Feeling confused

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All,I have copd and was managing really well then 4 nights ago I experienced total tightening of chest like never before.I felt like a boa constrictor had hold of me and full on shortness of breath.I haven't had SOB like that for 3 years and I have never had  total chest constriction.I went to hospital emergency and they thought it was my heart but after tests they told me my heart is really good (which is great).I then had a chest xray which showed no lung infection.(Also no cancer which is double great!)

The doctors were mystified as to what my problem actually was,as they said copd exacerbation is usually accompianed by infection.After giving me enormous quantities of Ventolin it calmed down and they let me go home.

I am feeling a bit better but still very fragile.

I'm still using lots of Ventolin but it's acting quicker now and I don't feel as slow.

Has anyone else experienced this?There must have been a trigger but I can't work out what it could have been.

Being an unknown quantity this episode is not very comforting and of course I"m terrified it's going to happen again out of the blue so to speak.

any comments/ideas are greatly appreciated.

Eleanor.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That happened to me in January, right after I pedaled about 3 times on my stationary bike for what turns out to have been the last time. There is a difference as by then I had bronchiectasis in addition to COPD -chronic beonchitis, and was in the midst of 9 or so rounds of ABs.

I just got off the bike. Was quite sure mine wasn't a heart attack. Pulmo wasn't surprised & made me promise repeatedly not to get on the bike again.

Not a clue, really.

• Posted

Hallo  Elenor 

Yes I had the same as you got I am just back from the dr. 

And they could not find anything 

Last night  when I was in bed  it felt like beeing suffegaten it was horrible 

Got an other inhaler   in the mean time 

I wish you all the best 

Regards Nelly

• Posted

Hi Eleanor

I feel prompted to answering because it reminds me of a similar episode my husband (who was diagnosed with COPD in 2009) experienced five years ago. After numerous tests and opinions, they decided to keep him in for observation. He was put onantibiotics although he had no sign of infection. They thought it might be an angina attack, which he'd never had before. He was booked for an angiogram and it resulted that his intermediary artery was blocked. So he was prescribed patches and GT tablets and statins although cholesterol wasn't particularly high as well as sartans (for blood pressure) to protect him. About 3 years ago he had the terrifying tightness again at a relative's party. I quickly gave him some boiled water (as he'd been munching on pastries in case it was a bad case of indigestion) and GT tablets and thankfully it cleared up slowly. I was toldbythe pulmonologist 5 years ago that the angina medication should do the job. Never was referred to surgery for some particular reason. More than likely he wasn't fit enough for it. He never goes anywhere without his GT spray and his ventolin in his pocket. Just thought I would mention his episode. Although no 2 cases are the same.

• Posted

Ihad pneumonia a few weeks ago and during this time i had an experience like this i told the doctor it was as though something was wrapped round my neck it was an awful feeling and frightening i have been cleared now of all things like COPD Astma but am still having breathing problems thankfully not the boa feeling just breathless etc x
    • Posted

Thanks Helen and everyone.

It's improving gradually during the day now.The nights are still hard going breathing but no more tightness.

I'm feeling a bit stronger overall.

Today I'm having a massage wih someone who has a great reputation with muscle spasm etc to see whether that might have been a cause.

All my muscles are really sore.

Good wishes to all. xx

• Posted

I've never experienced a boa constriction, just tightness of chest, its sounds like muscle spasm cramp to be, but  I have never experienced muscle spasm or cramp in the chest muscles.

I would wonder what you were doing prior to the experience, like aitarg for instance he had peddled on his stationery bike prior to his experience.

But if you don't know what triggered nor the medics, unlikely we would know either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.