Feeling a little off. Here is my story. Hopefully you can help.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been on Zoloft then Citalopram for about 8 years. 20mg of Citalopram for about 6 of those. About a month ago I decided I felt great and had no need for them anymore. I decided to stop taking them all together cold turkey. I later learned this was not the correct way to do it. Anyways I felt great for the first few weeks with no issues. I then hit rock bottom. I am now concerned this is not anxiety or depression but something else. I have this feeling that I am not in my body and just very out of it. As I am writing this I feel like I am here but not. My brain feels like it is not connected and I am spaced out. I dont feel anxious at all but just that my brain is not working. I am worried it might be cancer or a brain tumor. I decided to go back on the Cit about a week ago and have some good hours and some bad but cant stand this brain fog any longer. Any help or previous experience would be greatly appreciated. Will the Cit kick in sooner then later since I have used it before. Will I be ok? 

1 like, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS I WAS SICK FOR OVER A MONTH. THE DOCTOR COULDN'T FIGURE IT OUT UNTIL I MADE A DAY TO DAY LOG FOR 2 WEEKS AS TO HW I FELT. WHEN HE SAW IT HE LOOKED UP THE MEDICINES AND PULLED ME OFF OF CITOPRAM..
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey, I agree with bobble, I came off the drug due to how sick and zonked out I was...... I could not function, then could not sleep just sweated and grinned my teeth. Not condoning the drug, does wonders for some, but was the devil drug for me :-( good luck, you know your body and how you feel, go with what you feel is right. Xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is absolutely normal feeling like this.  Coming off this medicine should be done very slowly.  Starting this medicine definitely makes you feel very weird with many side effects, including anxiety.  After over 10 years on this I stopped last year and felt great still, but family illness made me decide to restart the medicine so I can get through this difficult time - and oh my, I'd forgotten about the side effects!

Anyway, I've now been on them 2 months and back up on top again.  I think it was about the same time it took the last time for them work.

They'll kick in soon I expect ...... just keep persevering :-) xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yadeed you will be ok. I think you came off the meds in the wrong way but this won't do any long term damage...just withdrawal which in itself can at times be quite daunting. I think you just hit the floor with a bang. You are feeling a little disassociated  which is Very common with depression and anxiety. 

I can promise you that 3 week ago,I didn't have a clue where my head was at and it was very scary. 5 weeks on my new mess and things are beginning to feel a little better. I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to where I should be but that dizzy,confused,not here feeling is subsiding. I'm hoping this is the start of things getting better.

Please don't worry. Just give your medication time to work and remember that it's always worse before it gets better xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Citalopram will take at least two weeks to a month to work.

You do appear to have stopped too abruptly but that will not have done you any permanent harm.

You WILL get there, you WILL be OK, the medcation worked before and WILL again.

Big hugs

Taz xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you all for your kind works and support. Today was my first week back at work after hitting rock bottom and feeling better. It always helps to get out and take your mind off of things. I believe the meds are starting to do the job and I suggest to anyone not to go off these things cold turkey. I have a follow up with a doctor on Tuesday to discuss so hopefully all will be good by then.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just remember that you don't have to go through this alone. Ant thoughts,sensations,feelings that you find bothersome,don't sit worrying over then...Come and chat. It's guaranteed that somebody will of gone through something similar and can erasure and comfort you.

I wish you we'll with your recovery Yadeed xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

SORRY IF I UPSET ANYONE WITH WHAT I SAID. I JUST DON'T WANT ANYONE ELSE TO HAVE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I HAVE.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I WII NOT BE RESPONDING ANYMORE AS IT WAS OBVIOUS TODAY THAT PEOPLE DON'T BELEIVE WHAT I HAVE GONE THROUGH AND FEEL I AM JUST TRYING TO SCARE THEM.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I also had a bad experience on citalopram this time round. Sent me off my rocker for the 8 weeks I was on it. However years ago I used it and it pulled me out of a big hole.

i don't think anybody is disregarding what you are saying bobbee. I just think other people are having a opinion also. Sometimes we don't all agree but that's life xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Bobee16251 I for one most certainly do not disbelieve you, the sickness and tiredness I suffered were so severe my Dr took me of Citalopram. I responded as I did as it evidentially does work for yaheed. Seems by your reaction I was wrong not to say this and apologise. I too will no longer respond as the last thing I want to do is make people feel disbelieved.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Bobbee. I appreciate your response. I understand people react to meds differenty. Some good some bad. I can say I was in a very deep dark spot that was scary and citalopram pulled me out of that after a week. I feel great and can finally do things again that I enjoyed before. Your comments might not always help that exact person but someone might see it and have the same feelings you did. 
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up