Feeling appalling at 13 weeks 😬

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been taking 10mg citalopram for 13 weeks, the first 6 ish weeks were awful, then started to improve. But I now feel like I'm going backwards, I've had 3 diazapam this week having not had to take them for over a month. Today I've woken up with a massive anxiety dread feeling that won't shift, I'm so gutted that I feel like this. Has anyone got any experience of this and if so what did you do about it? Thanks so much everyone xxx

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Marf,

You are a few weeks ahead of me and I'm likely to be increasing from 10 to 15mg next week, I've been on 10mg for 8 weeks Tues and so I think I've given that dose a long enough stint.

Whilst I'm much better now (I'm functioning and not lying in bed crying!) I'm not quite there if that makes sense, it could come in time at my current dose but I'm happy and my GP is happy I try move up to 15mg now.

I know the side effects fear is probably holding you back but I really think maybe you should try a small increase, worse case scenario you feel worse and then reduce back down to 10mg, but if you're feeling as bad as your saying you really haven't got anything to lose!

• Posted

thats is so true David, I'm going to go and see the doc this week and see what he reckons xxx thanks for your kind reply xxx
    • Posted

Hi Marf

I started on 20mgs and by week 13 was doing ok, but like you was still experiencing horrible, scary anxiety and intrusive thoughts. I went to my Dr who recommended going up to 40mg, but I instead tried 30mg first. It certainly made a huge difference and combined with Cbt, yoga and lots of exercise I was beginning to feel so much better, having many more good days, a return in appetite and the ability to actually sleep more than 3 hours.

I did however eventually go up to 40mgs as I suffer horrendous pmt, which was sending me in to an awful state of anxiety. I got in to this 2 great weeks, 2 crap weeks mode.

Seven months after starting citalopram I'm beginning to feel better than I have in such a long time. Pmt time I still sometimes need an ativan, but hopefully that will become less.

It's really hard work this recovery process, but this forum is awesome for reassurance and guidance.

I hope you are having a better day than you have been.

Take care of yourself.Louise.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply xx I too have bad pmt but I'm menopausal so have no idea when a period is coming!! I saw a gynae chap last week who had given me a progesterone pill to take all the time to stop me having periods, I'm not really sure how it works so im going to see my gp this pm to discuss it plus talk about upping my dose, Although I think doing both at the same might not be helpful xxx I'll see what he says xxx
    • Posted

Quick update, I'm going to take the hormone tablet and continue my normal dose of Citalopram for the next month to make sure there's no side effects then maybe go up a notch after that if Im not improved xxx
    • Posted

Hopefully things start to improve for you again soon. Keep in touch and take time for yourself.
    • Posted

I did 20mg of Cut for just over 7 weeks with no good results, I felt sick, n anxiety, agoraphobia got way worse, suicidal that's, weight gain/bloat, nothing got better, so I went with my gut n told my psychologist, n he ran right over to my gp n asked her to give me something else, even at 7 weeks, you should be feeling better. As soon as I stopped I felt so much relief, so much better. Now waiting to start Viibryd. I've tried lexapro, Prozac, Citalo'crap'(worst ever), Zoloft(best so far) n wellbutrin (which I like as an add on) but not main AD. Fingers crossed for my next ADventure. Insurance is giving me the run around with covering Viibryd, so I'm waiting 'somewhat'patiently.Still better on nothing than on Citalopram. Go with ur gut, not with what everyone might tell you. U know what u truly feel, n 9 times outta 10, your guts right! God bless!
    • Posted

Cit not Cut...suicidal thoughts, not suicidal that's. Sorry for typos, not awake yet, neither is my phone I guess, lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.