Feeling anxious again

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, i have been taking citalopram since last year september and upped the dose to 20mg for the last 2 months. The last week i have been feeling slightly more anxious than usual and getting slight panic attacks which i thought went since taking 20mg. Could this be a blip? I do drink coffee everyday could it be to do with that? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I definitely think is your dosage increase ... coffee can cause heart palpitations...but only if you drink it all day or if it's extra strong...

• Posted

Hello, its likely to be your increased dosage. It seems whenever an anti depressant dose is introduced or increased, anxiety is increased, until minds chemicals become balanced. I'm very sensitive to caffeine and don't touch it. One small diet coke a d

ay, and a week later I'm all over the place. Fuel for anxiety in my case.

• Posted

Even after taking citalopram 20mg for 2 months? I wasnt feeling anxious before just the last week for some reason
    • Posted

Yes, upping your dose usually brings on the side effects again. Its unlikely that your lower dose, was high enough, therefore you were still depressed to a lesser degree than when you originally started. If you are depressed to any degree, starting or upping your dose, will bring you out of It, but you go through the side effects first, until your brain chemicals are balanced. If you feel slightly better than before you started cit, then cit will get you where you need to be, once your dose is correct. Stick with higher dose. Side effects should disappear in another 4 weeks.
    • Posted

Does it perhaps mean i need tp imcrease my dose? I will see how it goes, i have it a feeling it's because im drinking coffee.

• Posted

Hi. Firstly caffeine is not good for stressandanxiety. If you can start cutting down that would be good. It may just be a blip. I would see how you go over the next few days. It could also be that you need to increase your dose. Give your Dr a call and ask for some advice.
    • Posted

Yes its just difficult i feel i need a coffee to get be going. Yes will see how i go if it doesn't go i will call my doctor

• Posted

Marie, if you have just upped your dose, you are very likely to get side effects, because you are in a state of depression, and to get back to normal, you have to go through them. If you have just upped your dose, I don't think you need to up again. Wait 5 to 6 weeks, to see if you improve, while seeing your doctor when you need to. You have to ride the side effects out. Caffeine is a stimulant, and if you are depressed or anxious, it's likely to increase your anxiety. Try to limit your caffeine intake to just the One coffee. Even better, replace with decaff. Ideally no cola or any fizzy drink with caffeine. Try to accept that you are likely to experience the side effects for the next 4 to 5 weeks. I'm 8 weeks in on cit in total, 30mg first 3 weeks, 40 mg last 5 weeks, and side effects started to subside a week or so ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.