Feel like my life is over

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I've been suffering from anxiety since February. Had every physical symptom you could possibly imagine. Currently my main symptoms are back at the base of my neck on the right side below the base of my skull, chest heaviness, tingling fingers and lip, feeling detatched and spaced out a lot, especially in the evenings, fatigue, and the worst is a strange sensation at the back of my throat which makes me want to click my tongue/palette and sometimes feels like my throat is going to close. I also have an akomost constant sense of impending doom and am convinced that my death is imminent.

I was signed off for three weeks at work and have now been back for two weeks but on reduced hours. Work have now told me if I carry on doing reduced hours they will have to reduce my salary.

I've stopped enjoying everything. Don't really even want to go out and when I do I'm constantly conscious of my physical symptoms and it just stops me having fun. I'm too scared to even walk to the shops on my own and don't even want to spend much time with my boyfriend anymore cos I feel so bad and don't want to bring him down but avoiding him brings him down anyway.

Work is so draining and I really am convinced I'm going to die. I'm struggling to see a way up from here and can't see a future for myself :-( even the thought of going on holiday terrifies me. I just don't know what to do any more :-(

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It's sounds crazy but it's your thinking patterns that's doing all this to you. Have you had any therapy? Seen a counsellor?
    • Posted

I'm having CBT at the moment. Have had five sessions but don't feel like it's helping. I can't shake off the feeling my death will be soon and until I do I don't know how I can get on with my life :-(
    • Posted

Okay that's a good start. Keep with it. It does work! There's another method I found helpful and that's called the 'emotional freedom technique' it uses accupressure points in your body and detached a feeling from a thought. So if you know what reoccurring thoughts you have and what feelings you get with them, then you're half way there!

Do you know why you feel this way?

• Posted

Have you told your'e counsellor everything about your fears and symptoms, because sometimes people dont.  

Have you had medical checks done by your'e doctor to alleviate worries about your'e physical symptoms. You really need to do this if you havent.

I have had terrible health anxiety and fear of dying. Somehow I got over it. I had alot of medical tests, and to deal with the other thing, its best to focus outwards on something thats nothing to do with you personally, like a hobby you can really get into, or a cause to promote - something you feel you could really believe in and fight for. 

You may feel hopeless just now,but really these things can help alot. We all need distractions otherwise we just become too introspective.

• Posted

It's nice to hear some positivity from someone who's getting/got better. 👏
  • Posted

Impending doom is part of anxiety disorder. Stay with the cbt and use it. Get some meditations that attract you and use them. Knowledge is only as powerful as the power you give it. You need to use what you are learning so it can help. I read your story and many things sound familiar and some do not but self love is lacking here. You must give yourself the compassion you wiuld give a stranger even. I dont know if you take any meds or if you need them but a doctor is a good idea to evaluate this.agoraphobia walks hand in hand with panic disorders at many points in time. Somehow you need sleep. You sound exhausted and drained. There are so many calming music meditations or even some sleep hypnosis to get some rest. Do not give up. Keep pushing ahead it does get better. many counselors can do therapy online as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.