feeling detached still does that go away

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor has me on 40 mg of citalopram will this detachment feeling go away..I had it before going on these.  could anyone offer some advice iI am scared

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I had this four weeks ago. Doc increased my dosage from 20 to 30. Hang in there. I'm only seeing some good yesterday and today. Hang in there it does get better. Sit on your sofa in front of a comedy and wrap yourself in a warm  blanket with a cup of tea. It really helps. It does get better.
  • Posted

Hello Dee.

Im also very detached. Been on my medication for almost 8 week...It was increased to 45mg 3 weeks ago and still no joy yet.

Im a little scared to so I know very well how you are feeling right now.

One thing I can say that if other things have improved while in Citalopram then it's only a matter of time until you feel totally as you did. I've heard that people feel more able to cope in the first month or two and then after that is when focus and concentration and energy returns.

It will all fall into place Dee. For both of us. It just takes time. 

People think that they should feel better in weeks but for others(like myself)it can take much longer.

Just keep affirming to yourself that you will be ok,this is just temporary xx

• Posted

The medication does take time to work so take it easy on yourself, it will get better so please don't despair.

Sending big hugs

Taz xxx

• Posted

Thank you all.  I feel like this will never go away sad 
  • Posted

Dee-

I am in the same boat. I went cold turkey off my meds and fell into a deep dark pit. Very very detached and spaced out 24/7. I got back on 20mg for a week and half and now 40mg for one week and still having the feeling. I am moments of happiness where the detachment goes away but it is very very scary feeling. You feel like you will be like this forever but you wont. As I am sitting at my desk here at work I feel like I am in another world staring into space. I know this will pass though. I usually feel worst in the moring and by bed time feel great. Then the cycle starts again. Hang in there as I am going through the same thing.

• Posted

Thank you for your support... I too have that detachmemt 24/7  it is the worse feeling
    • Posted

It is so scary to not know why you are feeling like this. People tell me to just forget about it but as you know our minds just dont work that way. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there and you will do great.
  • Posted

Hi Dee. I was also prescribed 40mg back in may after being on these for about 3 years. My anxiety went through the roof and i didnt realise it was just t he side effects of the increased dose. Went back to my docs this week to check and he assured me these would settle after a couple of weeks and unfortunately increasing the dose can have the same effect as starting them all over again. How long have you been on the 40mg now? I would definitly stick with it. Im trying to as i now feel better knowing you get worse before better...xxx
    • Posted

I have been on the 40 for two  weeks now. 
    • Posted

Nikki how long did it take for you to feel better xx
    • Posted

Well i didnt give it chance you see as i thought it was just the higher dose in general making me worse... Now i know its normal to feel worse when increasing doses i have started taking the 40mg again. But when i increased from 20-30 and 10-20 i didnt really notice any dramatic side effects. Nothing i couldnt handle. So iv taken 2 40mg now and i can feel the anxiety starting to kick in. Im hoping a couple of weeks at the most. Im dreading it. But doc said it can take longer depending on the person. xxx
    • Posted

I know it is frustrating waiting for it to kick in

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.