Feeling sick in the mornings and can't shift any weight ??

Posted , 4 users are following.

had gallbladder out in February.

ive always struggled to loose weight but now it's impossible !!!???

also I feel very sick in the mornings and retch but am never sick ?? 

Could this his all be related to gallbladder removal ?? 

any any ideas how I can overcome this please xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The only thing I can suggest is to go to your gp, it could be bile salts causing this problem and he/she will know what's best. You could find that that is why you are struggling to loose weight as well.

Good luck and keep me posted please.

• Posted

Hi voodoo lizard,

I had my gallbladder out in December. I also have had the nausea primarily in the mornings too with dry wretching and I vomited also every morning for 13 weeks. This is a side effect of the operation. Try sleeping on 2 pillows and try to raise the head of your bed. I tried all the anti sickness tablets and was in and out of hospital and nothing really worked. I know a number of people who have had this too and unfortunately it will take time to go away. It will gradually fade away. Thankfully I haven't vomited in 4 weeks and haven't dry wretched in a week. I recently started acupuncture and it's really helping too. The nausea is beginning to go and my appetite is beginning to return. It's been a nightmare and I still don't feel right at all. You could try anti sickness tablets and see do they help but I tried everything and nothing really helped. My gp has had a number of patients that this has happened to and she said it slowly goes away. Also as you no longer have the gallbladder to break down the fatty foods it is harder to loose weight. X

• Posted

Hi acejohnston you are so good at all this information, did you get told this by doctors/ nurses  or did you have to struggle to find it out ? I didn't get told anything and what I look up mostly leads to confusion but on this site I get really helpful info. Thank you for this. 

Now do you think the dull ache I have where gallbladder was is because I've eaten the wrong things? I've not had real fatty things but I have had along with my healthy

foods things like biscuits a few sweets and did have a jam donut which I just couldn't resist. If I know the ache is this bad I should be good I know that but it's oh so hard isn't it. 

My wounds gave healed and still a bit sore , struggle to get comfy still in bed can lay on my left side ok. It's almost three weeks since my op , it's just this pain where GB was had it for two days now. 

Thank you xxx 💐

• Posted

Hi Gillypoo found a lot of it out myself by talking to a lot of people who've have had the operation. For most it takes time to recover and it's not overnight. My gp has had a lot of patients who've had the gallbladder removed and she has seen all sorts of side effects. She keeps telling me it's Still early days and I'll be 5 months post op on Saturday! Most recover within the 12 weeks but there are some like me unfortunately that it takes a bit longer. That pain your having is normal and should ease soon. Has your diarrhea eased off? The main long term symptom that people have is diarrhea after eating fatty foods but if you've not had that after the jam doughnut your one of the lucky ones. I know a lot of people who've had the op that have to run to the loo after spicey or fatty foods or if they drink alcohol. Delighted to hear you feeling better. Xx
    • Posted

Sorry ! Meant to tell you no diarrhoea now. I do go different now, looser and some days I can't go at all but I've always been that way really, I do suffer with wind now tho!!!  spicey food is ok with me too. I've read that too much food  overloads the body and the liver now has to work harder to send out that  bile so can this cause the ache ? 

Im sorry your having a bad time , I must be lucky , no sickness at all feel good , just this ache getting me down but honestly I should feel grateful when I read some of the posts. Im back to work at end of this month which in all will have been 6 weeks off as I do lifting at work. Xx

• Posted

Hi Gillypoo that's great news the diarrhea has stopped. Have you tried the caltrate calcium 600d? A lot of people with ibs take them to regulate the bowel and stop the loose stools. You can get them at any pharmacy. You start by taking half a tablet 3 times a day with food and after 6-7 days if there's no Improvement you can take 1 tablet 3 times a day with food. You may only need the half a tablet 3 times a day. You are still in an adjustment period and it will take time for your body to adjust and for your liver to adjust too. Rather than eat a big meal they recommend eating little and often after gallbladder removal. You will feel full quicker at this stage too. Too much food will put stress on your liver to produce bile as you said and that could be the cause of your pain. But your body will adapt. Your only 3 weeks post op so I think another 6-9 weeks and you should be right as rain. Just go easy on the fatty food until your fully recovered. Take care xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.