Feel awful. What do you think is happening?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am in that awful waiting game between tests. I had neutropenia and my TSH was high. T4 was 13, so on the low side. I was having terrible oral symptoms of painful sore mouth, swollen tongue and teeth pain. I was not eating well. I had dropped my dose a few days before my last endo appointment due to the symptoms but even though the oral symptoms reduced, I felt very stressed and tired. Endo was not pleased I had cut my dose completely and reinstated me on 5mg despite my neutropenia.

I felt much better for a few days and seemed on the up. Then a week last Saturday I was put under tremendous stress by a family row and had a 'hyper attack' that night with racing pulse all night and zero sleep. Since then I have declined rapidly. My pulse recovered but my blood pressure is often under 100/60, and I feel so week, dizzy and shattered. I have lost more weight as I am not eating well and have to force down every mosel. My endo ordered tests for next Tuesday and said to see him a week later so I am in limbo. I can't work out if I am hyper (pulse is in the 70s so not majorly fast but I have night sweats and hot flashes. My legs ache like they did when I was really hyper), or hypo (I am so tired. My hot flashes alternate with feeling cold and my BP is so low). Anyone else who is hyper get hot flashes and then sometimes feel cold? Thanks

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes.
    • Posted

Thanks, Sandi. I am sure I am hyper again but the occasional feeling of cold was confusing me.
    • Posted

Evergreen Perhaps you have fluctuating thyroiditis or some med caused a suppression of the TSH?
    • Posted

I know I shouldn't say this because it p*ssed off my endo when I did it but you know your body, change the medicine dose a tad if you think you're hyper again. I would increase it either 2.5 mg or 5 mg but call their office and let the nurse know. You don't want to be hyper, bad things can happen. Hypo is better than hyper babe. Good luck. I'll want an update. I did my blood labs last Friday, just waiting on my primary care doc to read them. My endo is out having her baby.

• Posted

It definitely seems to fluctuate. My GP described my thyroid as spluttering.
    • Posted

Can you do a self test? Fingerprick test of tsh?

• Posted

Yes, you can buy TSH kits from Amazon. However, as TSH often lags behind changes in T4 and T3, it wouldn't give me the full picture. I am getting tested tomorrow at the doctors and will have my results on Friday.

• Posted

THanks evergreen. I am a novice to this tbh and only know a bit about the thyroid , the tests and how to interpret the results.

Would you mind explaining what lagging behind changes in T3 and T4 means as GP only tested TSH and Free T4 last week.

I have to be honest and say that I cannot get my head round what T3 and T4 are and why they are done and why they are supposed to be done together.

I have sent u a PM stating the GP says that a detectable TSH does not require treating! Feel I am going mad or madder! LOL! No laughing matter but you know what I mean. xx

Many thanks .xx

• Posted

Thanks, Delirious. This site is playing up for me and everything I write takes an age to post so I'll answer here rather than both here and PM. TSH is a measure of what our body wants. So if it thinks we are too low in T4 and T3 then TSH will increase to ask for more, even if we are within 'normal range'. This is what is so frustrating to me because some people need to be right at the bottom of normal, others right at the top and others somewhere in between. If we are anywhere else along the 'normal range' we will feel dreadful (like most of us do, unfortunately). Yet doctors just see us in the 'normal range' and think they have done their jobs rather than listening to the patient saying 'I may be in the normal range but I still feel awful'. The pituitory is quite slow to respond to the levels of T4 and T3 and the amount of TSH made corresponds to where we were 6 weeks ago. This is fine in a normal person, but with people who have thyroid problems, we may have passed our perfect level by the time the TSH stabilises and so everything is wrong again. That is my understanding of it all, from what I have learned so far from various sources.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.