.i am still the same weight as before

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thank you for your reply.  Patience will be my biggest obstacle along with no sweets!! I find it hard not to have something sweet after a meal.  I usually have a date or a small piece of dark 70% chocolate. I am trying the 5:2 diet at the moment to try and get my weight down a bit (3 kgs) before the surgery.  My family is all about good food so it will be hard but if I don't keep my weight down I will get very depressed. I find alot of the feedback on this forum seems to be 8 months recovery.... that seems so long.  Hopefully it will all be okay.  Thanks so much for your reply.

• Posted

Dear Rita,

I was able to start walking after 3 weeks or so.  I'm 8 months out and can do the the treadmill.  I'm not very active but I only put on 5 pounds or so - you just have to be diligent about watching your diet.  Since you are apparently in such good shape you should be ok to exercise before too much time passes - but will need clearance from your surgeon.

• Posted

Hi Rita2602, I just replied on another post - I wanted to add that you are doing a lot of high impact exercise, this will be adding considerable pressure to your already weak pelvic floor. Check out safe exercises for prolpase on You Tube by an Aussie Physio called Michelle Kenway - she tells us how to avoid putting striain on a prolpase, or prolpase repair.

Also have a look at US Physio Tasha Mulligan (hab-it DVD - free films on You Tube) and Physio Sur Croft. They will tell you how you can adapt your exercises to make sure they are safe so that you can get strong to prevent prolpase happening again...I'm really not sure about the jogging though or weight lifting - the last thing you want is to have to have surgery again, and second, third and fourth surgeries are common, and eash one is less successful than the last.

Good Luck

• Posted

Hello

I just wanted to warn you to ere on the side of caution when exercising after your op.

I am a dance and fitness teacher and had my op for anterior and posterior repair in December 2014. I wanted to get back to teaching my classes as quick as possible. I started back 8 weeks later. I gradually exercised by walking and performing all the pelvic floor exercises each day. I can not express strongly enough that if you go all out to get back to your exercise regime you will harm your recovery and you will slide back and regret it. Little by little is the way to go. Over stretching in the early stages is not good. To begin with I did my class in the mornings and slept in the afternoons. Your body will need this even if you think you don't. So take it steady and remember that you definitely do not want to have to go through this operation again because you were impatient to get on with your life.

Good luck .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.