Feel like I'm losing my mind

Posted , 2 users are following.

I lost my only daughter 13 years ago to a genetic heart condition, 4 years later, my 23 year old son killed himself. A few months later, I had my first panic attack.

Since then, I have had panic and anxiety attacks several times and I find myself losing time, complete memory loss, and in stressful situations I have even felt like I was sitting by,

As if someone else is dealing with it and I'm just watching. I speak and go through the motions, but it's like I'm not really there. Afterwards, it feels like a dream and I only remember a few details. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

HI Deborah

My goodness you've been through so much. I'm so very sorry or the loss of your children. My heart goes out to you, I can't imagine the heartache,

Have you talked to a psychologist? It sounds like you anxiety is extreme and understandably so. I know when I'm very anxious and stressed I don't remember things. I can't even remember a thought I was just thinking, it's very strange. Maybe you should talk to your doctor and get things checked out and possibly get on a medication to help the stress and anxiety. Then see about a referral to a psychologist to talk to. They really can help.

I hope you feel better and again I'm so sorry

Hugs to you

• Posted

Thank you Patty, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, I was on a couple of different antidepressants,

Paxil and cymbalta, I went off the cymbalta after my hyperthyroidism kicked in because it made my insomnia worse.

Honestly, I haven't had a full night's sleep since my son's suicide, and the thyroid thing only made it twice as bad. I probably should seek

counseling, I thought I was doing a little better, but after a very stressful situation caused me to lose major

Parts of an important conversation, I'm re-thinking the whole thing. I hate not remembering things I've said and done, it makes me feel stupid.

• Posted

HI Deborah

Are you being treated for the hyperthyroid?  My sister is hyper also and she takes propranolol and she said it has helped so much with her stress and anxiety, she is slowling coming off of the methamysol but she said she will never stop the propranolol.  She was not able to sleep at all and she was feeling like she couldn't handle anything when she was first diagnosed, by she is doining much better now.   I do know thyroid issues will make anxiety much worse.  I've been hypo for many years and when my meds are off I get more anxious than normal.  

Don't feel stupid, your stressed and it causes a lot of crazy stuff.  I hope you feel better, if you need to chat just let me know.   

• Posted

No medication for my thyroid, it's only one level that is slightly higher, just enough to make me miserable. It definitely has made the anxiety worse though. Something else to bring up to my Dr I guess.

• Posted

If your not seeing an endocrinologist this may be the doc you'll want to see.  They specialize in thyroid disorders.   Sometimes thyroid conditions take a while to figure our.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.