Feeling like the Tin Man!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all. I'm about 18 weeks post op ( was feeling so well I stopped counting) and am on holiday in Menorca. I didn't realize how much effort it takes at the airport, and at the resort, walking everywhere, even Around the hotel.  I've managed to swim every day if nothing else the cold water is soothing.  My leg feels very stiff almost like the Tin Man!  And the pain!  Oh my god I'm back to waking up 3 times a night again, and the bed is hard!  I'm due back at work in a fortnight, back to earth with a bump.  Anyone else had a rude awakening?  Hoping it will eventually get better. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi elaine your not on ur own I had my op 5.3.15 and have just done 2 days 1 night in Northumberland ab gorgeous!!! Strolling on the beach in the hot sun but boy have I paid for it - stiff knee swollen ankle husband hauling me up steps etc and im the same back at work 29.7.15 and all my hubby kept saying was well ul have to get used to it your back at work soon!!!!!!!!!! Aghhhhhhhhh still I suppose its good to no were not the only ones??
    • Posted

Hi Andrea I'm so glad I'm not the only one!  Mine was done on 9 March and I thought I was 'there' now but oh no. Not yet it literally feels like a metal joint, I suppose as the feeling is back in it now.  I am doing stairs now without crutches so I suppose that's progress!  Let me know how you get on back at work!  I'm back on phased return on 14 July. Planning on doing 2 days a week for a while.  Not all bad eh. X
    • Posted

I go bak on a thursday so doing half days for a week and a half but I had to start physio last week because of the stiffness and inflammation in my knee!!!!! Also was put on strong anti inflammatorys and lanzaprosole for the affects of those!!!!! HELL its a journey and half but I must say I AM beginning to see the results and im sure its gonna be better than the constant pain even my hubby said im walking much much better!!!!
  • Posted

Hi all,  am 11 weeks TkR  post op been signed off  work for another 6 weeks, but am a walking/delivery postman  we walk nearly 10 miles a day delivering and around the office, so I dont think ill ever get back doing my job again.  Ive pushed my self at physio to try and get my leg stronger,but as you say Elaine you feel like a Tin Man, leg stiff and swollen  you feel like your getting there then BANG you go backwards,  i no its a long journey .but somtimes wish i never had it done  sry for the moan ,,    hope all of you a quick recovery Brian
    • Posted

Ohhhh Brian im sure it will get better im 16 weeks not back at work yet and still avin problems with stiffness so im taking anti inflammatorys again????
  • Posted

Not sure I would have risked going abroad at 18 weeks.

At 15 weeks I managed a 4 day holiday to Weymouth from Brecon in Wales going on a coach. That was quite enough.

Now 3 years on I can honsetly say, it does get better and is worth all the hard work now.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.