Feeling lonely and sad, anxiety and low mood

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi, I come onto this site a few days ago. I've been dealing with anxiety and low mood since August and have tried natural remedies but was unsuccessful. My dr prescribed me sertaline which I was reluctant to take even though I'd been on it before a few years ago, my anxiety is a little different this time. I had panic attacks and found it difficult being in crowded places but this time I'm not as bad in crowded places and I haven't had many panic attacks either but it's still the worse. I have 2 children so still need to get up and sort them out plus I'm self employed so have to go to work otherwise no pay. I'd love to be able to stay in bed all day until I felt better but that's not going to happen. I'm married but recently been going through some difficulties and not sure if we will stay together which makes my anxiety even worse. We haven't really spoken and today he packed his things and went down south (that's where he works and stays) said he was miserable and needed to get away. So I'm left on my own with my 2 kids on New Year's Eve. 

Started taking sertaline on Monday so been on it 6 days and it's heighten my anxiety which is not great. I'm on 25mg as I told the dr I wanted to start slow but she told me to go Upto 50mg within a week so I'm taking 50mg tomorrow I'm just hoping that my side effects don't get any worse as I'm on my own now. 

Sorry for going on just needed to get it off my chest and if anyone wants to message me feel free 

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

So sorry for what is happening at this time of year.

Take the medications at their ew level advised by your GP. Se how you go although if your life progresses down a slipping way over the next few weeks you may need to talk to your GP again and explain your breakup ???. He may introduce more treatment to help

Hope all works out for you  in 2017 You know where we are

BOB

• Posted

Thank you Bob for your kind words. I will try the high dose tomorrow and hope that it doesn't give me any worse side effects. I've got a pre booked drs appointment next Friday so will see how it goes.

All the best for the new year

Michelle

• Posted

Hi I suffer from severe anxiety my chest pain today is frightening me so much I'm home alone with my daughter we was meant to be going to a party but I just don't feel well enough, I'm also on same medication as you I've felt ok but today I've been knocked for 6! I really hope u start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Hi Louise, thanks for getting in touch. It's a horrible illness, it's nice to actually speak to people that know exactly what your going through.

I'm hoping l feel abit better tomorrow.

How long have you been on sertaline for and how are you finding it? Xx

• Posted

Yes it's great to talk to people that have the same , I've been on them for 6 weeks apart from today I thought I was doing a bit better . Feel like I'm bk at the beginning now and I too hope I'm better in morning , happy new year to u If u want to message feel free xx

• Posted

How did you get on at the start, did you have many side effects? What dose are you on? Yes I would like to message xx
    • Posted

Well I thought they were until today maybe just having an off day but it's scary it's the thinking that something is wrong with me I can't handle , how do u feel? Xx

• Posted

They will be, your bound to still get some off days tho. Do you think you need to increase or do you think 50mg is ok for you?

I'm ok, had some side effects like dry mouth, headache etc and last few days heightened anxiety which is not good as that's what I want to get away from! Xx

• Posted

Hello Michelle

So sorry to hear this. Been there, done it worn the T shirt!!

?You will get by don't worry. Take your meds as prescribed. If you feel worse ring 111 or the ambulance service. Alternatively if you want to talk then there are the Samaritans on a freephone number 0116 1234.They are there 24/7, it is completely confidential., non judgmental and will listen whilst you talk through how you are feeling.

Then youhave us , we are here for you as well.

The meds may make you feel whoozy so it might be a good idea to wait until say Monday before increasing the dose as the GP surgery will be open then .

Try to distract yourself although with childrfen you willhave Company.

Take care

Keep strong.

?You are not on your own .

• Posted

Thank you eileen31681 for your kind words. I do hope I get through this, it's so horrible at the moment and the meds don't help with there side effects but I'm going to stick with them.

Yes I think I may do that and wait until Monday when drs are back to normal.

Where you on sertaline?

Thanks again

Michelle x

• Posted

Hi Michelle the drs surgerymay not be open until Tuesday but it will not matter because we have the out of hour and 111 service to fall back on.

No I have never taken sertaline or any anti depressans as they are contraindicated for me due to medical conditions. However I know a lot about them because I was depressed and anxious and drs took a year to diagnose a thyroid problem. ANti depressants were suggested but when reserched were totally unsuitable. They would not have worked anyway because the cause was an endocrinological cause.

If things are a bit difficult between you and your hubby at the moment it may be better to try measures not involving taking any medication.

If you cn afford it you may wish to approach someone privately in your area. Say a counsellor. Even if you ring up to enquire about rates, when someone could see you etc the counsellor will speak with you. This in itself may prove therpeutic enough to tide you over this difficult time of year.

You do not have to give your personal details or any info about seeing a therapist. Just ask the relevant questions that you would ask of anyoe you were considering employing. Sonds callous but you hve to put yourself and children first.

Take care.

• Posted

Hey there, I'm sorry to hear that your husband just left for the new year's eve,that's unacceptable. However you have your lovely kids and you should take strength from them. I know anxiety is really, bad I'm going through it as well. Hang in there, be patient!try some breathing techniques when you feel really bad, it actually helps! Then you can try meditation or working out (serotonin boost) best of luck and a happy new year! You're not alone!

• Posted

Thank you needhelp for your kind words. Yes I do the breathing and your right it does help, I've also been doing an app too mindfulness which does help. I did start jogging last week 5days out of 7 and felt good for it but not been out at all this week as started the sertaline and just not felt like it. Be more difficult now I'm on my own.

Are you on any meds?

Happy new year to you too and thanks again

• Posted

I've heard about that app, I should download it too and see what happens! Yeah working out when you feel like this,is difficult. Personally, I get tired more easily. I was on meds for a week until I saw the horrible side effects and also read about horrible withdrawal symptoms so I stopped them early. Don't think about meds they will work in a month (if they work cause they might not be right for you) and it 's a never ending circle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.