Feelings Can't be Right-Depression/Anxiety

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been on Fluoxetine for almost seven weeks now. I've heard that it takes awhile to make a difference but these feelings I feel can't be right. Daily, I'm unmotivated-hard to get up and do anything. I am spacey and somewhat disoriented. I never had these issues previous to the meds I've been prescribed to treat the anxiety which I believe led to depression. How do people survive these oppressive feelings? I am a single parent and it's so imperative I get back to being a mom, working and supporting my child but I am just so low. My mother is helping me, doing more than she should ever have to do at 78. I worry she will pass and I'll be stuck like this, unable to function. These feelings surely will go, won't they...this is taking forever....so sad and frustrated; demoralized and depressed.

3 likes, 24 replies

Report / Delete

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi kim they can take about 8 weeks to start having a good effect .im a single mum too and the added pressure to be well makes anxiety worse. Id say give them another week or so providing ur not suicidal or anything. Then if no change u may nd something different or a higher dose. Hugs. Going thru the same xxx ur not alone x :0)
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi kim my advice is the same as amandas but if your not feeling any better at all then go back to your gp it seems like forever when your waiting for your tablets to work but there is light at the end of the tunnel its just a matter of time and remember to keep in touch with your gp if you dont tell them how you feel they wont know. Hope your feeling better soon
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you...I feel like it's been such a roller coaster ride with no relief; I honestly don't think my gp can help. I've had the worst luck with doctors. People on this site often say to give it months...I'm almost to seven weeks I believe...just hard to live through this.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hopefully these sensations soon should become less, you should be getting the benefits. Give another week then make an appointment and discuss with your GP

You should be calming down and start to function better. Has your GP arranged any CBT for you.

Try Mindfulness, that is a Relaxation Technique, you will get instructions on the web.

If you feel the need to check on your side effects, look on the NHS CHOICES website. under medications A to Z, and put your mind to rest

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey kim i have only recently found a dr who has a genuine compassion regarding mental health & is so caring & has made me feel i can do this i can make it. & ive had 3 inpatient stays on psychi units since 2000 but none since 2008. I know with help already from this forum we will all get there anxiety is just awful. Talk as much as u need to xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Amanda....did you experience any of these symptoms and are still waiting, pushing through? This just seems never ending and painful; never knew moods could hurt....
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Unsure as to wether my moods hurt as such kim. But my anxiety physically hurts. Causes irritabity i cant at tyms sit still. My stomachs in knots etc xx wat hurts is my own thoughts telling me im not a good mum or i shud be doing more when im not motivated but i know in my rational sides im doing a grt job giving my daughter all i didnt have.. wat kind of pain seems to be your biggest prob @ mo due to ur moods? X
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi...I think it's just that I've had no periods of feeling like myself since I started meds...I felt better with just panic attacks and no meds...felt I could think more clearly...Now, my moods shift all the time...tearful some days, flat and agitated the next or high anxiety...it's unlivable...I have no good doctor either...so frustrating.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

God it must be xx i think maybe fluoxetine may not be the ryt one for u after all. Dont just stop tho that cld make u worse. Can u find another practice??? This needs sorting start to get u back to yrself xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I was hoping it would work; many have said 8-12 weeks should feel better but this is for the birds...I hate not feeling well...I'm sorry for your anxiety too as I suffer that as well....I pray for intervention; that we will be freed of these conditions....I appreciate your support.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

U too. I also hope for that. Sooner rather than later. People have advised me that the gym helps whist awaiting meds to work. I hate it so no gud for me dont know if ur well enough for that yet ir if u are apparently it works wonders??? Xx who knows :0)
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up