Feeling really low tapering off mirtazapine

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've been on mirtazipine for 10 months and I'm trying to taper off it the past few months, the highest I've ever been on is 15mg, I'm now down to 3.5 mg for the past 8 days, I've been fine on 7.5mg, put the past 4 days I'm feeling really low, I feel like I could burst into tears but I can't and I'm more anxious then usual. I feel like im stuck in my own mind with thoughts all the time...I hate feeling like this haven't felt so low before! 😣 should I up my dose of mirtazapine I want to stop them because it makes me want to eat all the contents of my fridge! I'm on citalopram but only 10mg, been on it for 7 years which I'm gonna try and got off as soon as I get rid of the horrible mirtazapine, I wish I never started it! I could just curl up into a ball and die that's how bad I feel, I would never think of suicide no matter how bad I was!!! I'm just so glum 😔

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hang in there, you could either go back up or give it a few days on this dose and see if it evens out for you. I felt terrible on 7.5, very sedated and almost went back up again but dropped down a dose instead and felt much better. I guess everybody reacts to different doses differently. I'm now 15 days completely off mirtazapine and doing ok. Hope you feel better soon. I still have rough days or sometimes just half a day but then pick up again. Overall coming off mirtazapine has not been nearly as bad as I expected. 

• Posted

Hello Pamela...

Sorry for your horrible symptoms I can totally relate been there for almost 4 months now...,

If you are sure you want to come off, keep doing your tapper, honestly if you try to go back up just for comfort you will literally have a set back, go as low as possible and then come off, I've didn't tapper went cold turkey by accident and it was a huge mistake, we can't tell for sure how is best since we are all different but I came to the conclusion that the longer you tapper the longer this pill lingers in your body which confuses your nerves... I've been off for almost 4 months and it hasn't been easy for is for sure not impossible to come off, I'm here to give you some advice if you need me to, I'm honestly willing to share anything that can help others, please keep in touch I check my email regularly, good luck honey??

• Posted

hi pamela . just trying to give you a bit of support if you have been tapering off and you now feel low but you felt ok before i would put the dose back to were it was and look for positivity on it . but your a good judge on how your feeling . but with the mirt it's a good idea to exercise slowly and build it up. if you can .there's another way citropram upped instead of mirt but you should talk to your doctor about that but you do not want to feel that low in yourself. i wish you well and hope you get better soon .

• Posted

Hi.I have just gone thro a really bad patch.I am tapering also and my bad days lasted longer than usual. I had 9 days of feeling,awful,anxiety thro the roof, small things seem impossible to do.So my advice is to hang on at current dose.I nearly upper my dosage but didn't and am pleased I stayed the course.Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for your replies 😊😊😊 I'm gonna hang in there!

• Posted

Pamela

You could try and get through this set back or go back to the 7.5mg dose which you were fine on. When I was tapering I ran into the same problem and felt I could not cope so I went back to 7.5mg, stabilised and then tapered much more slowly. I really couldn't cope with a quick withdrawal - others seem to be able to.  I found it easy to go from 15 down to 7.5mg but dropping from 7.5mg was much harder for me hence I tapered slowly. Believe me I know how low you must be feeling (i've been there) but let me reassure you that you will get better - it just takes time. 

• Posted

Hi Pamela.I am giving you a holler of support!! i am actualy going the opposite way of you.I started on Mirt about 6 1/2 months ago at 15mg going up to 30mg(15am,15pm) about 4 1/2 months ago.o at the same time Iwas put on Gabapetin 200mg up to 600mg,along with 50mg Tramadol twice a day for IBS/anxiety/depression along with back pain from IBS colon spasms.At the same time I was being weaned off of Paxil 20mg twice a day for almost 20 years.I can tell the last 8 months haven't been fun.It's hard to say which way to go.Idon't really have good days/bad days,it's more like parts of the day are good,parts are bad.But the one thing I can say is be strong and take one day at a time.I know it's cliche but it's true.For me a strong relationship with God and Jesus has helped me.I had  moved away from Them prior to the last 8 months,so if there is a positive in this it has me refocused my life.I still have a ways to go all the way around,but I trust that God has a plan for this.I know another cliche,but I believe it.I'll be praying for you and you stay strong!!! God Bless You,Bob

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.