feeling worse with increased dosage

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello out there

just wondered if anyone has experienced similar. I had been on 10mg citalopram since January and the dose was increased to 20mg just over a month ago. Since then I have been feeling worse mentally. I find I can cope with everyday things better but not work. I was seeming to cope with work better on the 10mg and today, coming back after the long weekend I am worse than ever. Can't speak to anyone, just want to shut everything out or tell everyone where to go. I know I need to find a new job but trapped by money.

I saw the doctor on friday night who just said I will have up and down days which I already know but today is severe and I don't now what to do.

Is anyone else havinga bad time at work even though they are on the tablets?

kind regards

Marie

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Marie,

Im fairly new to this medication and last week my dose was upped from 20mg to 40mg.

I experienced a similar thing- as i felt more calm and enjoyed every day activities more, i found work progressively worse. I think for me this was because i didnt enjoy my job anyway and felt the distinction between activities i enjoyed and work more. Also work is one of the causes of my depression, so each day was like a minor setback.

Today i finally took the leap of faith and handed in my notice. im going to retrain in something i enjoy, and already feel calmer. You already know you need a new job, all i can say is start thinking about what you really want to do and see what happens. Finances are a burden, but you may find if you look into it that something comes up you hadnt considered.

I hope this helps!

All the best

Kate

• Posted

thank you so much for that Kate

I feel better now after hearing your story, I know that is what I have to do as like you, work is the main reason I am on the tablets too. I am studying at university but don't qualify for another 3 years but I still need to pay for the course and a mortgage etc. Th problem is that this job is fairly well paid for the area so I feel really trapped but I am starting to consider positions that I wouldn't have done before.

thanks again and good luck in your study

best wishes Marie

• Posted

Hi Marie,

Nice Name :D

I went from 20 to 40mg and it was like when i first started of all the bad side effects and hyper panic attacks, it does go after a week or so.

Good luck

Marie

• Posted

KAT203 and Marie

I can not believe what I have just read ! Marie ... Mentally how are you ? did the doctor on Friday make you feel OK or worse... what advise did he have for you?

KAT203 Sorry never posted to you before but are you sure you did the right thing? If you feel as if our did fair play. What are you going to do now?

Conserned Andy K xxx

• Posted

hello again

how are you feeling Marie on the 40mg, do you feel better on the higher dose?

Thank you for your concern Andy, actually the doctor was a locum, it was last thing before the easter weekend (thursday not friday, I am scatty) and I felt he couldn't be bothered. Normally my doctor takes time to talk and listen but this one didn't. I wanted to ask more questions but didn't because I knew he wasn't listening, didn't feel good when I got out of the surgery.

Mentally I am fine at home but here, now at work, absolutely awful, I can't think proerly and my head is fuzzy. If I think more than a few minutes ahead, I feel I can't cope, but like I say there isn't much I can do because there are not many other jobs out there, I thought the tablets would make me happier at work and calmer but its not working.

I wonder if the tablets have actually helped to highlight was is actually worng, I feel better in most other aspects now but obviously I spend a huge part of my life int his meaningless job and I don't know how much more i can take.

Sorry for rambling on but the feeling is awful

kindest regards to everyone

Mariexx

• Posted

Hi Andy K,

yes im sure i did the right thing. thought about it long and hard, but it got to the point where my weekend was ruined because i was constantly stressing about going back to work monday, and i felt sick every morning i had to go in. Ive given eight weeks notice so have time to sort myself out.

Luckily i dont really have any financial commitments and already looking for new things to tide me over. Plan is to do a course in environmental conservation.

I know its a bit of a gamble, but there is finally a light at the very end of the tunnel which hasnt been there for a long time.

hope everyone is doing ok, very glad i found this forum it has been a great support to me.

Kate x

• Posted

Marie,

not sure of your position at work but something which might be useful if you can would be to try and cut down by about three hours in the week and use it to do something you really enjoy just for you, whether its a class of some sort, a regular meet up with a friend or another activity.

if you could get the time mid working week it will give you a little break and something to look forward to at the start of the week. its only a few hours and shouldnt be too financially damaging.

it worked for me when i went from 5 to 4 days at work. it may just tide you over and give you some relief.

Is this an option for you?

Kate x

• Posted

hello again Kate

So glad you have been able to get out of your predicament, it is awful isn't it.

unfortunately there is no chance form me to work any less hours, they have cut staff and there is more pressure on us now, like you I worry about going in and feel sick in the mornings, I am at my desk now and could easily burst in to tears.

I have just phoned the doctor because my head is feeling very fuzzy, headachy and I feel slightly sedated, she has suggested reducing the citalopram back down to 10mg to see how I feel , I know it won't solve th e job issue but it might help my head right now, I could just lay down and go to sleep, I am sure the side effects shouldn't last this long.

Thank you for your support too, it is a good forum isn't it

Marie x

• Posted

Hi Marie

The higher dose is good for me it took a while to get used to but it has helped, the doc also added Diazepam to help me sleep. I still have good and very bad days but less bad days on the incressed dose. I cry more now but before i was angry and i would rather cry then go mental at every one and lose friends and family.

Good luck on this drug i hope your situation improves shortly.

Marie

• Posted

I have been on Citalopram since last summer. Started with 20mg, had no side effects and the benefits were instantaneous. Then increased to 30mg, was still good. In March started 40mg and now feeling much worse again - no energy, a bit shaky, worrying all the time, grinding teeth. I wonder if there is an optimal dose after which it gets worse again...
  • Posted

Hi Misscranky

Can I ask why your doctor increased your meds? You said you had benefits instantaeous on 20mg ?

I have gone from 10 to 20mg and doc said that I can carry on as I am for another month and then they will review.

xx

[quote:8ee1ec3b3c=\"misscranky \"]I have been on Citalopram since last summer. Started with 20mg, had no side effects and the benefits were instantaneous. Then increased to 30mg, was still good. In March started 40mg and now feeling much worse again - no energy, a bit shaky, worrying all the time, grinding teeth. I wonder if there is an optimal dose after which it gets worse again...[/quote:8ee1ec3b3c]

• Posted

Hi All

just wanted to know how every is on their increased dose as I have had mine increased 0n Monday. I have been having trouble at work as have been bullied by two work collegues since Christmas, it has now been noticed by big bosses and I was sent home on compassionate leave on full pay whilst they obtain a medical report from my doctor and move one of the people out of the office. I have inquired about councelling because I feel cross with myself for not being confident enough and strong enough not to to let these people get me down. i feel I have been through allot recently (cancer and loosing my dad) and I did not let either of those get me down. The increased dose is making me feel sick,tired and yawning all the time.Do the new lot of side effects go ?

Trying to stay positive

Andy K

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.