Feeling weird on citalopram 10mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello i have been taking citalopram 10mg for just over 2 weeks. The first 4 or 5 days i felt really spaced out and not with it but after that it disappeared. I was feeling pretty good but this 2nd week has been pretty crap. Today i had a emotional breakdown and cried all morning and felt teary throughout the day. Iv also started to feel quite abit more depressed than usual and been having lots of anxious thoughts again! I feel so irritable and snappy aswell which doesnt help when u have children. Does this go? I just want to feel okay again sad

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie, 

Well done on getting to 2 weeks give really done the hardest part! Yes what your going through is very normal, your body is trying to stabilise the meds and unfortunately mood changes are normal with that. 

Try and relax where possible bubble baths helped me. It takes 4-6 weeks or in my case 8 weeks before the days got better - you will get there but it does take time 

• Posted

Thank you, i took fluoxetine a couple of years back and I felt so tired on them, citalopram doesn't seem to affect my tiredness which is such a plus! How long have u been taking citalopram for? Do u feel a lot better than before taking them? 

• Posted

I’ve been on them 5 years, started at 10mg and stayed there never increased. Last couple of months the anxiety has crept back in but I’m trying to deal with it without increasing my dosage. I’ve have also tried to come off them many times but couldn’t 
  • Posted

It’s great that you’ve done 2 weeks, those really are the hardest weeks. 

I have been on the same as you for about 2 and a half months and feeling a lot better. It does take a while for the tablets to get into your system. Some days I just wanted to stay in bed and not leave the house. Do what you need to do for this first bit. As the person above said, bubble baths also relaxed me! I put some relaxing music on a had relaxing baths. 

Keep going, it will get better! ❤️

• Posted

Hello, yes this week has been particularly difficult for me I seem to feel worse in the mornings with anxiety. Yes I just going to do the things that help me feel better when I feel down,I'm seeing the doctor on Thursday for a check up on the citalopram I'm worried she wil say take 20mg.. I feel ok on 10mg 

• Posted

If you feel ok on 10mg so far then make sure you tell the doctor that. I had a review meeting a month after starting and my doctor asked if I felt I needed to increase. I said I wanted to stay on 10 for longer as a month doesn’t really give enough time for it to fully get into your body and she said that’s fine and if I felt later on I needed to increase then I could go back to her to discuss it. 

It will definitely get better, the mornings were worse for me too and then the evenings but during the day when I was at work it usually took my mind off of it. I try to do a YouTube breathing video first thing in the morning x

• Posted

Its awful i feel more depressed than bedore taking them.. they have taken away the panic attacks and i feel like i have more energy than before
  • Posted

Hi.

Im on week 5 of citalapram and for the first few weeks I noticed I was extremely snappy, tired and anxious. I couldn't get out of bed but couldn't sleep at night either.. I started on 10mg then went up to 20mg.

I do feel calmer then usual but im still extremely tired all the time but im hoping this will change soon x

• Posted

Did u feel a difference on 20mg? I feel so depressed more than before taking them but it has helped with panic attacks.. i do feel anxious again
  • Posted

Much empathy for you and big 🤗 

Yes that's the way it works. It does take time everybody is right 

I spent my first few weeks just watching box sets on Netflix for distraction 

See my feed Sucess on Citalopram

To read it may help you

Yes it's my second time around. Have beennon20 mg since jan

Most of the time I am good

It's taken away that anxiety and am back to me

But life's problems never go away so be prepared for that!

But it does get better trust me

Keep going. Be very kind to yourself. It may be that you do need 20 mg...

That's the initial therapeutic starting dose

The lights started to come on thus time around 6/8 weeks

Much longer than 2013 when I was last on it

I too despaired

I know how u feel

Read the feed 🤗🤗

• Posted

I'm on my 4th day and the main symptoms I'm having is nausea, vomiting in the mornings (that's mainly because I take it at night) but I do this to avoid feeling spaced out at work all morning. I took citalopram for a year previously and it worked really well for me that's why I'm giving it another go. It's hard the first few weeks when you have the physical side effects but I'm just remembering last time I took them and it's keeping me going. When your body is used to them you start to feel the benefit. Reading these comments helps to keep going and ride it out smile

• Posted

Well done Sophie

It is hard isn't it and remember you may feel even worse over the next few weeks

I took mine at nite the first time but I was Not sleeping at all well initially second time.  I changed to mornings.  I shouldn't imagine it made much differance ... but I was desperate to sleep.  

I still get tired in the day

It's horses for courses and what suits isn't it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.