Feeling Really bad just started on Flu

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I have just started on Fluoxetine (again) as I am feeling really bad. I was on it a year ago for a few months and it made me feel better but this time I am feeling really anxious and doubting myself.

It is badly affecting my work and what people think about me at work and that is making the situation worse as I'm worried about losing my job.

I've only been on it for a week now and I know it takes a while to kick in but I don't remember feeling this bad last time. I'm unable to think clearly, to make decisions or just motivate myself. I feel like my life is totally out of my control.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi MattytheMad

I take Citalopram, similar to Fluoxetine, and came off it once and found when I restarted it I had worse side effects second time around.  It took a good 4 months before I started well again and I also doubted it would work etc.  It did of course.

If it has worked for you before, then it will work for you again.  Trust in it, however long it takes.  It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when were not feeling ourselves and are full of self doubt ... it's only natural.

Just keep on going, and remind yourself that even the doubts are part of the illness and you'll get there again.  It might get tough, but that's natural too, so however bad it gets just keep on persevering and you'll start turning a corner and begin to feel well again.

K x

• Posted

Hi MattytheMad,

I am taking flouxatine as well, and i feel the same way. I have been taking it for 3 months at 20 mg, yet I still feel the way that you do. I think it is depending on the dosage of the flouxatine that depends on how long it takes to kick in.

• Posted

If you do some research on the net you will find that this is a common problem, that going off and on and off and on sensitizes the system to the drug to where you can no longer tolerate it.  I would not risk continuing to take it longer because if you find you are months out still having it affect you so horribly, you are now stuck with the dicey problem of getting off of it.  Withdrawal from these meds is no trivial deal and can cause even more suffering than you are experiencing now.

At only one week on, you have a good chance of quitting and getting off with minimum harm.  Tell your doctor you are not tolerating it.  It is ridiculous that when people have such bad side effects the doctor's response is to increase the dose!  Psych drugs seem to be the only ones where we are told to push through suffering in the hopes that the drug will finally have an effect; we wouldn't do that with any other med!  

Have you ever tried supplements to help you with depression or anxiety?  Do not take any of these while still on fluoxetine - it could cause serotonin syndrome!  5-htp and L-tryptophan are OTC supplements that can raise serotonin levels in the brain.  There is a book called The Mood Cure that goes very thoroughly over your symptoms and which supplements can be used to address them  Very worth the investment.

I hope you find relief soon!

• Posted

May I just add that restarting these meds might be better done much slower and at a lower dose to ease yourself on them again.  If you need to take these meds again then that's what they're there for.  

Anyone starting these meds will get some side effects, and this will continue for some weeks.  You need to be on these a good 3-4 months before you start feeling any benefit, and as said if they've worked for you before they will work again.  It's not an intolerance, it's normal reaction to these meds, and the side effects are very harsh for anyone.  These are not meds to mess about with.

These meds are here for a purpose, and if you need them then it's worth persevering with them especially if you know they help.

5-HTP and l-tyrosine are indeed over the counter medicines and I took these for a year with great results and no side effects.  L-tyrosine is needed along with the 5-HTP as it boosts it - without it 5-HTP can lose some of it's effect.  As Betsy said, you must not take these when you're taking an SSRI.  5-HTP is a natural serotonin.

Another recommended book is 5-HTP The Natural Way to Overcome Depression, Obesity by Michael T Murray.

• Posted

Hi mattythemad

iam on day 12 of fluexatine and feel crap I too have been on them before but dont remember feeling so bad ...think av had every side effect going x

• Posted

Hi dubbie,

Yea I am all over the place at the moment, sometimes feel like the world is right again and the next moment the whole world has it in for me.

I'm on day 12 too! Really having a not so good day today and just want to feel my normal self.

• Posted

Hi All, I just wanted to come on and say that I had a good day today. Work was stressful and all and I did not feel like I was swamped.

Crossing my fingers that this continues as I am only on day 14.

• Posted

That's great!  You might find you're up and down for a while but the general trend will be working upwards.  

Hope it continues for you :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.