Feeling ill.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I am 49 and have had stomach problems several years. I decided to go to the doctors as I was suffering from daily heartburn/ indegestion/acid reflux. The doc sent me to hospital for an endoscopy, it revealed that I have inflammation of the stomach and small bowel. (Gastritis). My diet is terrible, junk food, too much alcohol, hardly eat any fruit or veg, drink too much coffee. Over the last year, I have been getting a dull aching pain in my upper right quadrant area. I’ve had 2 scans on my gallbladder, both clear, nothing found. I’ve been on and off PPI’s for the last 2 years. I’ve recently started back on Ezomeprazole for the last 8 days because everything I eat is causing me unberable heartburn, the pain in the lining of my stomach is worse since going back on the PPI’s,  I hate the things, I feel terrible on them and terrible without them. Over the last 4 days I have had the worst nausea I’ve ever had, I’m feeling dizzy and lousy. How do I know if it’s my gallbladder, liver or pancreas that’s giving me problems? Ive had  chest pain the last 2 days, pain in my kidneys, I feel as if I need to make myself sick to get relief from the nausea. Im also getting cold shivers, I’m definitely changing my diet, can’t go in like this any longer. Has anyone got similar symptoms? or any ideas? Don’t know if it’s related, I’ve had a terrible thirst the last 2 days. I have high blood pressure as well and oedema n the left ankle, calf sometimes swells a little. Theirs definitely an issue with fluid retention as well. I’m 5ft 3 and 16 stone. I’m carrying a fair bit of weight as well. If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful if you could share them with me. Thanks 🙏.

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Change your diet asap!! I have had the same symptons! You just have one life and your body obviously shows you that it suffers from how you treat it.

Every single cell in our body needs the right nutrients and water to function properly!! 

• Posted

True, it’s shocking that we do this to our bodies. I’m at my wits end, I went vegan for 2 weeks and felt great, but couldn’t stick to it, and went back to the junk foods. I’ve had enough. Did you get any tests done? Have you managed to change to a healthy diet before doing any damage to your organs? 
    • Posted

Hi, yes, I feel much better now and was able to pull it off before something worse happened.. I am lactose free, gluten free and trying to give my body the nutrients it needs. Check on governmental sites to find the right daily nutrients (It's called DRI) since all the other studies and upcoming trends etc are just not supported enough. 

• Posted

Thanks, will do. Glad to hear your feeling better. 👍

• Posted

If your gallbladder came up fine twice, then gallbladder problems have been ruled out.  Your problems are likely from your gastritis. which did show up.  Change your diet avoiding greasy, spicy and rich foods. If you came off PPIs quickly, you may have got acid rebound and it is also possible that they don’t agree with you.  Gastritis can take time to heal so all you can do is to watch your diet, take your medication and wait it out. However, sometimes, gastritis can be chronic and you may always have flare ups because your stomach has developed a sensitivity.
    • Posted

I’ve had chronic Gastritis for years, problem is when I take meds I feel sick and when I don’t I feel sick. I’m definitely completely changing my diet, I know I’ve caused all of this by my faulty eating habits. I’m just hoping it’s not too late, and I don’t end up with anything more serious. Just unsure as to what the dull aching pain in the upper right quadrant can be 🤔. I’m hoping it’s not a fatty liver or a problem with my pancreas. 

• Posted

Hi Gillian68

Cut out all fatty fried foods and spicey foods citrus fruits fizzy drinks and caffeine...drink water nothing acidic.

Take chicken fish boiled or baked in part water part olive oil. Leafy green veg not too much sprouts broc or cabbage they can cause gas. Take probiotic tabs and biopot plain greek yogurt with cultures and blueberries. Also gluten free and wheat free lactose free foods..if you are unusually thirsty get checked for diabetes ..also have lipase and other pancreatic enzyme blood checks for pancreatitis....

• Posted

Hi Mary,Yes, I’ll need to cut out all the fatty, sugary acidic foods. I have filtered water,so I’ll drink plenty of that, I’ll magnetise it as well. I’ve been taking probiotics for a week, since I went back on the PPI’s, thought it might replace the good bacteria that the PPI’s were killing, but my stomach is in agony. I can’t take yogurt, as I think I have a lactose intolerance, I always feel really bloated and sluggish after eating yoghurt. Yes, sounds good to me, I think I’ll ask the doc to check for diabetes, I’ll ask about the test for the pancreas and liver. Thanks Mary. 👍

• Posted

Normally when you have an ultrasound, they scan your liver as well as your gallbladder, kidneys, bladder and spleen. They usually tell you what they have scanned. If there was anything wrong with them, it would show up and you would be told. That’s how you would know if there was anything amiss.

However, the pancreas sometimes cannot be be seen on ultrasound because of its position.  You could ask for a CT or MRI of your pancreas to reassure you or ask for a blood test to test your pancreatic enzymes amylase and lipase.

Try diet first and maybe switch to over the counter H2 blockers such as Gaviscon instead of PPIs.  Milk is also good for nausea and heartburn.  You could alsomask for anti nausea medication. Try not to worry about your symptoms or what caused them because worry will make your gastritis worse.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa,  I’ll ask them to do that. Had a terrible night last night, woke up to my kidneys in agony this morning, I have a terrible thirst, my stomach is sore all over,  I’ve  got really bad cramping. All I’m able to take is water, so I’m trying to drink as much filtered water as I can, I’ll try and get an app with the doc, but it’s increadibly hard to get doc apps where I’m from, 2 to 3 weeks. 😟

• Posted

Ask your doctor to test for diabetes as well because thirst is a symptom.
    • Posted

Hi Gillian 68

Happy to help!!..you can buy lactose free yogurt at popular supermarkets....i do hope you get to the cause of your symptoms...

• Posted

Hi Gillian 68

I read your post to pippa. If i were you i would not wait 2-3 weeks to see a doctor since you are in a lot of pain with your kidneys and you have excessive thirst, i think you would be wise to call out of hours doctors or go to A and E and take a urine sample with you.....

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

Can you explain the difference between PPI and H2 blockers?

Thank you smile

• Posted

Hi vicki85531

PPI's shut down proton pump in the stomach....H2 blockers work by blocking histermine receptors in acid producing cells in the stomach....

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I never really understood exactly how it works and currently take ppi. 

• Posted

I would have said the same thing about PPIs and H2 blockers but I didn’t see your post in time!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.