Feeling sick and suffering reflux

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Went to my GP on Monday as the constant nausea and reflux are now getting out of hand, he put me on diclifenic to help manage the pain that my gallbladder is causing me and I have to say so far that seems to be working, im generally in discomfort but definetley manageable, he also prescriped domperidone three times a day for the nausea and reflux ( im already taking 40mg omperazole daily ) I started the domperidone on Tuesday morning and felt great Tuesday and most of Wednesday, the reflux sick kicked back in weds night and has not stopped since! And I have been nauseus again since the early hours of Wednesday morning. Currently I have had to come home from work to get changed ( im a sales rep so spend a lot of time driving ) as I had yet another reflux episode in the car and was unable to pull over to spit the bile out of my mouth which has resulted in my coat and trousers being covered. Has anybody please got any tips to manage this as my op won't be until late May early June at the earliest and I really can not continue like this for much longer

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi, sorry you are suffering, this Gb thing is terrible! Not sure I can help other than sympathy as I have found you reach a point when little helps. It is a few weeks before my op so it is a case of getting through the day somehow. I'd guess it you have only started on the meds, maybe still adjusting to them. I don't get on with Omeprazole , it works for a couple of days maybe then stops. There are other PPI meds in the family of drug, so you could always ask to try another one to see if better tolerated. The other meds may also side effects - check on the details in the pack, some settle down, or you may need to change them either.

Avoid as much fat in food as you can, stick to bland and I find little and often best, do not go too long without something as that can set off nausea. Hope things improve for you xx

• Posted

sorry your sounding so ill. as said this is a terrible condition, i know that NSAIDS can cause upset stomach and heartburn and thats what diclofenac is. you could call your pharmacist or gp to find out. i have naproxen for another condition i have but cant take them because of what they do to my stomach and they are to be taken with food or after food. they are similiar to diclofenac. i dont get on well with omprazole either as it gives me nasal drip. and i notice when i dont take them then i dont get that. i only take them if i get really bad heartburn. i wish you well and im sure someone will be along soon with the similar experience to yours as there are so many of us with this condition and with different symptoms and changing symptoms. i wish you all the best dear. it must have been horribe for you to be sick in your car. i feel for you. ❤️
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply cheeky, I hadn't considered that the diclifenic may now be contributing to the nausea, I may try 24 hours without them and see if things improve x
  • Posted

Hi, E11eth,  

I had some success with taking calcium pills with each meal.  It has to be calcium carbonate before my surgery.  Two pills.  This substance will bind the bile as well.  I also take ranitidine 150 mg at night, along with 20 mg omperazole in the morning. You are having a terrible time of it!  Good luck!

• Posted

Hi lynda

Can I just buy calcium carbonate from the chemist?

• Posted

I hope so.  I'm in the U.S., so calcium supplements are available over the counter, where you buy vitamins at drug stores and food stores.  You can look on the back of the bottle, for the ingredients to make sure it's calcium carbonate.  The chemist might know which supplements contain calcium carbonate.  The chemist might try to talk you into a supplement that contains magnesium, thinking that you don't want to be constipated.  But, in this case, that's exactly what you want!  confused  Please let me know how you get on!  
    • Posted

It's interesting you talk about calcium supplements because the medication that suppresses stomach acid (I take lansoprazole) can affect calcium.  It's that whole thing isn't it of you need one pill for one job and another to counteract those side effects!
    • Posted

Yes, it's that merry-go-round, but not so merry! The difficulty is trying to counteract the effects of the medication/advice you're given by MD's with advice from nutritionists, etc.  For instance, a friend of mine was using flax seed to combat cholesterol, but it upset her system so terrifically she couldn't leave the house! They seem to either throw up their hands, or start plying you with pills...
    • Posted

...or tell you it's IBS.  It's no joke is it.  It really is a question of doing what you feel comfortable with isn't it.  And being patient.  Us ladies aren't known for the patient aspect though eh!
    • Posted

confused It's one of those terms that's a classification and an instruction.  Patients ought to be patient while the doctor is practicing!  I remember an old joke, "How can you tell the difference between a doctor and God?  God doesn't think he's a doctor!"  confused 
  • Posted

Maybe try another PPI. I am on Nexium 10mg powder packet, delayed release. This has helped me, when the pill form hasn't. Also, if the heartburn, or GERD, is too bad, I pop a couple of TUMS or Gaviscon, in between times. For nausea, I was given Ondansetron, generic Zofran. I had debilitating nausea from December-March, and it's just starting to let up somewhat. My gallbladder surgery was March 2nd. Still having to take Nexium though, and have a GI doctor appointment in April. Don't know if all my symptoms were from my gb, but it would be wonderful to have my normal, unsick life back! Hope you find some relief! 
    • Posted

Hi, Debbie,  I hope things improve for you, as well.  It's not easy, being so sick, then thinking that surgery will fix you, only to find out that afterwards there are challenges, too.  Please let us know how you get on!
    • Posted

i hope you get some quality of life back debbie. thinking of you. 💐
    • Posted

Thank you Lynda. Thanks god for all you people, because doctors don't get it, and friends and family don't understand. I just want to know if this is all menopause, or I have something else. Gyno stated yesterday that my nausea wasn't menopause, which is hard for me to believe, since I have read so many women stating they are peri/menopausal, and have nausea. Doctors are not the end all, be all, they are just "practicing " medicine, so they don't know everything. 
    • Posted

Thank you Cheeky! Very nice of you. I am certainly feeling about 30-40% better than in January and February, but hoping to get to the full 100%! Don't we all? I will keep going, one day at a time, and pray for total healing 😊
    • Posted

You're right, they call it "practicing" for a reason.  I do hope you're feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.