Feeling Regrets Post Op 8 Weeks TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am becoming regretful that I had my TKR on my left leg 8 weeks ago. After 2 sessions of PT a wk after my TKR the PT dr. stopped my session due to a place in my incision still leaking.  I was ordered by my surgeon to discontinue my PT & stay off it except to go to bathroom for a few days. After a visit to my surgeon, he discovered a hidden stitch which he removed & the leaking completely stopped.  After a few more days I was able to return to PT.  I feel that during those 12 days off PT I had scar tissue forming.  I go to PT 3 times per wk now but after 6 wks of PT I'm only reaching 107 degree bend & my knee & ankle continues to stay swollen nearly double the size of my other leg.  I continue to ice & put arnica on but doesn't seem to be helping & I'm feeling like something is definitely going on in my knee.  Has anyone else had the extreme swelling after 8 wks post-op?  Thanks!window.post_1490112644710_12 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}window.post_1490112650571_41 = function(win,msg){

win.postMessage(msg,"*"wink;

}

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am 9 1/2 weeks post TKR left knee. It sounds like you are overdoing the PT which could account for the swelling. I see the PT once a fortnight and do the physio at home myself. After I see the PT I feel it puts me back at least four days as the knee is swollen and stiff. She puts me through the mill forcing it to move which I don't think helps at all. I am approx 99 to 100 degrees bend at the moment and will continue to carry on with the PT myself to continue to make progress steadily. 

• Posted

Be encouraged I'm post eight weeks. I think 107 is pretty good considering  the break uve had. I'm a 110 and my physio is thrilled and I've had no break. The swelling I would have thought is due to the fact you have been pretty pro active.  All I keep hearing from professional and advice on here is we r very early days, take heart!! Xx

• Posted

Hi I'm 7 weeks 2 days post TKR.

initially I was going to the physiotherapist every two weeks but after my last visit he said to wait 3 weeks. My next session is next week and if I can do full rotation on the bike I won't be having any more.

Between these sessions he told me to do my exercises four times daily. My ROM is about 105/110 which I would very much like to increase but it will take time.

I think you may be doing too much hence the swelling. I have more swelling when I've done too much walking or standing but haven't had any swelling down my leg since I came out of hospital 3 days post op.

After my staples were removed my wound came slightly open over the top of my knee so I had butterfly stitches for 5 days which then healed ok.

I still have swelling on my knee, but not too much unless I've been on it for too long but never down my leg or into my foot.

I think maybe you're doing too much?!

• Posted

Sorry iPad is playing up lol ... looks like I've been repeating myself but wouldn't let me delete stuff

• Posted

Hi there

Don't stress too much! Losing days of not exercising is not too big deal. You are in this for the long haul! Healing & rom comes also with time & patience.

Don't overdo your exercises as that can be counter productive, if you're getting big time swelling you're overdoing it. Ramp it back a tad! Have a short break, maybe a day off, then go to it sensibly.

This recovery is not a race, not to be done as quick as possible. It is to be done properly with care & consideration for your own well being. The general swelling could last anything up to a year, & as Chico says, recovery, 12 to 18 months.

Be more tortoise less hare!

You will get there eventually, but don't give yourself a bad time for not getting there quicker. Many on here have not be able to complete their rehab exercises in the early days, for whatever reasons & gone on to recovery, so please don't think you are failing, as you are doing a sterling job in bad circumstances.

Relax a little, this is a long road. You'll get to the end of it at 40 mph just as easily as 100 mph, with a lit less stress on your mind & body.

If you think you have scar tissue forming, be proactive. Massage your incision scar with BioOil or E45 or vitE (as long as it is scabbed over, not on open wounds), give it a good old going over. You want to break up that scar tissue underneath, your Physio should be able to show you how. I still massage my scar at 5.5 months.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to make all your comments.  I do stay on my leg too much & I'm going to plan next week to do my PT only twice a week instead of three.  I will also try to stay off my leg more & start the messaging with the oils you mentioned.  Everyone's comments have been very helpful & appreciated.  I hope everyone has good outcomes from their TKR & continue sharing what's going on with them.  It really helps to not feel like we're alone in this venture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.