Feeling good after myofascial release therapy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my TKR done 6 months ago. What an awful thing that was! Pain, drugs, depression, and worry followed by MUA because the knee wasn't bending, with more pain, drugs, depression and worry. Finally my knee was bending and I got off the drugs but I still had pain, and no energy or enthusiasm.

I spent so long dragging myself upstairs with one arm on the banister, and knitting 12 hours/day because I couldn't fo anything else, that I finally put my arm out. Rather than see another orthopedic surgeon, I went to a myofascial release therapist. Turns out he couldn't do much for my arm because the problem was an inflamed bursa and I did in the end get a cortisone shot for that.

But then he started work on my knee. After the first session it was bending easily 10 degrees more than it ever had and with NO pain - NO pain in the session with him or with my knee after. After my second session I just felt good! I did paperwork and the bank, and the DMV, went shopping, came home and picked spinach from the garden and made a quiche for dinner, followed by and hour or so of pulling weeds. I haven't had a productive day like that in MONTHS! And I was walking fast - people were getting in my way instead of the other way round. So I'm now sure that I can be a normal person again, even though I have to knuckle down sometime soon and get the other knee done.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

so pleased for you I am 10 weeks post op, got cellulitis in my leg in hospital was in for 12 days, pain every day that meds weren't touching including morphine, 9 days after discharge back in with blood clot on lung, so very down at the moment, knee is swollen stiff and painful, frustrated I can't drive yet, still hanging onto banister one step at a time upstairs, good family support, but wish I was independent again, looking forward to a normal day.
    • Posted

Hi Dorothy

I feel your pain.

I had a tkr on jan 6th.then went to rehab.

at rehab after 2 days they forgot to give me blood thinner...so I developed a blood clot In my leg.they then doubled my thinner an I went home after another week there because of all that..my bend was horrible cause of bed rest.

I then went home with a 50 degree bend.I start home theraphy ..then another set back I started hemorraging...an back to hospital I went...4 things of blood later an intensive csre..I have a small blood clot on lung now....super depressed at this point...5 more days of bed rest........bad for knee..

finally released..all this in a months time..

finally get back to theraphy knee arts to bend a bit...all be it slow..got it to about 75....before I went back to work...know in out pati ef nt have it to maybe 90 doc says probably all I'll ever have because of everything else an still on blood thinners for clot in leg still they say it can take up to a year to go away.......an still have to do other leg at some point....but other than stiffness an a horrible bend feeling ok....I just want to be able to walk up stairs the normal way......so I feel your pain

• Posted

So sorry you have all these complications Dorothy. At least the only ones I had a were a knee that didn't bend properly and pain that the drugs couldn't touch. At your stage I know the feeling - not being sure that things will ever be normal again and the dependence on others for everything is so frustrating. But anyway, I think I can surely say that unless you get other complications this WILL end. Keep your eye on 6 months....
    • Posted

Darlene are they saying that you will only ever have 90 bend because they can't risk an MUA because of the blood clot? Or are they saying that they don't want to bother with an MUA? Do find out the reason or get a second opinion because an MUA really did it for me as far as the bend goes.
    • Posted

The pain I have now is nothing to the crippling pain I had before my op, I was housebound for six months, and I know I will lose this pain eventually, some seem to recover so much quicker than others, I missed out of a lot of home physio because of the complications, but am excersising daily so hope it helps, my age doesn't help, I'm 75 not young anymore. Many thanks.
  • Posted

That sounds really good - I have not heard of it before. I see the consultant tomorrow (it's been a long time coming), re the malalignment. I'm sure, because the soft tissue is always trapping, something like that could help me (if they decide I have to wait a year before a revision). I haul myself up stairs numerous times a day, one step at a time (lounge & kitchen both on the 3rd floor) - have serious aching arms because of it. I spend a lot more time feeling depressed as I'm so scared they will leave me like this. It's the constant pain I'm struggling with, my leg bends, but it's painful. I have no idea what the bend is. It always feels tight because of the "overhang". Last night I spent two hours tidying cupboards between 2am & 4am, as I just couldn't sleep. Tomorrow seems to be taking forever!
    • Posted

Veronica I had a rough time but I know what you are going through is worse. Be aware that doctors think that myofascial release therapy is quackery. I didn't tell the one I saw about my shoulder where I found out that it might be an inflamed bursa - just that I saw a 'therapist'. I don't know how successful it would be if your joint is out of alignment but it's certainly worth a try I think. It's a painless precedure and can't do any harm, and may do some good. May be able to give your arms some relief too.
  • Posted

I just talked to a myofacial release PT yesterday and was not sure if I should make an appointment. I am definitely going to do so. I am 13 weeks pist op bilateral TKR's. I'm making good progress but I'm impatient. Thanks for the info. And encouragement!
    • Posted

Joyce I was the same as you - thought about it when things were bad but didn't do it. Only went now because of my arm, and it turned out that what it helped was my knee, When I get the second one done I'm going to combine the 2 therapies for sure.
    • Posted

Just made an appointment for next week to try myofacial PT in conjunction with traditional PT. I will report after. Thanks again.
  • Posted

Hi,

Went to the myofacial therapist this morning. I don't know if it made s"difference" yet, but it felt good. She also focused on my gait and increasing my pelvic movement, arm swing, etc., as I am very stiff looking. I am going back in 2 weeks. I also wouldn't replace traditional PT, but it seems like it could be a good thing concurrently.

• Posted

That's about where my thinking is on it. Hard to put a finger on it but I do feel better after a session.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.