Feeling disconnected

Posted , 7 users are following.

I often feel disconnected and somewhat emotionless. I started taking cit 2 weeks ago and I am wondering if it will help with this. I want to feel close to people again.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I took cit because I was too emotional. I felt lonely and angry feeling disconnected. With cit. I didn't care so much. After 3 years and retirement, I weaned myself off cit with my doctor's knowledge. I cried for the first time in 3 years...a friend is dying.  To answer your question... and people react differently, I was glad to feel less close to people when I was on cit. What is helping me is learning how to communicate, that will bring me closer I guess. I don't want to be around too many people for long.

• Posted

You may be experiencing social anhedonia, which is an inability to gain stimulation or enjoyment from being around others and an inability to feel connected to anyone.  I have this and it won't go away no matter what I do.  Now they're increasing my venlafaxine to maximum.
  • Posted

I felt the same way before taking cit. I have no interest to talk to anyone, even with my family members. After treatment and the side effect gone, I am back to normal.
  • Posted

Hi cosmic kitty! My situation is slightly different because I went on cit for almost the opposite problem - anxiety was making me overly emotional and I was caring/worrying far too much about things. I did feel disconnected from people and I wanted to be by myself a lot. I was absorbed in my own problems and not much fun to be around!

Ive heard people say that feeling 'disconnected' or 'like a zombie' is also a side effect of anti depressants, but personally I've found it just balances me out to normal. A family pet died a few weeks ago and I had a few really bad days, but I was really glad of this because it showed I still had feelings and I could still cry - when it was appropriate! But I havnt spent weeks thinking about it like I would have done before. All my relationships have significantly improved since I've been on cit. At 2 weeks in you are probably experiencing side effects so things will be a it up and down. Try and push through because it should definitely help in the long run!

• Posted

I felt exactly the same-disconnected for at least 5 weeks. It does lesson tho. Speaking with my counsellor regarding this at the time, she explored those feelings of disconnection as a partial safety mechanism too, in that I didn't feel so emotional and full of dread and anxiety. As thats how I was presenting before taking this med. Hang on in there it will get better!
  • Posted

Hi Cosmickitty, our symptoms can often be different no one will really know what we are feeling except us, stick it out with the citalopram I'm sure that will level thing sout as in my case I often didnt want to talk to my wife or anyone about anything was quite happy saying nothing which I thought was very abnormal for me, now on citalopram I'm normal well as normal as this cat could be anyways smile chin up hang in there "this recovery thing is a long process we have to be patient" smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.