Feeling happy but confused

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 2 and a half weeks post 2nd surgery on a trimalleolar fracture and a shattered tibia and fibula. I had my 1st surgery 4 weeks ago which wasn't a success.

Anyhow I had my staples out yesterday, and was told I only had to have my cast on another 4 weeks rather than another 6 weeks. I have to get my cast changed weekly though because my long scar is still weeping.

I'd just like to say thank you to this forum for helping me out because 2 weeks ago there was 2 days where I thought I couldn't go and some members of this forum said it was natural to feel like that. I'm feeling a lot more positive and have began putting a positive slant on not so good days.

My next goal in sight is getting my cast off and beginning to weight bare I've read a lot of comments saying this is very uncomfortable. Another thing is I am keeping the metal work in and a lot of you are getting it taken out is this normal?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I am also keeping my metal in. You and I seem to be a minority on this forum to do that. I am ten months post surgery and I have been fine. Good luck. Keep posted. I want to know your progress. An advantage to getting your cast changed weekly is the chance to look at your scar and the relief of getting your ankle and leg breathing with fresh air and a small time frame relief from the swelling.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Yvonne how was it when you started to weight bare?

I've got that in sight as my next mile stone. How old are you if you don't mind me asking and where are you from?

• Posted

When I started to weight bare, it was fine. I used crutches and my doctor showed me how to step with the crutches when starting to weight bear. I did little by little and then walked a bunch with my boot and crutches. I walked alot due to a vacation that required a ton of walking. Did elevating and icing at bedtime. And now at 10 months, I am finally back to my quick walking speed. I worked out at the gym in boot and crutches from week 7 and on. I am 59, but my body is young for my age. Doctors have told me that, since I was 40. I have always been active in sports and running. I am not running anymore. That is my only hesrtbreak.

My first weightbearing steps were more like swiftly rolling my weight from heel to toe on my surgery foot and walking quickly with my crutches, with my nonsurgery foot taking most of my weight. Your ankle and foot will know. Elevating and icing work magic. I am from Milwaukee WI area. I hope this gives you an idea what weightbearing will be like. Good luck!

• Posted

I think my doc said you get hardware out only if it bothers you or in my case will limit my range of motion. If it doesn't bug you keep it in. Weight bearing in 4 weeks is great, your muscle wont atrophy as much . I was 13 weeks and it was a long journey. I'm 18 weeks out and have taken my first hands free steps, but still a long way to go. I can only go fir about 12-15 steps then tire. A few more each day but it is a slow process.

Good luck on your journey!

Margie

• Posted

Hi Margie it will be 9 weeks total since my accident.

I've had 2 surgeries so that pushed my recovery back.

I'm so happy you've managed to take your first hands free steps that's awesome.

I've read you need to start taking pain meds again when you start walking is that true and what are you doing for swelling etc?

• Posted

HI Chazma

I fell on January 16/17 result was a comminuted trimalleolar pilon fracture ( shattered Tib/fib ) I had ORIF surgery the following day - 2 plates 19 screws

I spent the first 8 days in hospital with the surgical cast on - 2 weeks post op surgeon removed surgical cast and I went straight into an air cast. At this point in my recovery I am walking without the air cast, no crutches - fully weight bearing.... my hardware will not be coming out either.

When you first start weight bearing it will be awkward and uncomfortable but it will get easier smile

Keep up the positive attitude and good luck with your recovery

Cheers Elle

• Posted

Hi Elle,

That's pretty similar to mine except I have more plates and less pins than you do.

What is an air cast? I've never came across that term is it the boot?

That is awesome news well done I hope I am as fortunate as you as I don't know how long work will continue to pay me for.

I know I have a long way to go it's just nice to see light at the end of the tunnel eventually

Thanks

Charlotte

• Posted

Chazma

Air cast is the removable boot - it gives you the freedom to remove it and work on your range of motion .... I was told I could remove it to bathe or if I was sitting with my foot elevated - I removed it as much as possible and really pushed myself hard as I have zero coverage for being off work sad

• Posted

Yeah that's me at the moment work are being supportive for the time being but they won't pay me forever as I'm a supervisor.

I had the boot on after my first surgery, loved it, but my cast is so much lighter.

I kept my boot from my initial surgery as a momento as I was miles from home when it happened. My little keep sake

• Posted

Do you know if it is ok to remove the boot for much of the time? I broke my ankle 5 days ago and only put it on when moving about. I'm afraid I will hit it or fall again and do more damage.

• Posted

I personally didn't remove the boot at all. As I was afraid my ankle would just snap again after the first surgery.

I would recommend leaving it on if you've had surgery as much as you can so the bones have support and can heal correctly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.