Feeling unwell whenever I leave the house

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am due to fly out to America this weekend for a 3 month trip. I have been waiting for this for just under 2 years now so of course I have been excited. The past couple of weeks I have noticed that I have been feeling really unwell whenever I leave the house. I have been feeling really nervous, sick and just generally unwell. This is really strange for me because I am usually my normal 100% normal self.

I don't feel nervous about my trip to America, but I feel really nervous whenever I leave the house. Now I am beginning to worry that I will be unwell while I am out there and the trip that is supposed to be amazing - will not be so great.

I have purchased some over the counter meds (Kalms) to try and see if they help.

Does anyone have any advice on anything else I could try?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like you are having anticipatory anxiety. Are you able to get ahold of any benzos like xanax or klonopin? In the meantime, try some relaxation exercises and do some reading.

I've also been doing some reading about an herbal supplment that helps with anxiety - l theanine. Might look into that, too. 

Good luck. I know how it goes. I've had anxiety for years and won't fly because of it. 

• Posted

Thank you for the advice, I will look into it! Its super strange because I can be 100% relaxed at home (basically my normal self) but within an hour of leaving the house I'm like a nervous wreck.
    • Posted

That sounds like regular ol' anxiety to me. I'd get you some meds before the flight. And test them out before you get on the plane to see how you'll react to them. 
  • Posted

It does sound like enticipatory anxiety as the last person said.  Its a big thing to be flying a fairly long distance.  Maybe your doctor would give you something to help keep you calm, and it would be sensible to discuss it with him/her. One thing to remember is that flying is safer than other forms of transport and the length of time in the air is probably less than a long holiday drive in the UK!
    • Posted

Thank you! I will try and get an appointment before I go & see if he can give me something to settle the nerves. I'll make it through this flight one way or another!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.