Feeling like it's weird to be "me", anxiety, depressed....what do i do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just started taking 5 mg of ciralopram....this is day 2. I've been depressed and not beenough able to shake it because of my parents getting a rather messy divorce. I feel worse after taking the meds, but this is a start to getting to 10mg...how fast should I do that? The medicine makes me have a headache and dry heave and I've woken both mornings with a pounding heart and high anxiety and clammy. Also, does anybody else feel they are "out of body" feeling with their depression or anxiety? I feel it's weird to be alive, to be me, and I really want to get better and also work on a relationship with my fairly new boyfriend and well as my teaching. I even get high panic attacks while driving. Will taking meds help at all? Is this all normal?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Usually with anti depressants we feel worse before we feel better.  The medication can take up to 6 weeks to have any effect, sometimes longer.  What you are experiencing at the moment is not unusual, but it should subside the longer you take the medication. 

Anxiety and depression has many symptoms, which can be different, in different people.  Often these are physical symptoms.  I have had them myself and had tests at hospital which were negative. 

Well hopefully taking the medication should help you.  If after 8 weeks you are not feeling better, go back to your doctor.  It can take trying different medications until you find the one that suits you.  Some have side effects.  I have been taking anti depressants for over 20 years, and have been on many different ones.  Some had side effects. 

Hopefully your depression and anxiety will get better with medication and time.  Doctors usually recommend someone take the anti depressant for at leasdt 6 months.

Let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Thank you. Im just wondering if I should take 10 mg instead of 5mg for better results. It's so hard I can barely function. I know I can beat this. It's just kinda scary and people don't really want to talk about it.
  • Posted

hi there citalopram does take a while to work so if after 2 weeks you still feel bad go and see your doctor i was on citalopram for a couple of years i end up on about 20/30 mgs but had to.change to venlafaxine !  I wish you well and hope.things get better soon david

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.