Feeling low after 9 weeks post TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi. I read many of the posts on this forum and it is great how people emphasise and support one another. I'm 9 weeks post TKR and feeling low. I don't think I've felt good since the operation. Some good days, better than others, and always feeling tired. I've spondylosis to content with too so I guess the double whammy of sore back and post-op knee is not good! I can walk OK with my knee, up to an hour, and have been driving for three weeks. My big issue is with bending. The knee is still very stiff and hard. I can't walk down stairs normally nor can I ride an exercise bike. Maybe that is no big deal but I'm only about 75% where I think I should be in terms of bending. I've tried weaning of Co-Codamol (nearly there) and that has been bad too, with flu symptoms appearing when I scale back too quickly. Sorry for the moans but feeling down and wondering whether things will ever be OK. Off to the pub later today to cheer myself up. At least I can sit at the bar!

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Don't worry. Bending was a real problem for me when I had TKR 3 years ago.

You could try this exercise.

Sit on bed or couch.

Have a tea try at your feet and keep osocks on

Gently slide your foot up the tray and mark hw far you get to.

Next time try and get a bit further.

This was one of the exercises I did when I was at physiotherapy and it really helped.

Gently and slowly but when you get to the point you think you can't go any further just start pushing that last little bit.

Believe me it does get better and come right in the end.

Hope this helps

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dode

You sound like your doing great to me...I wish that I could have walked that far at 9 weeks (I couldn't with either knee).

The bend will come, in time.  I struggled with the exercise bike, too, not helped by the fact that I'd already had the seat permanently shortened, so I couldn't raise it to make it easier.  Stairs will come, too.  Just take it easy and don't beat yourself up too much.

My problem with both knees has been straightening after a few weeks...and this is far more important for being able to walk.

Keep at it and you will see more and more progress.

Patsy

(1st TKR Dec 2012 - now really good.  2nd TKR Sept 2014 - facing further surgery this Sept)

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

9 weeks is still very early in the scheme of things. And honestly I couldn't walk that long at this stage.

have you tried the pool and do aqua aerobics or hydrotherapy, I've had great results from being in a warm pool. Just a thought. Also don't compare your recovery to any one else as we are all different our surgeons. Diseases etc are all unique to you..it will hopefully settle in soon..

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

The exercise Sarah has mentioned below is the most common one given. It definitely helps. The bend will improve if you keep working on it. It's much easier to achieve than straightening.

Another one that really works is to push your hands against a wall and bend into it with the operated leg. Bend until it sticks and hold for a count of ten.

You need to make sure you are still doing all of the exercises as well as the walking and driving as both have a negative impact on the range of movement. My physio said that one of the most common mistakes people make following TKR is stopping their exercises once they can walk a distance.

You are still in the early days. I'm 22 weeks post and due for an MUA and muscle surgery next week as my bend and extension are poor. Just keep plodding along and it will definitely improve. I'd already been told at 9 weeks that I had further issues so yours just needs time. I was still on oxycodene at 9 weeks due to my complications, pain was still unbearable so you're already doing better than you think.

Try not to be so hard on yourself and keep going xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your post sounds very familiar to me!  I remember at six weeks, being signed off, walking quite well and being told no more crutches. . great.  then there seemed to be a period when progress was minimal, and sometimes backwards...and around twelve weeks, another sudden improvement with swelling decreasing and the bend improving 5 degrees overnight!  However, stairs are still a problem for me. . . not sure it it is because of the hip clicking, the ankle problems, or the knee. . .I can walk down the stairs properly, but it is much more comfortable to do it sideways!  Still tired all the time . . will that ever end?  Off pain medications totally, but still on sleeping tablets.  Maybe that is the problem, but otherwise, no sleep!  Hope you soon begin to feel yourself again!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi dode please dont wean yourself off meds yet when your bend is not where you need it to be ,because the excersises you need to do to get more of a bend are hard and the more pain you have the less likely you are to push that bend ,i was like you once felt i needed to reduce meds but its not important at this stage go back on them and get that bend as much as you can otherwise you might have to have a MUA to bend it . and you only want to go there if comepletly necessary i too had withdrawalfrom meds when you do wean do it very very slowly its no problem that way ,you have every reason like us all to moan you have been through a huge op and its going to take time to recover no one is the same some recover very fast but others like me its alot slower i hope you can manage to get more bend it would make life alot easier physio might be worth it good luck
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Many thanks to all the wonderful and supportive posts. I feel better already! I will try all of the things mentioned including the tea tray technique! Sounds like an Olympic sport. Perhaps I should continue with part Co-Codamol/part Paracetamol for a little longer. Doesn't help that I've to have a tooth out later this week, but at least my body will be immune to further pain by now! Again, sincere thanks and good luck to all of you. Now off to bend my knee.....
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Dode

Im also 9 weeks and you're a lot further than I am in some things.  My bend and straight are Ok though I'm still working on them but I can't walk for an hour and I can't drive yet.  I can do stairs up, but only sometimes can I go down properly.  I also get very tired, if I do too much I struggle the following day and can't sleep at night.  And I still take my meds.

i think this shows we Are all different - although we had the op done at the same time, you are further than me in some things, I am further than you in others.  Don't worry too much - I'm sure in a few more weeks we will have caught each other up!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It is hard to be upbeat and happy when you aren't feeling well.

I hope things will turn out better for you each day.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi dode,   am at 13 weeks post TKR, and i feel real down 3/4 times aweek still, i push myself to go for a pint or even to take the mrs shopping, this opp has real took it out of me, my knee started to inprove from week 3  but the last 2 weeks i have been in pain right and left side of my knee,  i try and walk a little bit more every day as i need to  so i can go back to my job ( postman/ delivery ) but like you have said  i hav,nt felt the same person since the opp myself, any way   hope all inproves your end and have a quick recovery  oh am 57  but now feel 87  sorry for those who are 87  biggrin
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up