Feeling weird

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I've been on 20mg Citalopram for over 2 years and am trying to wean myself off them. I did get down to 10mg over a few weeks but have gone back to 15mg as I keep getting these weird disconnected feelings as if I'm trying to recall something but I don;t know what it is. It makes me feel a bit sick and tingly. Has anyone else experienced this? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sue, i have been on 15 mg for 8 months and have dropped down to 10mg 2 weeks ago. I  have been feeling a bit sick and tingly and spacy as well. It has been mild enough to ignore but I don't think I will cut down any more until I have vacation in August.

• Posted

Hi Vivian. Tingly and spacy is a good description. The feeling scares me a bit but I'll stick with it and hope it gets better over time. I sometimes feel as though I'm in a parallel world, not quite the real one! Hope you get on OK too.

• Posted

Best of luck to you too. I wish I had never started the stuff, it wasn't worth it with all the damn side effects starting the stuff or getting off them. Maybe they helped with the depression but definetly not with the anxiety or being able to think clearly.

• Posted

I tried citalopram, cymbals, Effexor and stopped all of them after just a few days on each of them. I was nauseous, tired, anxious, insomnia, ringing in ears, headache. I can't take any of these medicines. Just can't function. I don't understand how this stuff is prescribed. There is

No end to people commenting about the terrible side effects. When I am too anxious I just take a small dose xanax to calm me. At least that doesn't give me ill effects.

• Posted

Withdrawing can produce weird withdrawal effects.  I came off 20mg and took a year doing it and reduced by 5mg each time - this time I had no effects at all.  The slower the better.  I bought a pill cutter 20 / 15 / 10 / 5 / 2.5 / 1.25 (crushing the last 2 doses) and spent about 1-2 months on each reduction.

I had come off these before and did 20 down to 10 and then every other day - still doing it over many months, but had withdrawal brain zaps, feelings of being spacey, dizziness, nauseau.

But doing it the second time by 5mg was so much better.  Just don't be in a hurry.

• Posted

Hi sue,I stopped mine (40 mg) 11 days ago, just stopped taking them, I've felt horrid since but getting better everyday, at the minute I'm still suffering with the horrid taste in my mouth and headaches and this feeling you mention, I've found that if I eat it helps and I'm drink in plenty of water good luck

• Posted

Yes. I did exactly what katecogs did in 2013

took me a year 

i had been on them 6 months 

no withdrawal side effects at all

if I felt weird at any point I stayed on that dose for2/4 weeks too

but after 6 weeks off them completely having got down to 1.25 mg daily...I realised this is a chemical jump I need for life! 

Even withmeditation gym mindfulness counselling.... I went back on them this january

i am soooooo much more me...

• Posted

I forgot to say I actually reduced by 2.5 mg at a time

20/17.5. 20/17.5 2/4 weeks

17.5/17.5...

17.5/15...

and so on

until I was on 2.5 daily

then 1.25 a monthb

then I actually went to 1.25/0 1.25/0

it seems excessive but slow slow is the answer ...

No wonder it took me a year 😂😂

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up