Feeling physically unwell with depression?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have had anxiety and depression for some time and been off work. Recently the depression has got worse. I am not currently on an anti-depressant but am about to start escitalopram. A big problem is that I am feeling so physically unwell, a sick nauseous feeling, feeling a bit hot, cloudy headed and generally weak and unwell. I am also getting some bowel symptoms. All these are not good as when I do start an ad that will have effects on top of how rubbish I am feeling anyway. My GP has just arranged some blood tests but I wonder is it relatively common to feel this way with bad depression/anxiety? It is horrible. I already wake up with pounding heart and dread at the day ahead (and last night could hardly sleep due to worrying about the future, my health, medication side effects and a conviction that I would never get better - not a good sate of mind but one I am finding impossible to get out of at the moment). 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My friend was on escitalopram (lexapro 20 mg) and felt calm and happy with no side effects.  I hope this works in the same way with you.  You WILL get better.  Take one day at a time since overwhelming thoughts hit us in a horrible physical way and you don't need that added stress.

Do get the bowel symptoms checked to rule out that worry.

• Posted

Depression is horrible but with a good AD and some therapy, you should be fine.  I know you might not believe it, but it is true.  Focus on things or people you enjoy or try to reach out to someone else who is suffering.  We are everywhere. 
    • Posted

Hello

One problem is my depression is so bad I don't enjoy anything. I am arrying around a feeling that something truly awful is going to happen to me and it is horrible and frigthening. A big part of that is my medication anxiety and also severe worries about my health and the fear that an anti depressant could send me really crazy or make me feel worse that I do now which I don;t thihnk I could stand. I have had some bad side effects initially with some and had to stop. I should have started treatment sooner but have been battling physical illnesses and was almost in denial.

C

• Posted

Hello...

Mate, First indicate  the issues why are facining anxiyti. Contact with psychiatrist. 

Please don't take drugs without  doctors permission. 

• Posted

Hello - I dont know why I am facing anxiety - it started after a course of antibiotics for an illness (as did the depresion but the anxiety was stronger). It has become constant over the months and it is horrible.,,

C

• Posted

Hi,

​I don't know about others, but worrying for me is a part of depression.  I worry a lot.  The physical symptoms, while I'm not a doctor, could very well be due to your depression problems.  Maybe a different medication would help?  I know what it feels to dread the day.  It's a HORRIBLE feeling.  You are in my toughts and prayers.  Write me any time, okay?

• Posted

Leah,  I have a friend who is a worrier.  She worries about anything and everything and it makes her anxious and depressed.  Worry accomplishes nothing and most things you worry about never happen.  Keep a journal of what you worry about every day and then go back in a week or month and see if any of the stuff you worried about really happened.  You are just borrowing trouble.  You and Caroline (and other worriers) probably picked up this trait from a parent or other significant older person when you were growing up.  If you have kids and they see you worried about everything, they will end up being a worried adult with depression.  Talk to your doc and a therapist.  There are good techniques out there to curb these worries and you coul get more control of your feelings of dread and have a more relaxed life.  We just get this one (I think...), please don't waste it on worrying about things that are never going to happen.  You can, however, worry yourself into sickness and nobody wants that.  Be gentle with yourself and get the help you need for you and those you love. 😎
    • Posted

Hello KMRC

I understand what you are saying logically but worry is not logical. My worry comes from fear and over the last 10 months I have experienced a lot of awful health problems one thing after another which precipitated the bad depression and severe anxiety - prior to this I was very healthy and not a worrier and had no mental health problems. I do have a very sensitive system so am terrified of anti depressants even though I know I need something - I have had very bad side effects on two I have tried and had to stop. The health issues have left some stomach issues which again anti depressants will make worse and most people say that in the start up phase on ad's they feel more anxious and/or depressed. As I feel so bad at the moment I could not cope with that but need to take something. I live alone and the fear and worry about what might happen to me cannot be controlled by writing it down. I was keeing a journal and all I can say is things have got worse for me so stuff I was worried about happened. I am trying CBT techniques and go for CBT but at the moment the worry and depression are so bad it is difficult for them to make a dent.

I don't know what to do about the absolute fear of medication and the worry about my health.

Are you on an antidepressant KMRC? If so did you have to try a few and how did you stay strong. I feel so vulnerable and weak - I feel as if my whole personality has changed. and that is another fear about medication - that it will change me in a negative way. I also worry that if I persist with an antidepressant through all the side effects only to find it does not help I will then have the discontinuation effects to cope with (or not cope with. When I was well and working I used to give adivce to those suffering from anxiety etc I realise now that when you are in the grip of something really strong it is so difficult / impossible to break. I really need help and don't know what to do. My GP cannot help as they have already prescribed medication and referred me for CBT etc.

• Posted

Hi Leah

What medication are you on and what worked best for you? If you are on medication how  did you taper up and did you get any side effects? Are you normally tolerant of medication??

Thanks

C

• Posted

Yes, I am on Paxil 40 mg.  I did try others to no effect (well, with bad effects) until my gp tried Paxil.  Within 2 weeks I was my old self.  I don't like taking meds but sometimes we must to get better so therapy can do its job.  Just because you had a bad reaction in the past doesn't necessarily mean you will have it again with a different drug.  CBT works but it also requires a lot of work from you and takes some time.  Keep at it tho, because you are worth it.  
    • Posted

KMRC,

​Thank you!  I am on meds and go to therapy.  It might be time for a med change.  thanks for writing me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.