Feeling continuously sick with a kidney stone, is this normal?

Posted , 24 users are following.

I was told on September 1st of this year I have a kidney stone. (Started at 6.4mm and went up to 7mm) since being diagnosed, I've suffered regularly with cramping sensations in my lower abdomen and have been feeling sick almost daily, to the point where I easily throw up and usually can't eat much. I've lost around 2st in the last 3 months because of it. I had lithotripsy yesterday to break it down and when I woke up this morning, I was constantly feeling sick from the time my eyes opened until I was loaded up with morphine, the pain was absurd as well. I couldn't sit but when I stood up, I wanted to throw up, which happened a lot today on an empty stomach. I ended up in emergency and was sent home a few hours later with oxycodene. The first two times I went to emerg after being diagnosed was owing to a painful cramping sensation in my lower abdomen and ongoing sickness. I was told twice 'it could be a bladder infection' and was given anti biotics both times. Turns out I didn't have an infection but they never look any further and just blame my symptoms on the stone. Both times my stone was in the exact same place (very top in my kidney), my stone was diagnosed as non obstructive. Since September I've been passing blood almost daily, am mostly sick and experience cramping feelings weekly if not daily. I've been to the doctors and emerg so many times and they just said it was the stone without any investigation.. Has anyone else experienced any of this? If my symptoms persist after the stone fragments have passed, they said they will investigate further. Just seems like a long time to be feeling like this and not to get a definite answer.. 

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi catherine99873,

I feel for your pain. I've been having nausea bouts for 2 years until I've ended up in A&E. I've even vomited at the A&E door and they didn't care ... it sat there for a while.

For me it helped to lay on my belly and/or to have a hot tea (I drink herbal flavoured tea (mainly mint) with lemon, but as hot as I can sip). Hot cocoa worked too sometimes.

The CT scan did not pick up the stone as it already lodged in the bladder. 6 weeks later I've pee it out, took it to my GP for analisys and they lost it ... never got to the lab.

I am still sick when eating dinner, anything from the fridge and when drinking cold ... I know another stone is in it's way.

I've been recommended by a the surgeon in A&E: not to sit on my a*s, not to exceed 2 cups of coffee ot tea a day, and to drink lots of water.

I hope it helps

• Edited

Has no one told you that tea and chocolate are two of tge biggest contributors to stones. Makes your urin very acidic. Your comfort drinks are just making your problem worse.
    • Edited

No they don't

I have a condition that I pass 10-15 stones a month.

You might read that food causes stones but does not drinks do I agree not tea but fizzy drinks do

Drink heaps of water with lemon squeezed in it.

• Posted

What condition is this? I get them 1-2 times a month no matter what I eat or how much water I drink. Starting to p**s me off.
    • Posted

I get them also quiet a bit but have no insurance to find out what's causing them... I'm thinking calcium deposits maybe... I once had 12 stones in one year.. sad I hope you feel better 

• Posted

I have MSK 

My kidneys were formed different when I was born 

They both don’t drain as wel and hold onto calcium and little stones/calcium salt form in the medullas part of the kidney 

These drop into kidney which they grow and grow or pass on there own. 

I’m in a lot of pain as I always have stones in bith kidneys 

There is a lot of conditions out there with stones 

You need to get 24 hr urine test to see what’s happening 

• Edited

I understand you perfectly, I have been battling with Kidney stones for 7 years, had 4 surgeries, constantly in pain.

I have gone to several Dr, so many times to ER to the point they don't wan't to do more CTscan or Xrays because they are worried for my health my stone was diagnosed as non obstructive as well.,. Last time I went I had two stones trying to come down at same time but they are not even in the entrance. I keep feeling pain.

I have lost two jobs and the only response i received is you have to live with it.

everytime i go to ER they found blood in my urine, they don't see stones but two or three days later i pass a stone.

I am living with daily pain and there is somedays is cronic pain.I am frustrated to the point My primary Dr send me to a Psycology thinking I was making it up, and I am better then the DR. 

I don't know what else to do anymore they don't find an answer for me. I can;t believe with all the technology there is They haven't been able to help me at all!

I don't want another surgery, because the more they go inside the more they can damage my kidney! Good luck!

• Edited

There isn't much doctors can do for you if YOU dont change your own diet. Some people can get stones way more than others, but it is always manageable. There isnt some magic treatmeant for them. You can only prevent them by changing your own dietary habits.

• Edited

I have been dealing with multiple stones in my kidneys for a couple of years now and the sick feelings you speak of. I felt like new when they went in and cleaned them out it was great until I developed more stones. The doctors will tell you that they shouldn't cause any problems unless they are out of the kidney or obstructing but it's a lie. I am a witness to it. There is a condition called MSK that is not recognized by some physicans but some do. I have all of the symptoms of this disease. Stones embedded in our kidneys hurt and cause problems! Drink drink drink drink plenty of water obsessively, make you a pitcher of water with fresh lemons and lime and drink it obessively as well. I am getting a little relief now with the flooding of water. Boil water and add real fresh ginger to it to help with the nausea too. There is a kidney stone medicine in Earth Fare (natural grocery store here in America) that I am trying. I will let you know if it helps. Look into the MSK (I think its called Medullary Sponge Kidney)...God Bless You and Praying for you health and comfort!
    • Posted

Take out the lemon and lime. Making your urin more acidic help kidney stones growth. Potassium citrate is a good supplement to take to help prevent stones.
    • Posted

It is medullary sponge kidney

Yes it hurts when they just sit in your kidney and the reason why is most of them form in the flesh part of our kidneys

No doctor can reach those stones in the flesh part and they are the ones that hurt

The others we get like everyone else but problem is ours grow larger than the rest and block and that means blockage and surgery and stents

Not a nice illness

Diet does nothing it's drink water water and more water and even then we still get stones and get blocked. It is painful

I have in both kidneys and pain is severe at times.

It's worth looking up as it exist and only certain urologist understand t and treat it

• Posted

Hi...I too suffered with chronic kidney stones for years.  I had multiple lithotripsies ...so I set out on a course to find out the underlying problem and finally did.  I had a parathyroid tumor-benign as they almost always are...but 1 of the definitive signs of hyperparathyroidism as its called is recurrent kidney stones.  This is not something that most physicians even know about let alone look for.  The way I found out was that I looked at my lab results from routine bloodwork and noticed that my calcium was out of the normal range...just a tad.  That was the defining moment.  There are also other signs and symptoms.  I urge you to visit the website parathyroid com and explore this further.  It's worth a shot and for me it was the key to a wonderful life altering experience.

• Posted

Actually lemon and lime although are acidic they actual make your urine more alkaline. Google it. 
    • Posted

Hi,

I am going thru a similar issue right now and I was curious what kind of doctor you sought out for help with hyperparathyroidism. I have been diagnosed with this condition already and also have bilateral renal stones. These are just two of many issues I have but because I have felt so sick and overwhelmingly tired lately; I went back and checked my labs and noticed my calcium level has been elevated. So, I am just stuck who to bring this problem to because my endocrinologist, feels that my tsh is normal level. Thanks for any help you can offer, Carol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.