Feeling down...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been feeling depressed for a quite long time (about 2 – 2 and ½ years). There's some days when I could sleep a whole day and there's some days when I can’t get any sleep because I think about my life. I often feel low and don’t have any energy to do any of the basic things such as clean my car. I used to be a different person who loved sport and being with friends, now I'm basically on my own and don’t even want to talk to any of them. I don’t know what to do whether to go to my local surgery or do something different. I would be grateful if someone would try to give me some tips.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You don't say what meds you've tried.  I assume you've seen a psychiatrist--if not, don't delay.  The meds called SSRIs are good, but for me they stopped working after a few years.  If those fail, you might try anafranil, at 100 mgs/day.  It takes about 3-4 months to really kick in.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortuantely I haven't seen a psychiatrist yet becuase I wasn't sure what to do. A friend of mine had depression and she said that meds have a negative impact on our concentration. I'm full time student (also in full time employment) and I really want to be able to focus when I'm reading my books. Do the meds really have impact on our concentration???
  • Posted

Hi Robert, have you tried Counselling as this is confidential and talking to a stranger will be different to talking with family or friends. This forum is good for support too so keep in touch with others on here. 
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply. I'm actually glad that I've found this forum! I don't know why I didn't decide to join it before! I feel a bit ignored by my friends and family. They think that I've made my problem up and they don't really know what I'm talking about, and this doesn't help especially in long term.
  • Posted

Hi Robert!

The best thing you can do for yourself is seeing your GP. I've ignored my depression for nearly 2 years before I finally decided to ask for help as my life was just falling apart. Your GP will discuss the options with you and advise you for the best. I was very reluctant to start on medications at the beginning, there are many false myths surrounding mental health. I tried counselling only at first, it helped me for a while, but after stopping it at the first occasion I was back in my puddle of sadness. I started on citalopram one year ago and done counclling again, and I've responded to the therapy so much better while on medication. I feel miles better and even if ups and downs are still around the corner I can deal with them more easily.

I hope this helped and you will seek some advice and start feeling better soon

• Posted

Hi Silvia! 

Many thanks for your message. 

You must be right when you say that there are many false myths surrounding mental health. There is a large amount of information about depression in the internet and people like me may find difficult to find a right way to deal with depression. I know i probably shouldn't ask but was there a reason why you felt depressed or you just got it from nowhere? How quickly meds start working? 

• Posted

It is difficult to deal with depression, especially because it pushes us to isolate ourselves from other people while it is so important to talk. And many people don't understand this disease, they think you should just snap out of it... if only it were that easy!

I've always had issues with low mood, anxiety and low esteem, but managed well until 3 years ago. I think my real depression started from the break up with my ex boyfriend after a nearly 10 years relationship and the fact I was in a job I hated and a workplace where I got bullied. I'm in a new job now and I have a new partner. Looking back the break up was the best thing ever happened to me because he wasn't for me and I just sticked together because of all the years, but it was unbalancing at the beginning because I found myself alone after so many years, in a foreign country, family miles away, no friends and a horrible job.

How did your low mood started?

• Posted

Hi Robert, 

All anyidepressants get worse initially about for 2 to 4 weeks than they start working properly you will see the difference but you have to consult your GP. GP can advise you better. 

• Posted

Yes you do need to seek professional help to find out our it started! I have also have issues that I am about to start on this will be my second time round, but I hope to get there.

Also make some new choices and hobbies even a career path even pick up and move as long as you are happy with it all.

Alexander.

• Posted

Please make an appt: to see your gp... You sound very depressed and having no motivation is a classic sympton and also not wanting to be around people. My friend I had these symptons plus more and for over 3years everything daily was such a struggle. Please seek help and the sooner the better.. Good luck on being strong for taking one difficult moment to telephone gp s and start your recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.