Feeling really anxious after gallbladder removal...

Posted , 11 users are following.

Im currently on week 4 of recovery after having keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder after a very painful 9 months.  The pain has massively subsided, but im just feeling so crappy.  After eating, i either get a real sicky feeling, or i have to get to the toilet pretty sharpish.  I also feel so sad all the time!  i dont want to see anyone, other than members of my family, so have fobbed off a lot of visitors, and i just want to be on my own.  Ive been signed off work for another 2 weeks, and said i would maybe go in to the office for a few hours a day when i feel up to it.  I went in yesterday and left after 3 hours, and cried the whole way home. I dont even know why...! I just felt so sick, and for the first time since op, i did actually bring up a lot of bile.  Im not sure if i was just a bit overwhelmed at being out the house, around a lot of people, being asked how i was every five minutes so having to have the same conversation over and over.  I was just wondering if anyone else had felt like this, and how you got over it? Im trying to do a little bit more each day, but the thought of seeing people actually fills me with me dread..... ive never been this emotional in my life! 

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Oh Lovely,  I feel for you I really do.  It sounds to me like maybe you are depressed.  That can happen when you've been so poorly and away from reality as you have been for the best part of a year.  You've had an operation after being in pain for months and you are needing to be kind to yourself and easing yourself back into the real world.  The bile you brought on could definitely be as a result of being anxious.  Perhaps you need to see your Doctor.  It could also be that you are deficient in something after being poorly and having to eat in a certain way.  Certainly I ended up being anemic after my removal op.

Good luck to you.  I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Clareabell,

I feel for you. Going through anything that wipes you out and beats you down for so long, it can take a while to get over it once it is resolved. I went through it a bit when I had mine out. I battled with a balky gallbladder for 6 months before it was removed. I was so miserable by the time it was removed that the day after, I was still anxious and scared I would have the same symptoms. It takes a while for your body to reset, physically and mentally. And it can be tough when people are constantly asking how you are feeling since you had the surgery. I found a simple "I'm doing good. Thank you." Usually suffices for people.

Hope everything gets easier for ya.

• Posted

I feel so bad for you. That seems like a long recovery. I was told up to a week, and then you should be able to resume work and normal life.( I am now scared to go in a get GB surgery! :>( I think I wil stick with supplements, and castor oil packs for now )  Maybe you need to go in and make sure things are ok.  Maybe doctors can help you figure out why its taking you so long to bounce back.  Good Luck to You,,,
  • Posted

It is a 3 week recovery period from this operation and 6 weeks if you have the bigger op. They should have told you this.

Take your time.

Take care and keep in touch

Praying for you

Sarah

• Posted

How are you feeling now Clareabell?
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm getting there thank you. Still not quite firing on all cylinders, but I'm certainly better than I was. I've been back at work on reduced hours, which is helping lots with my anxiety and fear of being around people. Boss said I could work from home of I was more comfortable, but I need to get some normality and a routine back. I'm doing a bit more every day which may take time, but i don't want to rush myself for no reason. Doctor gave me some tablets to help with my heartburn and nausea and they seem to be doing the trick. I never thought it would take this long or be this hard to get back to normal, but as I was so ill pre operation I shouldn't have expected it to be overnight. But the main thing is I'm getting there, and as soon as I stopped putting pressure on myself, and worrying about what I felt I should be doing, and what other people thought, it seemed easier. Thanks for asking! X

• Posted

Ah, I'm really pleased to hear that.  Keep progressing as you are, a bit more each day and before you know it you'll be fully recovered. It sounds like you've got it sussed now.  You've allowed yourself to recognise that you were very poorly before the operation.  The operation is hard  too, then you have to recover from both of those.  Our own expectations can be high.  Then those folk who had an easy time seem surprised when you haven't and then the pressure just mounts.  Everyone is different and we each just need to get there in our own time.  You continue to get well.  Happy New Year to you.  All the very best.
  • Posted

It's been a year for me and it's getting worse everyday I just can't stand on my feet cause I feel like im gonna collaspe dizzy of balance and also vision and foogy headed I also get a irrated feeling in my tummy constantly.

• Posted

Hi I know this was over a year ago bit I'm currently on week 5 and my anxiety is high and I haven't returned back to work yet, I still have pain in side and have a scan on Friday. Tell me it gets better?? I'm really struggling sad

• Posted

Did you get better ! I'm having same symptoms very sad and sickly

• Posted

Your post is like a weight off my shoulders. I thought I was going crazy. I didn't think anyone else was feeling how I am. How are you now? And do you have an advice??

• Posted

Oh my gosh, I am as well so relieved to hear that other people feel similar...I had my gall bladder removed 3 weeks ago tomorrow and am feeling so sad and anxious despite a great physical recovery.

I am feeling really overwhelmed by the emotional intensity.Trying St John's Wort , which calms me down a bit at times but it is still massiv.

So good to hear I am not alone...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.