Feeling relieved

Posted , 9 users are following.

Just 2 weeks after complete left hip replacement finding this website has made me realize I am not alone. Frustrated at slowness and tiredness I am spending half the day in bed as it is the only place I can get comfortable first trip out tomorrow to have dressing changed and then physio next week. Thank you for all the information

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anna

That's okay.. spend it in bed. Your body needs the rest and you're keeping it elevated. Keep icing as well. Even when I started going to PT I  would come back home and rest. You will feel better soon....slow and steady! 

• Posted

I am 3 weeks away from my first op I am under no illusions that it will be easy and quick to recover even though I am having the superpath approach but it will be hopefully healing pain and discomfort to get rid of the pain and disability my hips are giving me now I think it will be worth it it is major surgery and takes time for your body to heal give yourself a chance don't try and rush the healing everyone seems to get there eventually all the best

• Posted

Good luck! I’m 3 days away you are 3 weeks away let’s hope we both get very positive results although to be honest I haven’t heard of the approach you are having. Whereabouts in UK are you?
    • Posted

SArah  it’s done in USA a lot now. Smaller incision and they dont cut through the soft tissue. Now some surgeons  in uk are using it. Quicker recover and not so invasive so healing quicker. Wish that was on offer for me a couple of years ago. My pain from all the muscle cutting was very painful. However never regret it.  Google it. Xx
    • Posted

Hi auntiebean has said exactly what I would have re superpath I need to get back to work asap and am hoping that if this procedure does what it says on the tin I should be able to get back a few weeks earlier BUT you can never say could be complications etc also as with all other advice healing needs time but it is worth a try. The procedure is supposed to give improved long term stability and I would like to return to skiing so may help. Wishing you all the best for your upcoming  treatment everyone says it is well worth it to get rid of this awful bone pain sure it will go well. I am in the West Midlands and planning to go to Nuffield Leamington Spa with Mr Cronin dong the op.

All the best Martin 

• Posted

Hi Anna

One of the hardest lessons that must be learnt is that you must be a patient patient.  You have just had major surgery and it will take time for your body to heal properly.  You will be able to function at nearly normal levels  after about 6 weeks or so - remember the timing is different for everyone, but you should allow at least 12 months for full recovery.

The other important lesson, is to accept help gracefully - and not to criticise the helper if they don't do it the same way that you do.

Remember, it does get better and good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi Anna. You certainly are not alone. I’m 10 days post anterior and I’m still in bed half the time. This THR is different from the first a year ago. My first was a lot easier. 

Just got out in the car with my hubby for the first time for about 45 mins. And when I got home whew I was ready to lay down. My leg thigh wasn’t comfortable either. This is a very traumatic surgery and we all heal differently. 

Be patient and good to yourself. 

Rest, lots of ice and gentle stretching of the back of my leg have helped. 

Have a quick recovery 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.