Feeling so ill and sick of my GP practice.

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all, Convinced i have gallbladder problems doctor wont listen!!!

Just joined today and looking for help please.I've not felt well since October infact i've felt very unwell my symptoms started after being out all day on my motorbike, that night when going to bed i put my head on the pillow and got a horible cramping feeling in my neck and thought i'd strained something riding my motorbike. A couple of days later i woke up with a terrible burning pain in my upper back which i left for a couple of weeks before going to my gp, i decided to go as i still had this pain and was feeling very off. My gp ran loads of blood tests and everything was normal apart from my liver lft's were 55 normal range up to 50. He wasn't to worried though as it was 55 five years previously and i'm a little overweight. After another couple of weeks everything went away.

I then started with a continuos pain in my right side in January that has never gone away. In March one evening while watching telly i got a horrible burning sensation just slightly above and to the right of my belly button for about 10mins. A couple of nights later i got a severe pain in my chest and a couple of days after that i woke up with a severe burning that went right across my upper back. Ever since then my upper back pain has been continuous particulary in my left shoulder blade it's that bad it's like someone pushing their thumb into my back. Since March i've also felt nauseous and lightheaded. I feel particulary nauseous after a bowel movement and break out in a cold sweat. I'm also getting a ballooning feeling in my right side, and constant gurling in throat.

So symptoms

Pain in right side continuos since January.

Upper back pain continuos since March.

Nausea continuos since March.

Nausea and cold seats after bowel movement continuos since March.

Lightheadedness continuos since March.

Gurgling in throat continuos since March.

I've been to my gp probably 10 times since March and said i'm really feeling very unwell and had to ask for every single test i've had so far and suggested everything to him when he's the doctor. I asked for an ultrasound right from the off in March and didn't get referred for six weeks. No blood tests offered until i asked. Gvien Omeprazole and Cyclizine.I asked to try an IBS med but made no difference.

Test results from ultrasound of gallbladder, bile ducts, pancreas and kidneys normal and all blood tests normal.

I went back to my gp Monday and even had to ask for referral to the hospital because i know ultrasounds are not 100% reliable and my gp said i will referr for you pice of mind but i dont think it's your gallbladder, oh yeah well what is it then doc. I even asked for a chest x ray and at my local hospital you can get that immediately if you go with a form from your gp but no he's done a refferal for that.

Things i've done is only eaten tuna in spring water, healthy living soups, veg, salad, and fat free yoghurts since March and it's made absolutely no difference to my symptoms. I've lost 3 1/2 stone in these 3 months.

Sorry for the massively long post but i've never felt so ill and i'm worried,scared and frustrated.

1 like, 216 replies

216 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! You should ask for a HIDA scan( it will tell the % that your Gallbladder is functioning ) my abdominal ultrasound was also clear ( no stones) but the HIDA scan was abnormal , good luck to you! I really hope you can find what is wrong with you👍🙏

• Posted

Thanks hopefully i will have one offered. Did you have your gallbladder removed? What was your %
  • Posted

Try to get a referral to a gastroenterologist...I think you might be wasting your time with the gp. Gallstones don't always show up on ultrasounds.  Best of luck to you.  

• Posted

Hi Thanks for replying, i'm guessing my gp referring me to the hospital will be to see a gastroenterologist. My concern is the waiting times and then more waiting times for tests the gastroenterologist might request. Everything i've read states ultrasounds aren't 100% definitive but the sonographer and my gp were adamant everything was totally clear including sludge.

• Posted

No matter what they told you, ultrasounds don't pick up sludge.  I was told I had a few inconsequential gallstones, but when my gallbladder was removed, it was filled with small stones and sludge. 

I understand that you're worried about time, etc.  but you do need to find out exactly what's going on...

• Posted

Hi, iI agree i told my gp an ultrasound is 100% accurate. Luckily this is all going on whilst i'm taking a break from work as i couldn't work whilst feeling this ill. I'm so frustrated with my doctors lack of urgency as i've had the side pain since January and all the other symptoms since March all none stop.

• Posted

I completely understand.  I was ill for over a year, not too much pain, but diarrhea and nausea.  I lost 30 pounds.  I had my gallbladder removed in 2009.  I had to exaggerate my pain to get it removed. Unfortunately, I have bile salt malabsorption, which wasn't cured by removing my gallbladder. But, I'm on medication for that.

Your doctor's lack of urgency reveals to me a lack of medical knowledge and empathy. Your gallbladder's not going to get better. And, as it worsens, it impacts your other organs, liver, pancreas, intestines.  However, while you're waiting try to eat low fat, frequent small meals, if you can.     

• Posted

Sorry to read about your bile problems.

This is the thing since March i've not had a meal with anymore than 3% fat and still have these nagging constant pains and symptoms. I'm just eating one meal a day so i'm going nearly 24hrs without food and the pain never changes.

I'm not one to complain but when i get a to the bottom of it i will be changing my doctors practice and complaing to the authorities.

I was saying to my partner lastnight that in all the times i've been to the doctors since March not once have they taken my blood pressure, oxygen levels, temperature, listened to my chest all the basic stuff. They've not even asked for a urine or stool sample which surely is pretty basic stuff for someone with stomach pains and other issues.

My brother had stomach pains 3 1/2 years ago went to his doctor in November all the tests done straight away confirmed gallbladder and gallbladder gone by January.

Now i'm not worried about cancer but with the lack of urgency when i'm complaining of feeling very unwell how do they know and in over three months of this i'm still in the dark.

• Posted

From what you describe it does appear that the practice is negligent. Is there any way you can go to another practice?
    • Posted

Hi, Yes i will be changing gp practices to my partner and little boys one as soon as possible. I will stay put at the mo as my gp has refferd me to the hospital.
    • Posted

I hope that you get some help soon!  Please do let us know how you get on!
    • Posted

Will do. I've just got to hold out for my hospital appointment but its going to drag out for months. Rrrrrr

• Posted

It doesn't sound like any of the symptoms I had. My attacks were sporadic so I'd go a couple of weeks without one then have two in the space of a week. No continuous pain or nausea like you have. Maybe a stomach or duodenal ulcer? I can't identify with neck pain at all and the back pain was a horrible aching feeling. I also felt like my stomach would burst during attacks.

I ate a low fat diet which helped and I'm on 40mg Omeprazole following surgery. BRATs diet may help: bananas, rice, apple sauce, tea and toast. This is used in some hospitals but obviously is not for long term use.

Sorry I can't be more help. Ask GP for second opinion??

• Posted

Hi Thanks for the reply. My gp put me on omeprazole in March and they have done nothing. He did maybe suspect an ulcer as i herniated a lumbar disc and had been taking prescription antinflams for it.

My doctor last Monday eventually said would you like a referral to the hospital, i had to really bite my tongue as he should be telling not asking. He also went on to say i don't think it's your gallbladder but i will refer you for your piece of my mind. I really felt like saying so you think i'm making it all up!

• Posted

Another thing if anybody could help is the more i do the pain gets worse, sitting makes it worse and i get a little relief if i stand or lay on my left side totally stretched out.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.