Feeling anxious

Posted , 2 users are following.

Over the past few months i have been very anxious,Getting waves and waves of anxious feelings,I cant seem to take my mind away from it and it makes me really sad..Having CBT at the moment,Only had a three sessions,It is difficult at times to think of challenging thoughts when anxious,But trying to do just that...Wondering if i should go back to the doctors for medication,He gave me diazepam if i felt really bad,Only took three in three weeks as i am not sure they are for the long term..Anyone else got any advice on the meds option?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, been anxious for years, my anxiety is about health issues. On C B T, too. Don't like it that much, but better than nothing. I don't take any anti depressants, stopped due to the side effects. Diazepam is a godsend medication, I take 2 mg for sleep almost every night. If I get overly stressed during the day and can't handle it with meditation or breathing exercise, I take 1 mg. have been doing that for 15 years now. As you an see it is a very low dose and I seldom take more, so my max dose is 3 mg per day, most days nothing more than the sleep dose. It seems to be ok for my doctor. I don't think I'm abusing it. It helps me, just the thought of that I CAN take one mg is soothing itself.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi..Thanks for your reply..Yes i am too worried about anti depressants side effects,Making me think not to take any at all..My dose of diazepam is 2mg,So a low dose like yours..I see you have been taking it a while,I have read alot about how people use it in times of need..My doctor seems to think that i should not take anymore than the 24 pack that he gave me with it being addictive..But surely if such a low dose and to be taken in times of need,should be ok..When i took it,It cetainly chilled me out for sure 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You can try to take just 1 mg and see how that works...😊. Then they will last longer and your doc understands that your not turning to an addict. And that is really being over protective of the doctors, but they have their things, some are more liberate than others.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I know how you feel. Anxiety is such a new thing for me. I take meds for bipolar and thankfully, it has worked for a couple of years. I lost a friend and my anxiety started. After this, I began having bad anxiety. It's unpredictable and certainly thoughts of the past trigger it. I try to keep my mind busy. I don't even listen to music that much as that triggers my anxiety. When I do, I only limited to times when I go to school because looking forward to school somehow calms me. It has made me very sad and I've lost interest in a lot of things. I'm hoping that once I heal from losing a friend, I won't be anxious at all but who knows when that will be! I see the doctor on Tuesday and hopefully he will help me or at the very least get medication to control it but I wish I could handle it without it. Sorry I'm of no help except to tell you that you are not alone. Keep your head up and if you need to, try meds again. There is nothing wrong with that. Thanks for posting...It helps to know I'm not alone.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think it does help to know youre not alone...Its very sad to hear people having problems with anxiety..I do hope for you that things get a little calmer in time and i wish you all the best with that
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Mindful breathing is a winderful tool to learn and have. Gives you a tiny break and allows the body to breathe. Cbt for dummies on anxiety has taught me a lot and i know the patterns and symptoms. Anxiety acts as a bully so be aware it can play a lot of tricks. A lot of people with healthy anxiety do have health issues but seems to be heightned sense of doom involved. Its horrible to live like this. I had too many issues with most of the meds. Always do have the benzos available though. Sometimes im okay and sometimes im not. If im dealing with a health issues, as i am now with surgery warranted it gets to be a challenge. I need predicatable and im not sure but i think low pain tolerance. If you can take meds and tolerate them its worth a ry. I would have if i could.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes I've been trying to do breathing techniques which helps a lot...I'm not sure I want to go on the meds root,I do have diazepam on hand if I need it..It is tough at times and agree anxiety plays a lot of tricks with the mind..All the best to you and thanks for writing
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up