Feeling low

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi everyone I had right hip replaced 10 days a go. I'm doing my exercises and I think I'm doing quite well but the last couple of days I've felt miserable and at times angry with some tears in between! Is this normal ? I have been on antidepressants for several years and they do manage my depression quite well just wondered is this something that others go through or do I need to woman up! Any advice appreciated

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I think I can safely say that this is pretty normal. You sound just like me. My husband would come in and find me in tears and I couldn't tell him exactly what was wrong. I think your body and emotions get all jumbled up with this big surgery. After a few months, you'll be up doing regular stuff and feel better. By the way, I am on antidepressants too, but still had these episodes. Just work thru each day. I am sending good thoughts out to you!

• Posted

Hi Lynne

Had my op on 26th July. I am also on anti depressants. I too have felt like you. Think frustration of not being able to do for myself ( not good on being reliant on others) plus pain was worse than what I expected. But now I feel great virtually pain free moving good and all healing well. Just keep going it dies get better everyday xx

• Posted

Not unusual to feel that way. You had major surgery which not only affects the physical but also the emotional. While I was on pain pills in the beginning of my recovery, I had some "teary" times and couldn't figure out why since that's not my usual way of feeling. I figured it could be the pain pills or just the whole recovery situation. I think it was partly feeling out of control since I couldn't do everything I was used to doing.

It will pass. There can be ups and downs during recovery. Part of the healing process as the body returns to normal.

• Posted

Thank you all it is comforting to know that I'm not on my own feeling like this. Much thanks xx

• Posted

Absolutely normal - I was like that the first two times, been looking out for it this time, but so far I have escaped it.

It's a right roller-coaster ride both physically and emotionally, even for 'tough' guys.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Very normal. Just like the post baby blues
    • Posted

Maggie, as I was posting my response before, I was thinking the same thing! Our bodies are very mysterious.....hard to understand sometimes.
  • Posted

Hi I am 7 week post operation. Like you after about two weeks I also cried easily was very emotional I think it's quite normal

• Posted

Certainly normal I cried every day for a fortnight, definitely to do with not being able to do what I could before the op after that got more mobile and felt much better! 

Good luck with your recovery! 

• Posted

I was exactly the same. It hit me on day 13. (I’m also on antidepressants. ) I felt extremely low and tearful. It didn’t last long. Hope you’re feeling better soon xxx
  • Posted

Thanks all I think there is a good amount of frustration and lack of sleep in the mix and the fact that I know I'm going to go through it again with the other hip! Hopefully it will pass soon .

• Posted

Hi Lynne. Just to say me too and the depression hit me after 3days post op. All the physical healing went well which in some ways made my mood harder to understand. After a few weeks normality returned gradually. One of the things that helped was a tip from someone on this forum. She began to write e mails to herself noting the positives and adding the little triumphs of each successive day. It became an interesting log too! It does go. All the very best. Dave
    • Posted

Thanks Dave that's very interesting I could do that and maybe that might help when I have the other one done reading through how I felt the first time. Thanks for that! Lynne

• Posted

I'm not on antidepressants but was just the same AND it was around 10 days.  Perhaps its because the initial care and attention you get and give to yourself has stopped as you get used to getting around etc BUT you still have a long way to go to recover and get back to normality.  I got bouts of it over the last year (had mine August 2017) and feel like crying sometimes.  One thing I do feel now though is just how little you need to do to get by in life.  This time last year I was spending less money, was watching box sets, read a book or two over the weeks IN THE DAY TIME and not just to fall to sleep with and generally slowed down.  I am trying to recover that sense of quieter and calmer approach to things now.  Make the most and celebrate the positives?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.