Feel horrible on mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm on my second day of mirtazapine and I feel so horrible I have really bad anxiety I feel shakey, so tired, really depressed and so out of it! I'm also on citalopram which I've been taking for 6 years, I feel like I should be in a straight jacket! Will I start feeling better soon? I'm thinking about stopping them because I can't cope with these side effects

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

To be put on both Citalopram and Mirtazapine is one hell of a combination - I'm surpised your GP has prescribed both simulaneously. I've been on Mirtazapine for 5 months now for anxiety and I'm much improved, but I too had many side effects and still do sometimes. The main ones were being groggy in the mornings struggling to wake up, weight gain, nausea, some dizziness and even some anxiety at times. But overall I've come a long way to the good so it is worth perservering with the Mirt but maybe it's worth a try without the Citalopram??

Also lots of other things have helped me too like counselling, stress and mood management courses, psychotherapy, exercise, good diet, drinking plenty of water, researching/reading up on the problem, meditation, etc. I can't recommend these things enough!

I hope you find your way to happier times Pamela.

• Posted

Didn't think u could take two lots of same meds but I'm not a doctor hope u feel better soon

• Posted

I disagree with some other posters.  Citalopram  plus mirt is okay.  The idea is that one mitigates the side effects of the other. 

Do not be put off mirt after only 2 days.  Often you do get worse before you get better.   Give it at least 2 weeks.   

Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi pamela,

Firstly, we have to accep depression as part of our life; when you do that medicaments start helping us otherwise you always feel bad; I am 34 and I've been on med since I was 12 but the best one has been mirtazapine. Just try to take a deep breath and go with the flow.

Depression and anxiety are illness such as diabetes, cancer etc. if you don't take the medicine you are not going to feel better, I manage this anxiety doing a lot of stuff, cooking exercising everything.

Good luck

Lot of love

Maritza

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear you have been on meds since you were 12, I'm 35 and bee suffering on and off with depression for about 12 years, there's a lot of mental illnesses in my mother's side of the family! , I halved my tablet last night as yesterday I was something out of it it was horrible! I feel a lot better today then yesterday! Not really zoned out today or groggy! I'm sticking with the meds and hopefully they will start working soon take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.