Feel extremely sick- panicking so much??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone!

I'm a bit freaked out right now. I'm a healthy 16 year old girl who rarely gets sick, and when I do, it's very mild. Since Monday, I've been feeling super strange. I've been extremely fatigued, my muscles feel weak (walking and holding up my arms feels like an effort), my skin has that weird feeling you get when you're sick (when you touch it it kind of gives you shivers/hurts a bit/feels achey), and I just feel generally awful. My other symptoms include a minor tight/scratchy/strange feeling throat, a bit of dizziness/confusion, minor headaches, a loss of appetite, nausea (hard to explain- don't really feel sick to my stomach but still feel like I'm going to throw up? Like I definitely couldn't eat right now or anything), and a little bit of congestion (only in the mornings). I've been sleeping fine and nothing in my daily routine has changed. I was visiting colleges over the weekend so I'm super scared that I picked up some kind of serious virus or infection there. I'm not sure whether or not I have a fever, as the only thermometer in the house is broken. I don't want to wake my parents up because they'll get super angry. But something feels SO wrong, I don't remember the last time I felt this awful. I'm concerned because it's been four days of this now.

I'm extremely emetephobic (afraid of vomiting) and I'm afraid to go to sleep because I'm scared that I'll wake up and vomit in my sleep. I have school tomorrow but if I still feel like this in the morning there's no way I can go, even though I stayed home Wednesday because I felt awful. My parents get mad when I miss school and they don't believe that I'm actually feeling this sick, they just think it's anxiety or allergies (don't even know if I have them- if I do they're very minor and seasonal) but this time I'm pretty sure it's not. I really want to go to the doctor tomorrow, but I really don't want to miss school at the same time, as they'll most likely ground me, plus I have a lot of things to do. I can't shake the fear that I have some kind of crazy infection that's going to hospitalize me or make me extremely sick. I'm not good at handling being sick, hence why I'm completely freaking out right now. My symptoms are too vague to attribute it to a certain illness (flu, cold, gastroenteritis), as I've had no blantantly obvious symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, runny nose, super sore throat, etc. I feel so strange and I'm terrified. I have dramamine on hand but I'm trying not to take it.

I have no idea what to do. What could be going on? What should I do about it?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Oh man I totally get your situation. I'm 17 years old, a girl, senior in highschool and I have a history of skipping the sh*t outta all my classes for the past 5 years. If I've learned anything, it's to put my health first. Go see a doctor, try to reason with your parents and if they don't listen to you, it doesn't exactly matter because YOU know what you're going through.

From the sounds of it, it seems like you've had a really bad anxiety attack and are still recovering from it. Either that, or your body has been thrown off by something (have you eaten a new food? Major dietary changes? Something changed in your life? Exercised more than what's normal for you? Maybe you're not getting enough iron or B-12? Etc). Other than that it just sounds like you've got a minor cold or flu. Don't assume the worst, but, don't avoid getting help just because you think you're overreacting. Go see a doctor so you don't have to fret anymore. You're definitely not dying.

Drink some tea, lay down in bed with your softest blankets and favorite PJs, and do something you really like. Get a good night's sleep and go to the hospital tomorrow. You'll get better.

On another note, please don't skip school purely because you don't want to go. It's the entire reason why I probably won't graduate with my friends. Pull yourself out of bed, put your comfiest clothes on, put your hair in a bun and get to school. Sleep during your spares, listen to music while you work. Try to find something to enjoy about your assignments. School isn't nearly as bad as we all make it... Really you just have to sit for 6 hours then you get to go home and do whatever you'd like.

If you absolutely don't want to go, sleep in for an hour and go to whatever classes you have left. We can do this, both of us. Get well soon

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply!! I don't skip, but I do have a phobia related to school so that's why I miss classes. I actually like school and would prefer being there than staying home, haha. Today I ended up going in for a bit to get to some of my classes but I came home early and have a doctors appointment at 2 so hopefully my doctor can figure out what's going on.
  • Posted

Hi, my name is famke and i always have lots of pain in my stomach, but 1 year ago i went to spain with my friends and started too feel really bad, i went to the hospital and they tought it was just a kind of virus, but right at this moment i still feel terrible, the same things as you, i am also very scared to vomit and i cant take big pills (also scared of needles)

Went to the doctor for like 3 times now and they still think im pretending to feel this bad..

• Posted

Its been 9 months I'm wondering how you feeling now?. I'm having the same exact symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.