Feeling Anxious and Depressed

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been feeling low for awhile and decided to see the doctor. She upped my Citalopram from 20mg to 40mg. It's been about three weeks now and my mood has not lifted. If anything I feel anxious and worried especially about money and lack of it. I get panicky at night so was not sleeping but now have sleeping pills to help. I feel like I am letting every one down especially as I have other help problems and waiting to find out if I have rheumatoid arthritis. I need to work and mentally and physically unable to but need to get better quick. Everyone is looking forward to Christmas and I am dreading it! I have loss urge to eat as well. Any advice appreciated.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello penny sorry to hear all your troubles. I personnaly think that 20 to 40 is a massive jump !!

Have you considered seeking advice from Councillor. Or in my case hypnosis. It really helped me .made me realise most things didn't matter and showed me away to dismiss things which was out if our control. And I learned how to deal with things that was important at that given time .also showed me away to relax and that is very important.

• Posted

Hi Gawen, thanks for your reply. I am on the waiting list for CBT and did hypnosis a few years ago but cant afford it at the moment. Thanks for listening.
    • Posted

Penny we all git here some how,now we have to find a way back to a time when we were happy or to a place we want to be . meds not going to to everything for us .it could take time for you to heal. But you must think of it like your coffee table is you and all the objects on it is all your shit.so clear it all off and only put back on that table what you can deal with.and when that is done put something else in it ..you must clear the clutter.
    • Posted

Thanks Gawen, I like that analogy it makes sense. Just one day at a time focusing on the importance things and limit or exclude things that bring you down. Not everything is easy to solve but with a clear head it will help. I know medication is not the only thing to help me but need a kick start to set me on my way. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi penny

sorry to hear about your situation. Have you been on citalopram three weeks in total or were you on 20mg for a period of time? If so how long on the 20?

Citalopram takes a good few weeks before feeling any benefits.

It works wonders for many people, unfortunately it didn't for me. After six months I recently swapped cit for another antidepressant and believe it or not felt so much better after one tablet. If after three months total you feel no better, that's the time to consider changing. When my dose age of citalopram increased to 40 I did feel better after a couple of weeks but my appetite didn't return and my depression eased but was still very much there.

Please don't be put off citalopram as it has helped many people. What I have learnt is it is not always going to be the first AD that works for you. I really hope this one works for you.

Keep posting your progress

sending positivity and a hug your way xxx

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

Thank you for your reply. I had been on 20mg Citalopram for about five years and then went down to 10mg for a year,now upped to 40mg. My doctor did mention that I may need to change antidepressant if no change in a month. I am glad the change helped you. I will give the Citalopram a bit more time to see if I feel better. Just hate not being myself and feel like a fraud to everyone apart from a couple or close friends, my boyfriend and family have no idea how I feel.

• Posted

Hi penny

sorry to hear about your situation. Have you been on citalopram three weeks in total or were you on 20mg for a period of time? If so how long on the 20?

Citalopram takes a good few weeks before feeling any benefits.

It works wonders for many people, unfortunately it didn't for me. After six months I recently swapped cit for another antidepressant and believe it or not felt so much better after one tablet. If after three months total you feel no better, that's the time to consider changing. When my dose age of citalopram increased to 40 I did feel better after a couple of weeks but my appetite didn't return and my depression eased but was still very much there.

Please don't be put off citalopram as it has helped many people. What I have learnt is it is not always going to be the first AD that works for you. I really hope this one works for you.

Keep posting your progress

sending positivity and a hug your way xxx

• Posted

Hi Penny, you simply need to take it steady. I'm also on 40mg and things have been a bit wobbly for me also. I'm going through a low patch at the moment so know how you feel. I am also worried about money and Xmasis not a good time for me. I lost my wife last year. You certainly are NOT leting anybody down. You say you need to work, but pushing yourself to do something you aren't well enough to do, will only make you worse. Go easy on yourself, take your time and I promise things will get better. I have osteoarthritis, so again I sort of understand how you feel. Try andstay positive. Take things an hour at a time. And always remember you're not alone. Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing. I'm alwayshappy to talk. Best regards, Geoff.
    • Posted

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your reply, sorry for your loss must be hard. I loss my mum when I was 27 now 41 so kind off understand. It is hard waiting for some miracle drug to do its magic and wave everything ok. Unfortunately this is life and we have to face things and deal with crazy thoughts negativity and lack of motivation along with guilt ect hopefully there is normality and happiness in the end.

• Posted

I am on 40 mg as well it has worked miracles for me, l use to worry about money a lot, now l do not even if l do not have any, l am now ever so happy than before, it takes time u will be fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.