Feeling close to partner when depressed

Posted , 3 users are following.

How do you stay close and connected to a partner when you are depressed? I find myself feeling very disconnected. I am on anti-depressants but they aren't working just yet. I feel so guilty for not feeling the warm butterflies I used to feel. It went away in the blink of an eye. How do I get it back?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not taken antidepressants, so I am not sure how soon they should be working, but if I were you, I'd try to have patience and wait for them to work. Until that happens, just try to explain to your partner what is going on. You don't need to feel any guilt, as it is not your fault. Also, I'm not sure how long you have been with your partner, but I know that at the beginning of a relationship, those warm butterflies are very prevalent and usually get a little less as time goes on, which isn't a bad thing. It just shows the comfort that you feel around the person. It might not just be you, but of course you know yourself and your relationship better than I do. I hope I have provided some help..
  • Posted

Hi, I would read the pro's and con's of your anti depressants in the leaflet which comes in the packet. They do have side effects most of which will wear off in time. How long have you been taking them? Depression itself can cause the feelings you mention too. Your partner needs to be told how you feel and about your meds. Best to talk and discuss things as you can come closer in other ways as your relationship matures. The 'butterflies' are usually the early stages of a relationship I've always found! A loving partnership should survive if you really love each other. Best wishes, Ellie.
  • Posted

hi cosmic kitty whilst everyone is different having a understanding partner is important if you want to get as you called that warm feeling back ! have you tried discussing this with your partner they may be more supportive than you think may be getting info for them to read through so give them a true insight as to what your going through ! regards the medication certain ones do take a while to start working just keep a eye on how they are affecting you  if they dont seem to be working after about 6 - 8 weeks then go back to your doctor and see if the meds need changing ! good luck david x
  • Posted

I actually should have clarified that my partner does know everything. I see a therapist and I talk to her as well about it. I started having feelings of extreme emptiness when my partner went away for 10 days and then when she returned I felt very down and detached. I just want to get back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.