Feelings of doom in mornings

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having anxiety and panic attacks for the last 4 months but it seems morning is always my worst. It's really a tough feeling to describe. It starts about a minute after waking up. I toss and turn when I wake up and just lay there in a panic until it's time to get up. Everything seems so scary when I get up and feel sort of lightheaded or just really foggy brained and like I don't want to face anyone. I feel like I am about to be attacked or something terrible is fixing to happen. This feeling just makes me panic and think about the rest of the day and why I feel like this. As the day progresses it seems to subside around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and evening even more so and then by night I mostly feel normal. It makes me not even want to go to bed because I know it's all going to start over in the morning. Does anyone else feel this way and have any idea why? It's like I'm not even me for the first half or more of the day.

Thanks

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

This is exactly how I feel too. Wake in the morning straight into extreme anxiety almost panic. I usually do some mindfullness or self hypnosis tape which helps me get up and force some breakfast down. Then as you say in the afternoon about 4pm it settles down and by evening I feel normal again. Appetite comes back for dinner. A psychologist told me this is because in the evening the day is over, nothing awful has happened and you feel safe. I think it may be something to do with raised cortisol levels in the morning. I have been taking 50 mg Dothep for the past six weeks which hasn't helped at all, except perhaps for sleep. The only thing that really helps is ativan or valium but these are strongly discouraged due to addiction problems. Helpful reading this forum and finding you are not alone.
  • Posted

Mornings are horrendous for me. I'll wake up and have that gut wrenching feeling of doom, I'll feel spsacey and panicky. I will often work myself up so much I'll feel sick and sometimes be sick. Every day I have to force myself to get ready and go to work but I'm so scared of bad things happening. I feel light headed and anxious about the day ahead, all I want to do is not leave my house. It does get better throughout the day, and when I get home from work and start to relax in the evening it mostly subsides.

How are you on weekends or days when you haven't got commitments? I'm starting to feel like this is agoraphobia in some respect, because on a weekend these symptoms don't happen to me, because I know that I don't have to go out if I don't want to, and if I do go out I'll have my partner with me. I keep trying to tell myself that if it doesn't happen on weekends there's no need for it to happen on weekdays, but alas it still does and it's ruining my life.

• Posted

I still wake up panicky on weekends too. It seems to subside earlier though then it does on weekdays. Today is a new morning and of course I am feeling the same again. Shaky on the inside like I'm scared to death about something but I shouldn't be. Hoping this subsides soon and I get some relief. I just feel in such a daze and a fog and that scares me even more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.