Feeling very fed up

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 56 and 7 weeks post right TKR and am feeling so down in the dumps. Normally an up beat person , I am finding this difficult to overcome. Just had a week in the sun (living in UK, this alone should have cheered me) too with fabulous friends, but I just couldn't be bothered to join in. Any one else felt/feels like this. Mobility is improving and off the meds apart from paracetamol so really should be quite happy I'd have thought. Regards. Sue

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

This is still really early days. You have had a major operation and it can affect you afterwards in so many ways.

Try not to worry. We all get down in the dumps sometimes so don't feel guilty about it.

Hopefully this is just a phase and you will come through it and return to the normal up beat Sue again.

Give yourself time and a few little treats.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Thank you Sarah. I know it is probably a phase but just seems a long episode. Thanks for reply. Sue
  • Posted

Chin up Sue , going back to the UK after somewhere sunny is depressing enough, without the TKR recovery.

For most you are over half way  on your TKR journey. My op was July 2017, also in the UK ((Swindon) it was 12 weeks for me before things became more normal.

Hot baths ( which I still find help) and continuously icing, when not in the bath helped (Aircast knee wrap and ice bucket)

Be positive a few sensible drinks can help, but I know just sitting is not comfortable for long.

You are approaching the finishing line with hopefully the worse behind you.

Good healing

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Clive, will try to be more positive. Do find this forum greatly encouraging. Sue
  • Posted

Hi. My husband is a couple of weeks ahead of you. He still gets down days. Tired days and then up days. I've had a hip done 16 months ago. Heck, I still get tired some days and just need a rest. It's a big op you are recovering from. You are doing great by the sounds of things. Try get plenty of rest to keep on top of the depression. If nothing helps there is nothing wrong with chatting to yr Dr. 

keep up the good work. 👍

• Posted

Thanks Denise. Think I probably don't rest enough ! Will keep more positive. Sue

• Posted

I had a lot of low mood around the six week to ten week stage. Then as my freedom increased and I felt less tired it became less frequent. It should improve but it is a long haul. I hope you feel better soon. Hold onto the thought that with this surgery even a few weeks can make a world of difference. It takes time to come to terms with it.

Bear in mind that post operatively, even though doing all the prescribed exercises is a must, a person is rendered immobile and physically limited, especially in terms of whole body exhaustion and the physical response to the trauma of surgery. This is a very distressing place to be, and even though you know in your head that it is for the long term good and many benefits will be gained, the experience causes a lot of alarm, anxiety and fear. Stress!

Post operative depression is the norm, but doesn’t appear to be discussed beforehand. Even though it is part and parcel of the experience. It is like being thrown in at the deep end! It IS being thrown in at the deep end! The deepest parts of one’s self! A kind of enforced retreat! With the addition of a profound experience of vulnerability and helplessness.

Hang on in there! X

• Posted

Jenny, thank you. I know I am not alone, being on this forum has been my life line, real people who have experienced this in such different ways. Feel better for reading your reply. Next is to read Chico's reply. Kind regards. Sue

• Posted

Post-Operative Depression...totally normal...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-and-post-operative-depression-604195

Jedi Mind Trick...kick its butt out the door...

• Posted

Have just read your original post about POD and it makes a lot of sense. Tomorrow, a new day, need to dust myself down and get on with it, there are plenty of folk out there worse off ! Thanks Chico. Sue
    • Posted

Totally true story.  My doc cousin was stunned that the surgeon never mentioned POD when it happens to the vast majority of patients.  You just have to realize that it's just an illusion and get on with your life.  When he told me, I got so p****d at the surgeon that the POD disappeared.  Do the same...it just gets in the way.

NOTE: Not saying that this is an immediate cure...there are brain chemicals involved.  However, it is powerful ammunition against those depressive feelings.  Lock and load.  Beat its a$$ down!!!

• Posted

Sue, I'm at about 4.5 weeks post left TKR. My right will be done at the 8 week mark (end of October). I get what you mean completely about the emotions. Mine are all over the place, including depression and discouragement. I found this forum only in the last week or so and it has already lifted my spirits. 

Be gentle with yourself, and remember that progress is not linear. I have had a set back in flexibility, but I've been able to move more, and my knee has been more swollen as a result. I'm terrible about being competitive with myself - a habit I'm trying to let go of.

Another user on this forum posted sage advice - your knee and body will take the time it needs to heal. Hard to hear when we humans are so impatient, especially with ourselves. 

Remember to give yourself permission to focus on yourself. Sleep when you need to (or can!). Nourish your body. Support your mind by journaling your thoughts. I've kept a daily journal for my first TKR and will add to it for my second. It has helped me to look back and realize, as an example, just how much difference 20 days can make. 

Sending you gentle hugs. Stay connected here. We're all walking similar walks and it's a help to lift each other up.

All my best,

- Nora

• Posted

Hi Nora. Thanks for your lovely reply. I have taken so much from this forum, it is a wonderful tonic too hear everyone's different recovery rates. Some who are jumping through hoops straight out of theatre ! and others who aren't quite so lucky. It is a lesson learned to read all the support and well wishes here, it keeps me moving forward. Kind regards. Sue

• Posted

Hi sue,im 58 and nearly 5weeks into recovery,and it's a long haul but every week will bring improvement,my only problem is no sleep 2-3hours split a night if I'm lucky not pain just discomfort but I'm not going to let it get me down as in the long run it will all come good,so stay positive and up beat Hun.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.