Feeling deflated

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am 3 weeks today PKR and just feel like I am so behind everyone else.I am still using both crutches and can't bend the knee much in fact it never is straight when standing. I have to do the physio myself which is a struggle and I'm worrying that it's all been a waste of time....also what to people rub into their scars to help with healing...Thanks everyone I feel a bit moany today

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sarcee

I had days like that too. Like most other things in life its fatal to compare yourself with others, just dont do it!

We all heal at different rates and go great guns for a few days or weeks then hit a flat spot. All usual and natural.

it will probably take another month or so (at least) but you WILL slowly see improvement.

Chin Up!

Timo

• Posted

You are too new to be blue. Things change so much weekly you can't keep up with it. Everyone is as different in the healing process as are their fingerprints. There are text book cases and there is reality. Don't pit your development against others as it will upset you mentally and might even slow down your healing process. Stay steady, do all the proper pain meds, excercise, ice, rest, elevation, hydration and nutrition. Do it all with patience. Give yourself 13 weeks before you even start comparing progress. Stay well, work diligently and you'll be fine. Stay on this site to rec encouragement and don't let anyone bully you into thinking you are behind the curve.
    • Posted

Hi OFG. How are you?:I'm getting there at sensible pace. Just over 7 weeks now Peter and I are virtually neck and neck. Exercises and hydrotherapy are getting me there . Floating pains keep cropping up but it's the same for us all. Been able to work part time and thank goodness drive. Onwards and upwards.

Regards

Robert

• Posted

Sometimes I am completely amazed at the body and the process. Last Friday I had a brutal day at therapy and really hurt bad. Saturday I worked put and even though the soreness and discomfort were there I did the long routine of exercises. Woke up Sunday morning and thought I'd had a leg replacement. 95 % of the major leg pain was done. Knee still hurt to a degree and is weak but works good. Monday was the same kind of day. Its in the middle of next ght here and th IP because of other problems but leg/knee feels pretty darn good
  • Posted

Hi. Insist on physio referral. Exercises are widely available on the Web and presumably you were given them at hospital? Don't despair about crutches. I used them for 5 weeks. Now I'm ok without them at 7 weeks pkr. Keep up your regular painkillers and ice. This site will tell you that we all heal at different rates . If your knee is very swollen it will delay bend. Be patient and don't despair

.Keep in touch with this site. It will help you

Regards

Robert

• Posted

Hi Sarcee, 3 weeks in TKR land is nothing, most people have not much improvement until at least 4 weeks, your leg is still wondering what just happened and it is best if you don't tell it! See your doctor get some good strong pain relief and work yourself gradually into an exercise routine followed by elevation and Ice and don't overdo it, this is no race. I think about 12 weeks is a milestone for walking, pain and stairs it took that long for me achieve some sort of satisfaction for my efforts so don't fret you will get through this and there are lots of people on here to help, Stay strong.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Thanks everyone I read stuff about people off of crutches by 4 weeks and doing all kinds of stuff and I just felt like I am nowhere near that! I have got good pain relief and a sheet of exercises but I am going to ask doc for PT referal to help in the process of recovery...I guess it's just be patient I did sort of kid myself it was just a little op having never had an operation in my life before and it's been a bit of a shock (stupidly)for a 52 year old that's always on the go but I am going to go with the flow and the support of this group x
    • Posted

Hello sarcee

I was told by my physio last week to stop comparing myself with others that were 'driving at 2 weeks etc' . I was in tears because at 9 weeks I was still needing 1 crutch to walk, bend only 85 etc. I have had ops on this leg since age 9 so it was always going to take a long time to recover but I am making steady progress. This is a tough operation and requires patience to recover and we all have different histories. Keep at it you are not alone. X

• Posted

Bio oil from Boots is good for rubbing in your scar,once it has healed..good luck

• Posted

Don't worry. I used two crutches up to 5 weeks, & then one ctrutch until week 10 - we all heal at different paces. I'm now at 15 weeks (today!) & yesterday walked a mile with my very strong dog, came home & elevated the leg & used ice again, as it protested by swelling up!

Use a cream all over the entire knee (I used the facecream from Aldi, at £1.49 - got through 6 tubes, but my physio says it's the softest knee she's seen!!) & also, when all your staples/stitches marks have gone, then use bio-oil at least twice a day. Massaging the scar assists the break-up of scar tissue. You will get there, but it is such early days for you!!

• Posted

You are on track....at 3 weeks after partial knee replacement I was still in masses of pain, walking with crutches, unable to do stairs properly etc etc. Like you i thought it would be a doddle, proved massively wrong. I used plain old vaseline to rub into the scar which now looks great at 9 weeks.

If I ever had the other knee done I would not be in such a rush to improve, take it easier with the exercises, calm down a bit, I think.

Where I am we don't get routine physio once discharged but a book of exercises and the opportunity to self refer one day a week if you feel it necessary. I did this twice and it was immensely helpful just for reassurance that i was doing ok. But just follow the exercises in the book and don't overdo it. 

• Posted

hi

it really is early days for you 

I too have had to do most of the physio myself and never really knew if I was doing it right

i bought a little pedal exerciser from Amazon  not expensive either...I can use it while sat down watching telly etc....

pas for rubbing cream into the scar in the early days I was told by GP to use E45 cream ....now as I'm a lot further on I use bio oil on the healed scar 

take care and remember everyone heals at a different pace

Jean 

• Posted

Hi

My daughter is beauty and massage theropist for your scares she recommends using either an oil or cream of vitamin E or wheat germ from Holland & Barrett the oil is better but if you don't like the feel of the oil then use the cream version. I hope this helps.

• Posted

I shall be sending my daughter out to get creams and oils today....feeling much more positive with everyone's input....you are all so helpful x
  • Posted

As everyone else has said, wk 3 is very early in the process and there will still be a lot of stiffness and pain.  I was still using my crutches after I started driving at 6 weeks, and still use a stick outdoors at 21 weeks.  Use Bio oil for the scar, but any general moisturiser will do for general massage.

Patsy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.