Feeling suicidal, is there any point to life?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Whats the point in living? When you know youre going to be like you are for ever, when medication does not help, only makes you even duller and dumber so you cant actually question your existence because your brain is frozen, when you see every day as the same as the last, when you predict what will happen tomorrow, when you think of your future, imagine yourself getting a degree,  married, getting old, buying house, dying... youve lived it all in your head, why do you have to live it out in the real world? Ive lived life, Ive married my favourite woman in my mind, had children, done everything, I know how everything will pan out, if not exactly then at least generally... so whats the point in going on? If you can tell me, without waffle, without questions, just one sentence or two, and only if you know the answer to this unsolveable dilemma.

1 like, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You do know that is depression talking don't you?  I have had depression for 30 years, am old now.  After battling depression for all those years, I think there is a point to living.  But that is me, not you.  Well I could waffle on, but I don't think you want to hear what we say.  You have made your mind up, and I think that is very sad. 

I personally think there is a point to living.  Even with depression it is worth living.  One sentence or two?  Well I have had my say.  No I don't know the answer to this dilemma.  Sorry.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I actually don't mind a bit of waffle from people who have been through it.. I just said that at the end because I prefer people to get to the point, like they might say lots of airy fairy things but actually have no idea what purpose life holds. Does it really come down to faith in a God? Because if there is no God, nothing happens for a 'reason', we're just random entities that look different and have different health, different weaknesses, strengths, but at the core we're just a speck off the object of humanity, our brains a computer, a rational and logical thinking being and nothing more.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In my darkest hours, when contemplating suicide and asking unanswerable questions, it came to me that I was no more than a minute spark in the scheme of things.  I was of such little consequence that I was stupid to assume that I was put here for any reason at all......let alone to make sense of anything.  It was a turning point for me because it turned my thoughts away from myself and my disappointments with life.  I was no more or less  important than an ant in a colony.

It led me to try to find a way to make my time here somehow of value.  I don't think I ever have done that, but I get great comfort from helping animals who are suffering and humans who need me for some small reason.

I still ask those questions which make your brain hurt....you know...the ones like where does the universe end !!!  But life is easier than it was  in my teens and twenties.

Sorry I didn't keep to one or two sentences, but you touched my heart.

Pat.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

What bothers me is that you say you are going to feel like this forever.  I don't think you will.  Don't contemplate the purpose of life, why we are here, for what purpose.  We are here, so let us live our life as best we can.  It is not easy.  I know because I have had depression for 30 years, but it has not always been awful.  There are good periods too. 

You are right, but oh why are you so deep in your thinking?  Just live.  Don't work out the purpose of life.  You sound young, and I am old, but in all these years I just accept I am here.  Does anybody really know what purpose life holds?  Of course not.  Why worry about the unanswerable question???

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi I believe that there is no purpose in life and that we have to find our own.   Some turn to religion others find it in the bottom of a glass and most just accept that this is the way it is.  After all if we don't want life what else is there?   It's not like we are given a choice of options is it?  

In my 20/30's I faced a choice.  I decided there was no point going on with life if I was just making myself miserable.  I had to end my life or learn to  accept what it was and just get on with it making my own choices and getting to know and accept myself better.    I chose the latter and most of the time I am glad I did. 

The question that really gets me is - what happens when you know yourself too well and wish you didn't?   You can't go back to 'not knowing' can you?   

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up