FEELING HOPELESS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im a 30 year old male suffering from severe constipation, reflux with no heart burn or indigestion and recently, extremely bad breath. Is there any hope for me? Some times I find myself short of breath so I was thinking it could be pneumonia but i don't fit many of the symptoms. Could the bad breath be coming from my lungs? Or from the chronic constipation?? Is there any hope for me? Please help. By the way the only way I truly get relief is from Colonic Irrigation. But it's getting costly. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Get yourself off to the doctor. You might not have heartburn or indigestion but the bad breath could be a sign of oesophagitis or gastritis. Silent reflux does the same damage but the person doesn't feel the discomfort. Once you're on the right treatment for you, you will feel better. For the constipation there's nothing quite like good old fashioned prunes - a lot cheaper than colonic irrigation.
    • Posted

I actually planned on going to docs today but the last time I went I had just had a colonic and they said I was still severely constipated. And I do do prunes and fiber a lot. It's a hit and miss with that. I think I need an upper endoscopy as it's been a while and your right,  I could have some esophagus damage. Thanks for the feedback,  I will keep you posted. 
    • Posted

If you're still severely constipated having had a colonic then you may have a problem with your small intestine. I'm surprised the doctor didn't think of that possibility. There are so many gastric conditions it could take time but it should be investigated. Wheat can cause bloating so try cutting down on it. I agree with raising the bedhead. Don't use pillows to raise yourself as you will slip and slump when you're asleep. I think trying to get an endoscopy done is a good idea.
  • Posted

Hi Bigdipper, sounds like you have hiatus hernia. Part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm. This can prevent the lower osophagial sphincter from closing properly. Hence odours from the stomach can give you bad breath. The stomach above the diaphragm is competing for space in the chest cavity causing shortage of breath. Silent reflux happens at night in bed or when you lay down, because the sphincter isn't shut acid can migrate along the now horizontal osophagus.

remedy. Raise the bed head 6 inches. Eat little and often. Avoid fatty food. Don't wear tight clothing. Take a good digestive enzyme tablet that has betaine hcl in it. Helps digest food and prevent bloating (bad for hiatus hernia). Eat plenty of veg and fruit. Oranges keep me regular and eggs constipated me real bad. If eating right and laxatives don't work then a home enema kit will work as good as colonic irrigation and a fraction of the price. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.