Feel like stoping citalapram

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

16 weeks on 20mg and just over 3 weeks on 30mg and I feel so depressed and my head racing negative thought surely after all this time this can't be right as any one gone on this long and still felt this way ?

Thanks

1 like, 33 replies

Report / Delete

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Some people find that 30mg is too big a dose for them, and reducing back to 20mg helps.  I've also read some people find Escitalopram is better for them - similar to Citalopram but works quicker and has less side effects (apparently).

Maybe try reducing first?

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don. Ya gotta stick to the plan ole boy. I dont think 3 weeks is long enough on the 30's. But I'm not an expert by anymeans. I just started feeling good last week and thats 4 weeks after my dossage was upped. Give it a little more time. U owe urself that. Cant quit now!!!!!! Do u exercise at all? I found that helps a lot! Are u sleeping well? I find that if I dont get a good sleep, like last nite, that it screws up my whole next day. Like today. Lol. Dont give up yet!!!!!!!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for advice

Yes I'm doing everything exercising eating better things cut down on the drinking I get about 6 hour sleep every night witch isn't to bad I'm doing a lot of reading accepunture back to Cbt next week it's costing me a fortune going to see what doc says on Monday

Thanks again

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Geez Don I think ur doing all the right things. I did accupuncture too and it helped a lot. Guess its time that you need!!! Sure sux feeling this way. I'm having a semi crappy day myself so I hope I feel better this aft!!!!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Do u feel worse since upping ur dose? If not then id say give 30 mg a little longer u have came this far another few weeks maybe not even that long if u still dont feel better review with gp.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Four months is plenty of time to give one of these drugs time to work.  If you are feeling worse at this point than before you went on, then it is NOT a match for you.  In some people an increased serotonin level CAUSES mood problems, so that may be you.  Have you ever been on SSRIs before?

You have a chance to get off this med relatively unscathed if you taper off now.  You should taper as long as you have been on, so over four months.  The tapers most people do, usually by doctor's orders, is too fast and will cause withdrawal.  The longer you stay on waiting for this to work, the more hooked your nervous system will be and the tougher it will be to come off.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for reply

I was on these meds for about 10 years 20mg with good results then they stopped working doc said and the last 2 1/2 years I've been trying different meds with no joy so doc said try these again I feel stuck and don't k ow what to do 😬

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It is a dicey situation because, although the other meds didn't work for you, if you were on them for any length of time (3 or more months) your nervous system will have adapted to their presence nonetheless, remodeling to take their affect on neurotransmitters into account.  That means withdrawal if you stop them too quickly/suddenly, switch to another med, etc.  All the switching around causes the nervous system to be super-sensitized to future psych meds.  What is your last drug and how long were you on it?
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Duh, just reread that it was 16 weeks and then upped the dose for the last three weeks.  I would reduce back to the previous dose, hold there for a month and then do a slow taper off from there.  And I'm talking SLOW, not slow like off in a month.  I am sending you a PM.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Forgot to add Don, you've had a good spell recently haven't you ....... was that on 30mg or 20mg?  If you'd not had any reaction at all then I'd say come off and try Escitalopram, but as you've had a good spell then I reckon the meds are working and you're going through a blip.  If you had he good spell on 20mg then maybe reduce to that dose again, but as the other said here try giving 30mg just that little bit longer.

Recovery on these meds is always full highs and lows, and the lows make us despondent, impatient and fed up.  It's pushing on through this which is the hardest.

K x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again Don

If it were me I'd drop back to 20mg and let the meds settle.  Upping a dose doesn't agree with everyone and do know a lot of people have lowered again.  A larger dose doesn't necessarily bring recovery any quicker nor does it mean you'll escape side effects - in fact it makes it worse temporarily, and of course they do wear off.  A lot of people thrive on 30mg but if you're struggling then consider lowering again.  It'll take a while for it all to settle.

As you had started to have a good period on 20mg just before you increased, I'd say the meds had started to kick in.  You were on 20mg before and they worked, so they'll work again.  They don't normally just stop working, and you'll probably find something happened to make the stress rise a bit and in turn brought about anxiety again.  I think you said something stressful had happened running up to it all.

David21660 upped to 30mg and struggled so lowered back again.  I believe he tried again once all had settled and got on better.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Don 

I agree with Katecogs you did have a spell of wellness on 20 mg so maybe reduce back to 20mg and then give it some time to adjust.This is what you should discuss with your doctor on Monday.I agree that they don't understand anxiety like we all do but they are the ones who can prescribe so you need to communicate what you feel is best for you too.

This sounds like the best plan Don ,so try this before giving up on the drug entirely. 

Best of luck xx

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up