Feel like the walls are closing in on me...

Posted , 4 users are following.

It's so nice to find this forum & to read that I'm not the only person going through this nightmare. It's been a rough couple of years for me, I got diagnosed with diverticular disease about eight months ago after suffering years of upset tummys etc. which has been very stressful to say the least & to add to that the doctor confirmed last year that I'm in the Perimenopause & I think that I have been for a few years now. But I've been really struggling over the past few months, all the usual symptoms, BAD mood swings, flushes, really heavy periods, migraines, feeling so sick & continual upset stomach, I feel a complete mess!! & to top it all I'm in a fairly new relationship, so I'm also feeling so guilty about always being ill & never being able to do anything, which is adding to the stress, although he is being very patient & very understanding...  I finally managed to persuade the doctor to give the the birth control pill to see if that will help balance some of these raging hormones out & then hopefully I will start to see an improvement soon? I just wondered if anyone else had tried the combined pill & if it had helped & also how long it takes to start working. I started taking it on Monday & since then I've felt even more nauseas & had a really upset stomach yesterday, I'm guessing this could be some of the side effects? Sorry to sound all doom and gloom but I feel so stressed sad

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How late can you take the pill?  I thought they wanted you off of it when you enter your 40's.  I think one of the reasons I don't have symptoms is because I take vitamins which are to help with hormonal balance.  But I also had a friend in her 40's who was having bad hot flashes.  She found a vitamin for hormonal balance and she said it helped tremendously.

• Posted

Thanks Beth, I was told I could only take it until I'm 50, I'm not overweight & don't smoke so she didn't have many reasons to say no.
  • Posted

I think you also have to do your research and press the doctor because I realize now I really got the shaft in th dr's office with a nurse practitioner. She ripped me up one side and down the other that menopause is a natural normal thing get over it!!!  And I had only asked about missing a few periods in an appt. for a bladder infection.  I needed to clear up a bladder infection before  I traveled abroad. I had an appt. what was wrong about asking???  I should have reported her!

• Posted

Sherrie, you should feel okay after a few days give it till next week if you still feel sick have her/him change it. The first low dose pill I took didn't make me feel better after a week so she changed it. Of course, my doctor would call me to see how I was doing because my symptoms were pretty severe. But when I told her I felt worse or no affect she immediately changed it but said to wait 2 weeks before starting the new one so they don't overlap. In the meantime try flax seed oil, there's a pill Oct called Hot Flash, seems to work but not fast enough, or make Flax seed juice or tea. It needs to be a little syrupy but it truly works.
    • Posted

Thank you Patra, the sickness seems to have calmed down a bit now but my tummy is still up & down, but that's nothing unusual for me unfortunately. Also my mood is not as low today as my period finished at the weekend, so a bit of a weight has been lifted!  I'm going to stick with it for at least a month & see how i feel. Re the Flax seed, I sit opposite a Polish lady at work & she swears by it. I feel like I've tried so many different things & I'm never sure if I give them long enough to work? Unfortunately I see a different doctor every time i go to the surgery, so I can't build up any sort of relationship with any of them which isn't helping...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.