feels I'm straining to breathe

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the past hour after having a strepsil my breathing has been strained like when I breathe in it feels heavy and tight my throat feels tight I'm sat listening to music and relaxed I can breathe but this sensation I horrible I'm getting really worried right now that this may be the end why is my breathing the main thing I don't understand why it's my breathing that keeps getting good effected my neck muscle even hurts a bit when I move my neck or breathe in deep feel like I'm going crazy now I have had so much resurrect but still this breathing problem is not going away !! I just want to feel normal again I can't cope with been like this any longer I can't keep going through every day feeling I'm struggling to breathe and doctors just turning there nose down at me 😢😭 everyday I'm suffering how can hospital/doctors put this down to anxiety I can't help but think there's something else I'm going to be dead before they find out

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Anxiety makes every and any muscle tight, including throat muscles. That's why the lump in the throat problem is so common. The more you focus on it, the worse it'll be. Its hard to stop thinking about I know
    • Posted

It's not like a lump though it's like hands are wrapped around my throat / voice box or whatever it is
  • Posted

It is anxiety and one of the common symptoms of panic attacks...people go to the hospital all the time thinking they are dying and doctors are used to it... Some are more understanding than others. You need to see a therapist to learn ways of handling it when it happens. I have lots of other symptoms but not this one but they are all the same, part of the fight or flight response in the body when it perceives a threat
    • Posted

Hi thanks for reply this is what I don't understand I am on constant worry with my health ext but my panic attacks have stopped I don't have them but I still have breathing symptoms and other weird symptoms all day long like iv had a headache now that been 3 weeks ! But I have no panic attacks I don't know why they stopped even my cbt worker was like how did you stop them I was like they just dissappear
    • Posted

Anxiety and panic are closely related and often overlap. I was diagnosed with health anxiety and panic disorder and i can get huge amounts of anxiety and symptoms that never progress to a panic attack and i can get a massive panic attack out of the blue on a day when i feel calm and have no stress!  It's bizarre and has no pattern, but the anxiety symptoms are definately better when i do controlled breathing and exercise and force myself to think positive thoughts
    • Posted

Thank you I have to force myself to positive thoughts but anxiety is stronger then me so it wins 😡makes me tiered to be fair and I have headaches from the stress hopefully one day they will be a cure wouldn't wish this on anybody it's like your minds a prison
    • Posted

I have to force myself too. But it works!  We can learn to live with our anxiety, and it does make you appreciate the good days more when you come out of a bad spell
    • Posted

A great medication for contant worry is Busprin. I take .5mgs three times a day. Works great. Ask your Dr.
  • Posted

Yes, this sounds just like anxiety.  I used to get panic attacks, until I gave myself a good talking to via my ipad. I recorded a message to myself, really laying it on the line.   It really helps telling yourself just how pathetic you are,how you're  letting it take over your life and being determined to make it stop. I had a visit to London a few weeks ago that normally would have had me pacing the floor all night and having breathing problems and butterflies in my stomach - all that stopped after my recording.   The trouble is, you're concentrating on every little breath, twinge, ache and pain which certainly won't be helping.  Your body is geared up for the flight or fight that's caused by the adrenalin your body is pouring out and, because you aren't fighting or flying everything feels worse.  I read that actually doing something to use it up can help.  Instead of lying down trying to listen to music I did some star jumps and walked up and down but it's hard to do it in the middle of the night in case it causes too much noise.   Have you got some way of using up all that energy, an exercise bike perhaps, that way you could concentrate on cycling and it would help you keep fit as well, a win win situation!

I suppose you ought to think "Do I feel like this ALL the time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week or do I have calm times and then I feel bad?   If you REALLY had something wrong with you it would be all the time but, if you can have times when you're concentrating on something else and you feel calm then this must surely convince you that it's just panic.  By the way, another thing I did to help cure my anxiety was to stop reading all the messages on the anxiety board.  Lots of people have lots of different symptoms and, if you read about them all, you'll eventually start thinking that you're having some or all of their symptoms as well as your own.  I only occasionally come on here, usually deleting all the messages that come into my Inbox without opening them when I see they're from this board and that has really helped.  I know people feel better by sharing their symptoms with others but maybe you're all fuelling each others anxiety so why not try not coming on this board for a week or so and see you feel, that and trying a bit of exercise whenever you get a panic attack and see if that works. Good Luck.

• Posted

Thank you makes a lot of sense the way you put it again it's down to lack of understanding as much as somebody explains how fight and flight works it just don't sink in its crazy I had half a hour free from this breathing thing it's just come back again I axially wrote to myself I was in habit of writing symptoms ext down and I wrote a note to myself that helped my panic attacks but then I thought this was anxiety a sign I'm dieing slowly ! As my grandads dieing and his symptoms are breathing problems for 8 months now and ext ext and I felt maybe I'm dieing with him maybe along the way I picked up a breathing habit as iv had breathing problems for 3 months now after been rushed to hospital I don't know but thank you because you explained it in a way that I could understand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.