Feeling down

Posted , 19 users are following.

Don't know what has just come over me. I am nearly 8 weeks

post . Operation on second tkr and have managed to stop all

my pain meds. I got up put some washing out and because it's

a lovely sunny day decided to go shopping and then have a sit

out in the sun this afternoon. However something just came over

me quite unexpectedly and I started to cry. What is happening?

I feel that only the people on here understand exactly what we

have gone through and don't feel that I can talk to my family

because they think that I am doing so well and now should be

back to normal. I wish people on here lived nearby and we could

meet up because some days I feel so lonely. I don't give off this

impression but I think it's the shock of the operation and trying

to get on with things. Anyway must pull myself together and

put on my coping face. Does anyone else feel like this? X

2 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm with everyone on this. I'm not normally a "cryer' but boy have I shed some tears, used ALL the swear words I know, and even made a few up. Yesterday I went on this forum to complain that my other knee is now playing up, and its still the same today. Fortunately, I'm seeing my consultant this afternoon about my operated knee. I'm 11 weeks in and can't understand why it's so stiff, but I do have muscles not working after wearing a knee support for last 11 years, and I also have fibromyalgia.......and menopausal! I might ask consultant if he'd be prepared to do my other knee too - am I mad or has the sun got to my head today. I just long for NORMALITY!  I've also put weight on.........so am now keeping more than one chin up lol!

Keep smiling everyone! 

• Posted

Consultant signed me off until at least 16 July. Said knee is fine but it will take time and effort to build up muscles to full strength to support it better. I'm making more effort than I've ever done for anything before so that I can return to normal asap. As for my other knee, I'm to do same exercises as I'm doing for operated knee to try and build muscle up in the hope it supports "good" knee a bit more. Consultant won't operate on second knee until first knee is stable - in a way I'm glad because after the last 11 weeks (and still counting!) I can't face that yet.
    • Posted

thats good!!!!! I might try the exercises on my good knee thats now aching I never thought of that? ?? keep up the good work!!
  • Posted

Joan, I just flat out tell people it's been a very emotionally difficult year. I'm also menopausal, so I'm all sorts of out of whack. No one know who they are going to bump into when we are together. We have to laugh about it and just accept that we are going through a lot. And then...laugh. I'd guess you folks in the UK would have an easier time of getting together than some of the rest of us. But maybe it's easier to be real with each other online. At any rate, I'm glad there is at least this site to help me not feel like a complete nut case. A dear friend of mine just had her first knee replaced. I keep telling her about this group and she says, "Why bother, I have you!" Ha!
  • Posted

I can relate big time. I had bilateral TKR's 14 weeks ago. I became very depressed 4-5 weeks post op. It is finally starting to lift. It has been the rare day that my husband did not find me in tears. My PCP gave a low dose antidepressant, because I had also lost it of weight. I am doing better, but this depression took me by surprise. I have learned that is is common after major surgery. Also, pain does a number on an individual. So get some help if need be. You are not alone in how your feeling.
  • Posted

Hi. I'm 3 weeks post TKR and I keep bursting into tears for what seems like no reason.  I had a good half day yesterday and then it turned worse and In the evening  I sobbed more times to my husband and son.  They just seem to come from nowhere, but when they do, I can't stop them!  But I'm not worried as I have read on here that many other people feel it too.
  • Posted

Suddenly life makes another turn and it's hard for the brain and body to make this adjustment. All of your hard work, pain and suffering is paying off. You are no longer a "cripple" and have to funtion in the real world and you are just trying to separate the feelings of joy, apprehension and maybe the fear of the unknown. I'm sure it will pass as just another phase but if it hangs on a quick visit to your doc would be in order. A good professional will help you work through it in a short Tom. Congratulations on your recovery and being able to get on with life
  • Posted

I wonder if it has something to do with stopping the pain meds?  Were you on tramadol, or co codamol, or something similar??? if so, you should reduce the intake gradually, as these are opiate type drugs, and habit forming, even at quite low doses. that would account for sudden tearfuness, irritibility, restless leg syndrome, diarrhoea, etc etc. . .   I tried to stop 'cold turkey' and it was a disaster. . had to do it gradually, over a couple of weeks . . . If not that, then it's probably just reaction to all the change in life, the trauma of the ope etc. . . Hope you feel better!
    • Posted

I was on paracetamol and just cut them down then stopped.

I want to be able to have a little drink in the garden with my

husband at weekend. I don't drink much but felt like I needed

something .x

• Posted

In that case, it has nothing to do with how you feel!  Paracetamol isn't addictive. . . I was on tramadol, a much stronger painkiller . . .Definitely your family need to understand that at eight weeks, there is NO WAY you are going to be back to normal.  Physically there is still a lot of healing going on in your leg, and it's bound to affect your whole body . . no doubt like most of us you have probems sleeping at night too . . so lack of sleep also makes life difficult.  Perhaps they should read all these comments, to understand how lucky they are to have you trying so hard at eight weeks!  Rather than you pulling yourself together and getting on with things, maybe they need to understand a little better just how much you have been through, and how you STILL need support both physical and emotional!  Anyway, a good cry sometimes releases the tension and does nobody any harm does it!  All the best!
  • Posted

I know exactly how you are feeling joan, it seems to me that because those around you perceive to to be recovered and back to normal (because we get on with things)then we struggle on to maintain this impression, sometimes when I am really struggling to do something  and getting no help I really wish tkr on my hubby just so he will know what I am dealing with !(how bad is that?)we have had major surgery , dreadful pain, huge loss of independence means we are stuck on our own a lot,  of course we feel down ,I know its hard to stay positive but we have to, be kind to yourself,if I could give you a big cyber hug I would ! best wishes to you
    • Posted

I agree Dotty folks helped me for a few days then nowt!!!!! I no im a youngster lol at 57 but it would be nice to have some help??? Since my hubby went back to work after a week at home if I need any help I have to ask? ??? its a bit annoying at times??
    • Posted

truly they have no idea,I reckon we try too hard, those who play the weak and feeble card seem to fare better,its rotten when you feel neglected by your hubby,chin up and best wishes to you
    • Posted

ohh I dont feel neglected by him lol hes very good IF I ask lol IF!!!! but as you say because we get on with things and we dont play the weak and feeble I think were left to it lol. AND then after all that work were lucky if we sleep lol lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.