Feeling down

Posted , 19 users are following.

Don't know what has just come over me. I am nearly 8 weeks

post . Operation on second tkr and have managed to stop all

my pain meds. I got up put some washing out and because it's

a lovely sunny day decided to go shopping and then have a sit

out in the sun this afternoon. However something just came over

me quite unexpectedly and I started to cry. What is happening?

I feel that only the people on here understand exactly what we

have gone through and don't feel that I can talk to my family

because they think that I am doing so well and now should be

back to normal. I wish people on here lived nearby and we could

meet up because some days I feel so lonely. I don't give off this

impression but I think it's the shock of the operation and trying

to get on with things. Anyway must pull myself together and

put on my coping face. Does anyone else feel like this? X

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Felt like it many times just after key hole surgery not a big op like yours. Just have a good old cry and you will feel better even if it happens again it's natural but some people don't understand. People say the anisectic status in your system for up to a year and can make you feel like crying sometimes . Take care and cry if you want. Keep smiling though 😜👍 Bev x
  • Posted

Ohhhh bless you joan the way ur feeling is normal I swear ive never had as many down days as ive had since my TNR which was 5.3.15. its up and down like a roller coaster??? its still early days for you and tom you will feel totally different I bet??? Sometimes I dont no how my partner has put up with me?? ive cried ranted and said some awful swear word's lol. Try treat yourself this aft sit in tgr sun with a nice cuppa and have some chocolate lol. Ive just put some shorts on and thats made me fed up my knee looks sooo bad lol but then I thought ohhhh buggar it no ones gonna see it in my garden anyway lol. You keep your chin up!!!x x
  • Posted

I feel exctly the same,  I carry on regardless but inside I feel crap.  Could burst into tears but hold back,  I presume this is such major surgery our whole body and even minds are re adjusting,  I'm five weeks now and desperate to feel normal.  I'm doing all that has been asked  of me, so I know nothing is wrong just need to hang on in There and keep writing our blogs,  I hope you feel better soon, but you are not alone,  jackie 
  • Posted

Oh yes - I have done it many times, even now but not as often (19 weeks) - it's normal and I have seen it a lot on here - if you scroll or search you will see it. I even went to the GP as its so unlike me and I didnt know about post op periods of depression being quite normal. Accept it as apr tof the healing process, do as much as  youlike and move on - it really is healing. Not been good for the bags under my eyes though - had to resort to cold teaspoon to shrink them one morning I cried so much and was goig to work in the afternoon. Funny too hwo it ocme out of the blue for seemingly no reason. As we all know on here, however, there is a reason - our bodies hae been intefered with and our brain knows it and is upset.

• Posted

Joan I'm exactly the same. I'm 16 weeks post now and need further surgery to straighten. I always knew mine would be more complicated because of the state of my leg (I'm only 36 too). But at no point did I ever expect it to be like this.

My first 'episode' was at about 6 weeks when I thought I would put the dinner on (I'm living with my mum at the moment, too much of a struggle alone so thought I'd help out). I think I chopped half a pepper and then felt like my world was ending because I couldn't stand up any longer (I didn't know I needed further surgery at the time). I was a sobbing wreck when my mum came home.

I then hit my lowest point last week when I was told by my consultants secretary that he had a 5 month waiting list (when he'd told me I need my surgery within 12 weeks).

I don't like to go on at family and friends as I think they must be fed up of hearing it sometimes as much as I am sick of hearing myself. I wonder what I ever spoke about before this bloody thing?

I can't go back to work yet and I'm lucky I can work from home but it takes as much of a toll mentally as it does physically. I don't expect anyone who hasn't been through it to understand. I was driven in to my office yesterday for a few hours (my leg was twice the size afterwards but that's my fault for not doing my exercises) and all everyone kept saying to me was 'I didn't expect you to look so well'. I could tell they were wondering why I was still off. I resorted to flashing my scar at one point which is great shock value I've found (I'm still walking with two crutches too so it's not like I'm skipping everywhere).

Mine is just a waiting game now. Which feels like Groundhog Day for me. The tears flow regularly so I know exactly how you feel. If you ever need to get it off your chest, just come on here. I'm on it regularly and wake every day at 4am!! It is a shame we all live all over the place, I think a cuppa and a catch up would do us all good. (I'm in the North West of England).

Just remember you're not alone though.

Kath xx

• Posted

I'm in the north too. Just outside Manchester.x Thanks for your reply JUst been shopping and spoke to a neighbour and found

out he had been going for chemo for cancer so that put my

little moans into perspective and made me feelguilty

• Posted

Don't feel guilty Joan. You're allowed to feel out of sorts with everything you've been through but at least you're able to see the 'it could be worse' part now. I bet you wouldn't of felt like that earlier when you were at your lowest.

I actually work in Manchester (live in Runcorn and had my surgery in Liverpool, I pretty much tour the entire North West) so we can always arrange a catch up one day. I just can't drive that far yet 😠

Keep going. Well done on getting out today xx

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel Joan. I'm 4 months tkr and now back to work full time and I think everyone thinks that's it - bang back to normal!!! There is no way that I feel back to normal if I ever will be and yes like the rest of us I seem to be in tears for no apparent reason. It would be good if we could arrange a get together somewhere just to meet up compare our stories and have a good laugh cry and plenty of drinks!! In the meantime have a bloody good cry and then get out in the sun!! 😢😢😢☀️☀️☀️☀️😎😎😎 xxx
    • Posted

yes and its our local town festival this weekend and I was going to be brave and take my grandaughter so im fuming and my other youngest 4 yr old grandaughter is competing at Derbyshire show this weekend and they were going to camp for the first time lol. Let's hope the forecast is wrong! !!!!!@
    • Posted

Fingers crossed they've got it wrong! Have a lovely weekend whatever the weather! ☀️☔️⛅️⚡️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.